TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-24-2017, 09:03 PM   #1
Georgia Boy

Default Power Lift Torsion Adjustment?

We just got a 2001 TrailManor 3124 King and it is not very easy to lift up.I heard there is a way to make it easier to lift up by adjusting the torsion bars.I tried to tighten the large bolts on the bottom corners of the frame just like it said in the manual,but not any better.Can someone please help save my aching back?
Georgia Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:07 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

First, be sure that you are adjusting the correct bolts. It is easy to get the front-lift bolts confused with the rear-lift bolts. Each shell has four adjustment bolts. Two are near the corners of the trailer, and two are closer to the center.

If you want to adjust the front shell, for example, you would first raise the front shell (don't adjust while the shell is down), then follow each of the white rectangular lift arms to its bottom end, follow the black round torsion bar under the trailer to the opposite side, and follow the stub of the torsion bar into its cage. Now you know which bolt to adjust. Adjust all four of them the same amount, at least in the beginning.

2. Has anything weighty been added to the shell, inside or out? Something light, like another vent fan should be OK, but a solar panel or two would make it hard to lift.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:34 AM   #3
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Also keep in mind being level really affects how easy it is to lift the shellls. The front shell is tough to lift if the nose is high, and vise-versa.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
Georgia Boy

Default adjustment questions

Thanks for the replies.I got a big monkey wrench and tried to turn the torsion adjustment bolts and they were very hard to turn.I was only able to get them to budge.It looked like they had plenty of thread showing though
.Is it possible they are just rusted up?All was done while tops were up.I was told the torsion bars could be sprung and need to be replaced.I dont know what to do at this point.The nearest service center is 4 1/2 hours away.I told the Trail Manor people that they should make a few You Tube service videos to help out the folks that were too far from service techs.I love the Trail Manor Idea,but we are seeing a lot of issues with our 2001 .Once they get older things dont seem to align and connect properly and as with all older R.V.'s leaks,leaks,leaks.
Georgia Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:13 PM   #5
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Yes they can be hard to turn if they have not been turned for 15 years plus years and maybe some rust. Before I would even try to tighten them. I would from the top side spray the threads with PB Blaster and a second choice WD-40. I would let it sit for a day.

When you do adjust those bolts, have the shells up. Much easier to turn them when there is no load on the bolts.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:09 AM   #6
handjstar

I had to put a 2 foot piece of steel pipe over my monkey wrench to get leverage to move it but it did and made a big difference in opening. Do let it soak with lubricant overnight first. Pipe is handy for cracking lug nuts on wheels
also
handjstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:21 AM   #7
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Also make sure the adjustment is not already as tight as it goes. Must be some clearance between the top of the bar and the adjustment slot. I just change 1/4 turn on all four on each module at a time. Test that it is still easy to close, is a fine balance between easy to open and easy to close.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #8
guyindfw

I am having issues with the lower door pin sliding into the clip. It is about 1/2" from sliding in. This means that the lower door has to be pushed up and in to get the door to latch. I'm hoping that by adjusting the torsion bars on the front box, it will move it to the rear, allowing the door pin to slide into the clip. I tried it with the box up and couldn't get it to move (put a 3' cheater on my socket bar). Lowered it (it looked like this might relieve the the pressure on the bar) and shot it for a couple of days with WD-40. Tried to move it lowered, and couldn't get anything to move. I'm hoping that when I open it in the morning, with the box raised, something will move. I'm also hoping this will move the front box back some. Did you notice any change in your door placement?
guyindfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:25 AM   #9
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyindfw View Post
I am having issues with the lower door pin sliding into the clip. ... I'm hoping that by adjusting the torsion bars on the front box, it will move it to the rear
Wrong adjustment. The torsion bar is only to ease lifting/lowering. There is a bolt at the top of the lift arm that is only visible with the shell closed. This engages a stop in the lift arm pocket in the shell. It's called the "pocket stop". Carefully level the trailer, then stick a magnetic inclinometer (hardware stores have them) on the lift arm and get each arm adjusted to 0 degrees. That should be close to right for the door. Further adjust the arms until the top and bottom of the door are aligned horizontally.

It is also possible to adjust the shell height by loosening the 4 bolts holding the torsion bar in the lift arm and lifting the shell with a farm jack. Danger: tighten the bolts before lowering the shell. There is a lot of stored energy in the torsion bars when the shells are closed, releasing it could whip parts around and cause death or injury.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:27 PM   #10
Steppy

Since I came back from a trip this weekend, I’m having a tough time closing the door. I noticed that the front shell lift arms are not exactly perpendicular. So the pocket stop adjustment can only be accessed with the TM closed? Why wouldn’t a small level work rather than a magnetic inclinometer?
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Curt WDH Trunnion 800 # TW
Steppy is offline   Reply With Quote