TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2002, 01:24 PM   #1

Default Rain on roof

From time to time we read comments about how noisey the TM aluminum roof is in a rainstorm. Gentle rains are soothing but heavy rains are a pain. I think I read where someone sold their unit after several vacation days in heavy rain.
Soooo, the question is has anyone figured out a way to make the metal roof less noisey in the rain? Are the rubber roofs in motorhomes less noisey? If so, could we carry around a roll of rubber sheeting to put on the roof if we expect too much rain?
Surely there are better ideas out there...
Dick_B
Old 03-27-2002, 02:18 AM   #2
hal

Default Re: Rain on roof

We look forward to rain on the roof.  There is nothing like it when you are in bed and realize how secure your trailer is.  It is a comforting sound.  Of course, we do get concerned when we are in tornado country and the wind blows heartily.  Even under the strongest wind (tornados were nearby) our trailer didn't even rock or flinch.  The TrailManor is such an improvement over the tent trailer that we had.  Even in the slightest weather, it was sometimes difficult to get comfortable and at ease.  We developed a philosophical viewpoint about our tent trailer that was summed up in the phrase "warm nose, cold toes..... warm toes, cold nose".  We could never be comfortable all over.  Looking back we realize that  we were having the time of our life and wouldn't trade a moment of it.  Now with our electric blanket tucked in at the foot and our noses peaking out, and with the firm roof overhead, we relish the thought of a storm.

Hal

Hal
Old 03-27-2002, 04:34 AM   #3
2swans

i guess i'm with hal on this. we were aware of the posts re: heavy rain on the TM roof. and we experienced that torrential downpour here in tornado country in a canyon last week. i expected to be disappointed with the loudness, but i found it pleasant and remarkably bearable. then the rain lessened in strength, and that was downright soothing. so i guess it's a matter of likes/dislikes.  say--i never tho't of electric blankets in a TM. do you run the cord thru to the bath socket?  we use two marmot down sleeping bags zipped together over a flannel sheet--and have been toasty,too. good chatting with ya'll.  2swans.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:16 PM   #4

We also love the pitter patter sound of the rain drops.  And when it rains hard I think about my previous tent camping and, while there was a time and place for that experience, how nice it is to be in the TM.  

I've considered if the noise was objectionable one could rig a large tarp just above the TM roof.  But not for us.
Old 04-01-2002, 02:42 PM   #5

I've been in the TM in the rain, and in boat cabins in the rain.  Both are "noisy" if that's what you want to call it.   Rain thunks on a fiberglass boat roof, and it twinks on a TM roof, as best I can describe it.

Anybody care to make a recording the next time they're in their TM in the rain and attach the sound file?  Hee-hee!  8)
Old 04-03-2002, 10:00 AM   #6

Love than rain on the roof! I live in the desert and always enjoy the rain. The only problem is that it puts me to sleep after dinner.  
Old 05-26-2002, 03:41 PM   #7
Happytrails

Been raining here so long, I just recently was able to get to my TM repairs, fixed the roof/wall thing.....and DURN IT! IT WON'T RAIN!!!! lol.......Actually, we did sleep in it one night last weekend, and it did rain.....not a drop inside! And yes, it was quite soothing, tho it was supposedly a hard rain.......(hey, me get outta bed to look at the rain at 3am? LOL....Not!) Just put me right back to sleep! I took a garden hose to the roof to see if it'd leak.......pointing it directly at the roof vent, I got a whole 5 drops or so, but that was it! Anyway......

Wishin for some rain......
Happytrails