TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-25-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
dhickethier

Default What do I use for bare spots on roof and walls?

My lower roof piece has a lot of bare metal where the vinyl seal of the top roof piece rides on the lower roof piece. This may be indicative of a bigger problem, but what do I use to cover/seal the bare metal? I am trying to attach a photo.

I have a similar problem on one or two spots on my exterior walls and assume I can use the same material to seal the walls.

I've read lots of posts but could not find an answer to this question.

Dennis Hickethier
Gettysburg, PA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TM Roof rub1v2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	1443  
Old 08-26-2006, 09:54 AM   #2
macdasher

Howdy, I'm in the same boat. My new (used) trailmanor's top seal has completely worn through the paint and is now working on the aluminum underneath. It appears that there should be a plastic strip that goes across the roof as there is one that appears broken on the sides of mine.

I'm going to give the factory parts guys a call early next week. They've been real helpful with other issues so far.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:00 PM   #3
PopBeavers

My 2005 TM 2720 came with clear plastic tape attached at all roof locations where the upper shell rubs the lower shell.

I think that some other have posted on this topic. I believe that it was only recently that the factory has started adding the tape to the wear points.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:36 PM   #4
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

My '06 2720 has worn thru the ceiling paint on the interior front shell where the back shell seal rubs.
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:11 PM   #5
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

I belive that TM stresses that you clean the seals. This will keep the abrasive dirt from rubbing the finish off as they move slightly during travel. Look up Dennys tips for cleaning.
YWORRYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:58 PM   #6
dhickethier

Default Bare spots on roof

I finally did a search for this topic (bare spots) and found that many owners are applying a polyurethane tape at the rub points. The tape can be found at http://www.mcmaster.com/, enter 3245 in the search box and it will take you to that page in the catalog. It is a 3 inch wide UHMW polyethelene tape.

Seems this is a common problem (read the postings after using the search on the owner's pages) so I think this is what I'll do. Hope that helps.

Dennis H.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:44 AM   #7
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

After we realised what was happening the second time out, the wife, being nimbler than I, has been hopping up on the front bed after the rear shell is down and wiping the seal down. Hasn't helped. I wonder how funky that tape will look on the inside?
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 07:16 AM   #8
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhickethier
I finally did a search for this topic (bare spots) and found that many owners are applying a polyurethane tape at the rub points. The tape can be found at http://www.mcmaster.com/, enter 3245 in the search box and it will take you to that page in the catalog. It is a 3 inch wide UHMW polyethelene tape.

Seems this is a common problem (read the postings after using the search on the owner's pages) so I think this is what I'll do. Hope that helps.

Dennis H.
Thanks for the very helpful link. Our TM has developed a wear spot on the ceiling of the front shell. At first we thought it was dirt. A closer inspection revealed metal is starting to show through. I am going to order the UHMW tape from McMaster. They list 3 different tape thicknesses. I will assume, for the sake of appearance, the thinner the better and hope it will still offer enough ceiling (wear) protection. The only thing left is to paint (hopefully match) the worn spot on the ceiling before applying the UHMW tape.

It is interesting that only the curb side of ceiling has the wear spot. Maybe adjusting the corner latch(s) (tighter or looser?) would help alleviate the problem.
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 07:33 AM   #9
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

We have this same wear spot on the inside, but it's on the door side. Must be an adjustment thing, as you mention. The window curtain on that side is always dirty, too, in a spot that lines up with the mark on the ceiling.

I've ordered the tape too. Really appreciate all the tips from this site.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:40 AM   #10
Bill & Lisa

We have had the problem show up in two spots. Street side, outside on the lower shell where the upper shell seal bears down on it, the rub was actually on the side wall and around on the top. We sanded and primed and painted it white again and added more tape we got from the dealer. It didn't last long. I will try the McMaster tape.

Inside on the interior of the front shell where it rubs on the lower shell seal when closed. I was able to clean most of the black off with soft scrub and then cleaned all of the seals (climbing in through the front once the back was lowered. Went back out camping this weekend and the marks were as bad as ever.

I am with Speckl8r. I may try some of that tape on the inside too!

Bill

Tags
black marks, tape