TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-14-2005, 04:14 PM   #1
Firefly

Question Broken License PLate Holder

Hi...

One of the "hole things" (highly technical term) that the screw goes through on the license plate holder of our TM recently broke off. Has anyone else had this happen and how did you repair...replace or fix it?

Thanks,

Tami
Old 05-14-2005, 10:11 PM   #2
Larry_Loo

Question What's the "Hole thing?"

When you say the "Hole thing," are you referring to a part of the metal/plastic frame around the license plate itself or one of the two rectangular, rubber tabs from which the license plate is suspended? If it's the frame that's broken, then it can be replaced with a new frame. If it's one of the thick rubber tabs that's broken off, then it may be best to order an entire new rubber piece from the TM factory. To install the new one it appears that you will have to remove part of the rear light (lens cover and base plate at least), place the rubber mount underneath with silicone sealant applied to both faces and screw the light back together. If your TM has a special type of license plate frame which I can't visualize and a part of it has broken off, you'll have to post a better description of it. A photo would help us also.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:33 AM   #3
Firefly

Red face oops...slow brain day

Hi Larry!

Yes...it's the rectangular tab (that hangs down) that has snapped off. Sorry for my poor description of the situation.

I actually just walked out there and looked at it again. I can see now how that part could be removed to be replaced. I'll call TrailManor tomorrow and order one.

Garry just said to me when I was out there..."you didn't put that as a question on the forum did you? I know how to fix that!" oops!!!

Thanks,
Tami
Old 06-05-2005, 02:47 PM   #4
Freedom

I just looked at our license plate bracket and one of the tabs is broken on it, too. (cheap plastic) It appears that it is part of, or underneath the left light fixture. I'll investigate more closely when it's not raining. If it is under (behind) the light I'm thinking; make an aluminum plate and replace the whole thing. The same if it's part of the light, cut the other tab off and replace it with a plate that goes all the way across and seal it all back up. I thought about just screwing the license plate to the sheet metal, but that may be a source of leaks later. Anybody repaired this problem?
Old 06-05-2005, 03:43 PM   #5
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

This looks like what is on my TM:

https://www.rvpartsoutlet.com/newsto...883D5ADFFD924B
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 05:31 PM   #6
Freedom

Now I have to do something! I just went out and looked more closely at the license plate hanger - it does look like the one rtcassel (Tim) mentioned, but when I moved the license plate a little to see how badly it had cracked, it came off in my hand! The whole process just came a lot more urgent! Tomorrow morning my saga begins -if it's not raining! Sure glad it broke now and not out on the road somewhere.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:44 PM   #7
TandemKids

Default Worthless License Plate Holder

Jim,

Yes, we experienced the same problem with our license plate holder. It had a series of cracks throughout and broke into little pieces when I touched it. Obviously, it was made of cheap plastic that was not UV resistant. I fashioned a new one out of aluminum and have not had any more problems.

Michael
Old 06-07-2005, 04:47 PM   #8
Larry_Loo

Question Flapping of plate causes fatigue cracking

I believe that the flapping of a TM's license plate back and forth during highway travel may cause fatigue cracking of the synthetic rubber tabs. My tabs so far have not cracked but a couple of months ago I mounted a hardwood block spacer between the back of the license plate and the exterior wall of the TM. The block is fastened to both surfaces with double-stick carpet tape. This keeps the license plate from flapping and may prevent the rubber mounting tabs from failing.