TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Camper One

Default How are the counter tops attached on the TM???

I just bought a used 3124KB and I need to do some TLC to get it up and running correctly.

The stereo is broken and I want to replace it. It looks like I will have to pull out the fridge to get to it...OR...if the counter top is simply glued down with silicoln I think I can just pop off the top and get to the stereo from above.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...THANKS!!!
Old 11-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

The radio is a standard car type DIN cage that locks the radio into an opening. You might need some small strips of sheet metal that slide into the left and right sides that release a barb and once that happens, the radio slides right out.

When I bought a car radio to put into that per-cut opening that TrailManor cuts for you (and they did a great job with that opening since it was of perfect size) the DIN cage included a sheet metal key that slides into the left and right sides to release the barb that holds the radio in. The key was like .25" high and something like .01" thick of sheet metal.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
commodor47
Site Sponsor

As Britany Dogs indicates, there is a standard tool used to remove the radio - see attached thumbnails.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony Radio Removal0001a.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	7969   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0422a.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	7970  
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
myersm

If you do decide tp pull the countertop, they are all screwed in place. Unfortunately you have to remove the Frige to get to the screws. I just recently pulled all my countertops to relaminate them... and I had to take out the stove, sink, frige, and hot water heater to get to all the screws...
2002 3023
2002 Chevy Avalanche
myersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
Camper One

Thanks for the feedback.

I want to install a cigarette lighter socket next to the stereo so as to have power for a small inverter to charge my laptop.

I'll try to reach through the opening to wire up the lighter socket.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper One View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I want to install a cigarette lighter socket next to the stereo so as to have power for a small inverter to charge my laptop.

I'll try to reach through the opening to wire up the lighter socket.
Isn't there a socket on the side of the fridge already?

If you do want to install (anything) onto that front panel: Go from the back of the fridge. Take off the top outside panel, then unscrew the metal shield above the venting coils on the back of the fridge (one screw, also holds up the dryer/vent hose). There's a piece of insulation behind the shield on top of the fridge, just take that out and you'll have access to the back of the panel where the radio sits -- and the back of the radio if you need it. I've installed several switches, a digital thermometer/controller for the fridge, and rewired the power & antenna to the radio this way, by far the easiest access IMO.

When you're done, just put back the insulation, the shield, and the single screw (making sure to fix the vent hose at the same time!) and you'll be good to go. Takes me <30 seconds to get access this way.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
Camper One

>Go from the back of the fridge. Take off the top outside panel, then unscrew the metal shield above the venting coils on the back of the fridge

THANK YOU for the advice!!!

Last night after it was too late to do anything I looked at the outside panels you mentioned. How do you remove the plastic grille looking panels? Specifically there are plastic square like clips that are holding the panels on. I tried briefly to click them out with a small screwdriver with no luck. Since I did not want to booger up the plastic clips I thought I would ask first...is there a special tool used for these things or some other way to do this?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I use a dime to give them a quarter turn in either direction.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Pretty much anything to turn 90 degrees, either direction. I use my fingers. Simple twist, bottom then pulls out. Look at the clips, you need to fit them back into their little slots to put it back together, then another 1/4 twist to lock. Super easy once you've done it once or twice.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
Camper One

Thanks!!!