TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-01-2002, 09:50 AM   #1

Default One non-ducted furnace enough?

I've seen many comments that TM's are toasty warm even in cold weather.

My wife was concerned that the used unit we are looking at had one only, non ducted "pop up"type furnace.

We do a lot of early spring and late fall camping in ND and nights can get cold.

Does one have to run the furnace most all night in cold weather to keep warm or does the TM's insulation mean it stays pretty warm?

I do keep several spots open to the outside a crack all night for ventilation/condensation purposes.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:36 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re: One non-ducted furnace enough?

The furnace turns out an enormous amount of heat.  Believe me, staying toasty is no problem.  Beyond that, my experience in New England and high-desert Arizona, in single-digit and low-double-digit temps says:

Circulating the warm air to the rear bed is iffy if you close the privacy curtain.  Since there are just the two of us (plus dog and cat), we leave the curtain open, and we are warm as toast.  Of course, if you sleep in a front bed, you are golden.

The furnace's circulating fan is not silent, but it is not wildly noisy, either.  Do you live on a street?  Do cars pass in the night? Do you get used to the sound, so it doesn't bother you?  Same with the fan.

If you are dry camping (no hookups), then the circulating fan takes a certain amount of charge out of the battery.  One night of cold weather is fine, two nights is getting marginal.  If you plan to be out beyond that, I suggest you look up the thread on the Heater Buddy.

Hope this helps

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 12:29 PM   #3

I love the sound of the fan at night...right to sleep.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:47 AM   #4

We have been camping in the cold (hi 20's - low 30's) and we are comfortable, but there are cold spots along the walls and such.  I try to keep the thermostat at about 72-73 because I don't want to refill my tanks too often.  We do use an electric ceramic heater pointed at the back bed and that keeps us pretty comfortable at night.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:54 AM   #5
arknoah

The furnace does put out a great deal of heat, especially in the front of the unit.  Since my kids generally are colder than I am, it's just fine with me that the back of the unit is cooler, since that's where I sleep.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:56 AM   #6
arknoah

Actually, I have more concerns about thd older design for placement of the air conditioner, since its way in the back and it ca be a chore to move the cool air forward.  The new design with the air conditioner about in the middle of the unit is far superior.