TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #21
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Some little voice was telling me to "search" Carter Lake before posting. I don't think I can compete with the first picture in this thread, I'm happy to say

You can get a much more user friendly site when you are the only ones camping in five (I think) campgrounds. We are at South Shores. This time of year it's $15 per night plus a daily "permit" fee of $7. Two of the campgrounds have electric and we're getting gobs of channels with just the antenna and my Iphone works. This would have been a great chance to take the solar panel out for a spin but I just can't make myself not use the silent oil heater.

Malinda
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carter Lake South Shores 001.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	5621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carter Lake South Shores 002.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	5622   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carter Lake South Shores 003.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	5623  
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #22
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
Your trailer is the heaviest of TM's single-axle models, so 65 PSI isn't as "insanely bad" as it would be with mine. And if you load the trailer really heavy, it might not even be that far off. But unless the tire is "loaded up" very close to it's maximum rated load, all the manufacturers of ST tires recommend that air pressure be reduced. Here's the table from Maxxis; my Goodyear "Marathon table" contains the exact saame pressure recommendations, even though the two brands don't offer all of each others' sizes:

ST225/75R15, maximum speed rating 65MPH

LOAD LIMIT ..... RECOMMENDED
(lbs per tire) ..... INFLATION (psi)

1430 .................. 25
1600 .................. 30
1760 .................. 35 (max for Load Range B )
1880 .................. 40
2020 .................. 45
2150 .................. 50 (max for Load Range C )
2270 .................. 55
2380 .................. 60
2540 .................. 65 (max for Load Range D )
2620 .................. 70
2720 .................. 75
2830 .................. 80 (max for Load Range E )

It's a bad idea to inflate to more than about 10 PSI above the listed pressure (cold PSI) for the load which you're putting on the tire -- bad the TM, because the contents get shaken; bad for the TorFlex, because it has to handle almost all of the road roughness by itself (with hardly any help from the tires); bad for handling, because the tires can't "flex" properly; and bad for the tires too (stead of bending as designed, they undergo unintended stresses-- perhaps creating more microscopic cracks in the process.)

If I ran my tires the way TM recommends, it would be like those old "Flintstones" cartoons. How Wilma's hair stayed perfect, while Fred kept hitting potholes with tires made of rocks, I just don't know.
TM says "65 PSI, the maximum on the sidewall." Goodyear and Maxxis say, for me, about (CORRECTED) 39-40 PSI minimum inflation-- and I that believe Goodyear knows more about this than TM does. I run at 48-50 PSI most of the time. My 2619 is a lot lighter than your 3124, but 65 PSI might be too much in your case too. Have you ever visited a truck scale, loaded up in your "normal" way?
I don't know where these numbers come from but I have never seen anything like this. What does wmtire say? The information I have from Goodyear, not TM says to run the 15" marathons at 65psi. I have never had a tire failure from running them at the makers recommendations. I have had tire failures from alignment issues. My neighbor runs his tires lower then what the maker recommends on a much lighter trailer then a TM and is always having failures.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #23
brulaz

Think that loading/pressure info comes from http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rvbrochure.pdf

But then Goodyear also says to use the RV Manufacturer's suggested tire pressure. Which in my case is 65 psi regardless of the load.