TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-11-2006, 07:15 AM   #1
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

Default Coleman Low Profile Roof Mounted Airconditioners

As best as I can tell, everyone who has a Coleman low profile roof mounted airconditioner is NOT happy with the amount of noise they produce. I'd like to hear from anyone who's had reason (failure) to replace it.

Has anyone changed to another brand (Penguin Duo Therm/Carrier)?

If so, is it as noisy as the Coleman?

I wonder if there is something about the construction of Trailmanors that makes the airconditioner so noisy?

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:07 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

My 2002 2720SL had a DuoTherm unit in the roof - this was before Low Profile was introduced. It was just as noisy as the low-profile Coleman in my 2006.

One of our members - Mike Laupp? - found a way to substantially decrease the noise level. But remember, if you are going to move a lot of air, you need either
o a remotely located fan and ductwork
o a big low speed fan, or
o a small high speed fan.
The first two aren't practical in a TM. The third is noisy almost by definition.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:13 AM   #3
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

I've added some "premium" sound proofing material using the Mike's methodology. Just seems like there's got to be something quieter... maybe a Honda inverter airconditioner

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
Old 12-13-2006, 07:21 PM   #4
Cowboy Cody

Default Ear Plugs

Why not buy some ear plugs? Maybe 15 cents a pair.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:29 PM   #5
Freedom

Check out the noise cancelling earphones: http://www.bose.com/controller?event...5318src=k15318
Old 12-14-2006, 03:10 AM   #6
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

These good suggestions are appreciated, but it's not about walking around the TM like airport ground crew. Would be nice to be able to hear the ocean waves when camping at the beach, or whatever sounds nature provides.

I don't want to come across as a whinner about this issue. It's definitely not a deal breaker and we live with it. It's more of a "would be nice" if... One thing for sure the Coleman works great. It has no trouble subduing 90% humidity with tempartures in the high 90s. Without the Coleman we wouldnt be out there at all.

I have been in TTs with ducted airconditioning and have noticed how quiet they are. At some point I may take a stab at making some kind of folding/or removable (velcro) ducts.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
Old 12-14-2006, 07:24 PM   #7
MidwestDave

Question Noise Vs. Cool

Well it may be noisey but it's certainly better than the heat and humidity here in the midwest. I'll keep my Coleman thank you!

Midwest Dave
Northwestern Illinois
Old 12-15-2006, 09:15 AM   #8
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default Agree with Grill-n-Go... but,

I agree that the air conditioner noise is a negative factor, but this isn't just with TrailManor. All our PU campers with air conditioning had the same issue.

It would be nice to be able to have a conversation inside, at normal speaking volume, but - as noted in the posts - the noise is the tradeoff for having a really good air conditioner so we can camp during the dog days of summer. Most of the time, our air conditioner is off and isn't a factor.

Merry Christmas!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:07 AM   #9
pbuck1

Well, I've never heard what the roof air conditioners sound like, but from the reports, my old-style side a/c must be quite a bit quieter. It certainly doesn't prevent conversations at a normal volume in the main cabin and we sleep quite happily with it operating, too.
Maybe if someone was willing to give up a few cubic feet of storage space, they could install a quieter side a/c as a 2nd unit and use the roof coleman in a supplemental mode only (with a manual switch between the units).

-Paul
Old 12-17-2006, 04:44 PM   #10
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

If the side style airconditioners are your traditional window units you may have an idea worth thinking about. There are plenty of models out there including some VERY quiet ones.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4