TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

No tail lights / parking lights in the light fixtures themselves. But the running lights at the top edge of the rear shell are OK. So it sounds like the problem is somewhere in the rear wall of the rear shell, which is what you said, I think.

Did you actually physically remove the light fixtures from the rear of the TM? (By "fixture", I mean the one that contains brake light, parking lights, backup lights, license plate light, etc.) They are probably screwed into place, and you'll have to cut the caulk bead to get them off. Once off, though, you should have pretty good access to the wall cavity where the wires and connectors are located. And I bet that on one side or the other (probably driver's side), you'll be able to see where the wires branch apart to the various destinations.

I have no idea how you would get an inside panel off the TM wall.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:15 PM   #12
2bcs1jrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
No tail lights / parking lights in the light fixtures themselves. But the running lights at the top edge of the rear shell are OK. So it sounds like the problem is somewhere in the rear wall of the rear shell, which is what you said, I think.
I said that but now we know that we do not have the running lights at the top of the rear shell or in the taillights.

All we have are brake lights and flashers back there.

we did remove that plate and found a hole the size of a quarter where the wires come out of the wall. Can't see much in there.
Maybe we have to cut the hole bigger but I hate to do that

Cheri
Old 07-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bcs1jrt View Post
Somewhere between where the wires run along inside the wall of the shell is likely where the problem is.
We apparently have no running or taillights to the rear shell. We do have flashers and brake lights.

Does anyone know the best way to access these wires?

We don't want to start taking things apart without a little knowledge, ya know??

Cheri
There are some wires running along the middle of the ceiling channel...there is a plastic piece covering the channel. I don't know if that is the tail lites, or just the inside overhead lites.

Chap
Old 07-28-2008, 12:46 PM   #14
2bcs1jrt

I thought that too. I have some wires running up the middle of the front shell to the fantastic fan but none in the rear shell strip.

Cheri
Old 07-28-2008, 12:53 PM   #15
mtnguy

I rechecked the middle channel just now, and it is a black and white wire......indicating the dome lites according to the wiring chart. Sorry about that.

On my wiring diagram, the running lite wires are shown as a green wire, with the white being a ground. The diagram also indicates that all of the rear lites are grounded to the exterior skin, but it the ground is bad you wouldn't have brake and turn signal lites.

There is also a statement: "Wires are routed along the lift arm to connectors inside the bottom refridgerator vent access panel", but I think that has already been covered in this thread.

Chap
Old 07-28-2008, 01:03 PM   #16
2bcs1jrt

yes and the voltmeter showed power is getting that far.
I know that my TM is much older and smaller than most and therefore might be different but if anyone had a wiring diagram I'd love to see it

Cheri
Old 07-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #17
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bcs1jrt View Post
yes and the voltmeter showed power is getting that far.
I know that my TM is much older and smaller than most and therefore might be different but if anyone had a wiring diagram I'd love to see it

Cheri
Cheri,

I sent you the 2 wiring diagrams that I have via your listed email.

Hope this helps.

Chap
Old 07-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #18
2bcs1jrt

Thanks so much. I will print them and take them home to DH. It certainly will help us follow the wires back. I thought they would be running along the bottom edge of the shell. That would have been a bad start taking off all that trim and stirrups for not.
If anyone else has gone in there and has pearls of wisdom or warnings for us. Please let me know!!
I really appreciate that.

Cheri
Old 07-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #19
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

Cheri,

I also lost the running lights on my rear shell about 4 years ago on my 1999 TM (similar vintage to your 1996). It ended up being connections under the trailer. If I remember correctly the wire came out near the bottom of refrig and runs a short distance along the bottom before being routed to the support arm for the rear shell. The support arm has a plastic/vinyl tube which all the wires from the bottom of the trailer are routed or the wires maybe ty wrapped to the arm. I followed the connection from the support arm to underneath the bottom of the trailer. I found a mechanical butt splice. Actually, there are a few connections there. I pulled the mechanical butt splice connection apart. The connection is very similar to a four pin RV to TV connector except it is only one pin. Once I cleaned the connection I got my rear running lights back again. I later clean all the connections that were down there added some contact grease to the connections and then wrap them all in electrical tape to prevent moisture from getting in.

I hope this helps.
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #20
2bcs1jrt

EVERYTHING HELPS! Thanks One more thing to add to the list of possibilities.

Thank You

Cheri