TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #1
wowchad

Default Packing in down position & Collapsing in rain

Today while looking for a lightweight to replace our Outback LOFT due to our smaller TV I stumbled across TrailManor campers.

I've never heard of them before and after some reading I also looked at Hi-Lo brand campers.

Having come from Jayco pop-up we love our big Outback LOFT, but it is like towing a house!
The 7.3L Excursion is up for sale and I'm in a smaller SUV with 6000# tow capacity so I am looking at pop-ups again, but also hybrids like Jayco JAY FEATHER...then I see this contraption and like our LOFT, it's very unique and intriguing.

My concerns is how hard it is to pack when down; our standard pop-up was terrible! (If I got another pop-up it'd be a high-sided one)

So how accessible are the TM cabinets and cupboards when it's in the folded
down position?

Also would you tell me about teardown in the rain?
Which of course in another downside of a pop-up...and a hybrid now that I think about it. It's like a tent, if you pack when it's wet you need to put it back up to dry once you get home which is a total pain.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Chad Salter - Milwaukee'ish, WI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outback Loft.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	542.0 KB
ID:	15920  
wowchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #2
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Cannot be packed in down position.
Taking down in the rain is fine, does not get wet inside and no need to dry it.
Most love the design.

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #3
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowchad View Post

So how accessible are the TM cabinets and cupboards when it's in the folded
down position?

Also would you tell me about teardown in the rain?

There is basically zero access in the fully closed position. You can however, open just the front shell, and you can then crawl in over the bed platform to have some limited access - but it is better to plan ahead and not have to access anything in the trailer until you are ready to open it. This is for the units with a bed on each end. I can't speak for the units that have a slide in the front.

Tearing down in the rain actually isn't bad at all. If you are having high winds, and the rain is blowing from the back of the trailer, you may get some rain in the trailer between the time you lower the rear shell, and the time you lower the front shell. There may be some dribbles into the trailer once closed down while traveling - not from rain, but from water that was on the rear shell roof when you closed the trailer. It has to go somewhere, and although for the most part gravity takes it over the side of the rear shell, there may be a little that gets inside, but usually only dribbles. Just because you closed up in the rain, there usually isn't any pressing need to get it opened right away to dry out, unlike a canvas pop-up.

The Trailermanor tows unbelievably well - enough weight that it doesn't bounce around (like the pop-up I had years ago), and the airflow of just about any vehicle you would tow it with, just goes right over the trailer.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #4
wowchad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoMiPa View Post
There is basically zero access in the fully closed position...
UffDa that's not good.
Can you get to the fridge or slide a cooler in the door?

...So I guess how is it vs. a pop-up?
On our pop-up I could at least slide stuff in the door and 'down the isle' if you will.
Can I toss ANYTHING in there with it completely down, like bins or duffle-bags?

We usually have the kids pack while I'm at work so we can hook up and go once I get home so it's important to know how that looks before I get too excited.
On a high sided pop-up I can just about crawl in on my hands and knees, not like snaking in on my belly like our Jayco 1207. That was ROUGH, but do-able - especially for the kiddos.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:06 PM   #5
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
No can do. I've attached a photo of my TM, a 3023, in the closed position. Notice that the upper front shell, which contains the upper half of the door, does not in any way match up to the lower half of the door, which is on the lower rear half of the trailer. That being said, you can literally close it down from the fully open state, and be ready to roll in 15 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TMclosed.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	7.28 MB
ID:	15921  
Old 08-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #6
wowchad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoMiPa View Post
No can do. I've attached a photo of my TM, a 3023, in the closed position. Notice that the upper front shell, which contains the upper half of the door, does not in any way match up to the lower half of the door, which is on the lower rear half of the trailer. That being said, you can literally close it down from the fully open state, and be ready to roll in 15 minutes.
^^^ That was very helpful, thank you ^^^

I completely get it now and if pulling the tops up & down / open & closed is as easy as all you owners say (I've been reading a lot) then it really isn't a big deal I guess.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:43 PM   #7
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
^^^ That was very helpful, thank you ^^^

I completely get it now and if pulling the tops up & down / open & closed is as easy as all you owners say (I've been reading a lot) then it really isn't a big deal I guess.
Most of us TM owners don't think it's a big deal at all. I bought my TM new, in Aug of 2004, and now I just can't even imagine having full access to a trailer while on the road. I'm afraid it would make me more forgetful than I already am, in the sense that I know I could just pop in the door at any time. I suppose that's an advantage, but I think most TM owners would agree that that advantage doesn't even come close to outweighing the advantage of a fairly large trailer, in a small, very easily towed package.

Admittedly, for myself, the idea of a cross country trip, opening and closing every night for several nights in a row, doesn't appeal to me, but then I think of how much less gas I'd use on that cross country trip, towing a TM vice a full height trailer, and I'm back to loving the TM and realizing the opening & closing really isn't that big of a deal. I never rush. I take my time. While camping, I can get up, have breakfast, clean up, walk the dogs, then start breaking down camp, and I am still on the road about 2 hours after getting out of bed. That's on my own. Those who have help, either via a spouse and/or kids, can do it even quicker. (Well, unless they are more of a hinderance than help.....)

Again, speaking only for the units with two beds, not a slide, I can fully open while still connected to the TV - so cross country trips, with big box store parking lot overnights, is completely doable. Not that I've done it yet, but it is. Actually, that's not true, years ago, probably 2006, 2007, I opened up in a large truck rest area, between big rigs. It wasn't the most restful sleep I've ever had, but it was nice to be able to open up without unhooking. I know you can do that with a normal TT, but since so many people get slideouts, I have to wonder how difficult it is to move around in there without opening those....

All that being said, in my TV I always have everything I need for the dogs (leashes, treats, food, water, bowls, brushes, etc) "just in case". I also have a small bag for me with a few small toiletries and a change of clothes, phone charger, etc., again, "just in case". And finally, a small (like 6-pack size) cooler with a couple of drinks and a sandwich or two.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:39 PM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Slide is same, I have popped the front module (about a minute) while still hitched to the TV and then have access to everything in front of the wardrobe in the aisle. This includes the fridge if you have left accessible but I keep perishables/drinks in a 44 qt Peltier cooler in the TV.

Enclosed is a shot of the inside from the fridge back, everything in front is accessible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	insidereardowsmn.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	15922  
Old 08-07-2017, 03:40 PM   #9
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
UffDa that's not good.
It's not all that bad to open to get to the fridge. You'd have to unlatch and open the shells. This much can be in in just a few minutes. If you need the washroom, you'd need to set up the washroom as well.

The BIG advantage and selling point for the TM for me was a full washroom (to sell the idea of camping to my wife who's never camped before), and hard sides. The other advantage is the amount of room you get out of a 22' trailer. Once opened, I imaging pulling a 27' trailer and cringe. I know I'd get used to it, but I don't have to.

If you wanted access to cold drinks or a quick sandwich on the road, I'd pack a cooler in the SUV, or pull over to a rest stop and set the trailer up.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:51 PM   #10
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Quote:
UffDa that's not good.

...So I guess how is it vs. a pop-up?
On our pop-up I could at least slide stuff in the door and 'down the isle' if you will.

We usually have the kids pack while I'm at work so we can hook up and go once I get home so it's important to know how that looks before I get too excited.
On a high sided pop-up I can just about crawl in on my hands and knees, not like snaking in on my belly like our Jayco 1207. That was ROUGH, but do-able - especially for the kiddos.
We like to travel, we seem to like to stay at a campsite for about 3 days and move on. We find it very easy to setup and take it down.

There is a little difference. When we had the pup we it would take us about 15 minutes pushing in the canvas, and closing her up when everything inside was ready. With the TM if you have the inside done, it about 3 minutes to put her down.

For weekend trips. I will most of the time have the camper hitch up the TV, put down the stuff inside, keep the fridge running on AC. But leave the camper up. When the DW gets home from work, she changes, adds the last few things to the camper she thought about all day. When she ready to go, it's less than 5 minutes to switch over fridge from AC to DC and have the camper down and headed out the drive.

You do need to bring your leveling block in the TV so you can level side-to-side when you arrive at the CS. We used the mod that trailmanor man discovered from another TM owner to fill water at the CG.

Setting up is almost as simple. Level side-to-side with the blocks, disconnect from the TV, level fwd/aft. At this point its less than 15 minutes and were sitting down for a pop/soda. That includes the DW setting out all the things she want on the counters, etc... We are not rushing, we're retired and in no hurry.

I know with our pup it took a lot longer to setup and takedown. Im going to say about 1/2 hour until we were hitched up or set up, and that was without setting out everything
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote