TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
TravlinOn

Default Traveling in Mountains?

We have a TM 3326 and are thinking of doing some mountain camping. I know that the lighter weight TM's cause little problem in towing up long, steep grades but I am curious about the experiences of those who have TM's that are longer and heavier.

Any problems on long grades, steep hills, hairpin curves? What do you use as a TV? Would you do it again? Where was it the worst?
Old 05-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Tampajohn

Don't know if this helps. I have an 02 Isuzu with a tow capacity of 4500 lbs. Last year we came out of Denver heading to California and had an awful time towing an Aliner. I think it weighed around 2500 lbs loaded and those grades were terrible slowing me down to 30 mph. Good thing there were semi trucks also at that speed. I am very concious of the grades after that experience and certainly will do anything to avoid them. Eventhough I was not even close to the tow capacity, I sure did see the effects. I also ran into the same situation going to Pikes Peak. John
Old 05-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
Bluegrass

I don't think you'd have a problem with your F150 with V8 and tow package. We pulled our 3124kb over the Sierras and the Colorado Rockies many times without incident with an 06 Tundra with small V8 and tow package.

Hairpin curves depend on the "hairpin." I avoid, for example, the road from Flagstaff to Sedona for that reason. It's a long downhill with sharp hairpins. Hard on brakes as well. There is also a segment of California Highway 49 between Auburn and Placerville I stay off of for the same reason. My rule of thumb is to watch the signs. At least in Utah and California, roads not suited for trailers tend to be marked with large yellow warning signs.

The eastbound grade from Salt Lake City to Park City and then on to Evanston, Wyoming is one very, very long grade but again, with my tow package, I never got overheated and was able to at least stay at 45 mph. That said, I wouldn't want to pull that grade with a mini-van.

With your rig, I think you're suitably equipped to handle your 3326 in mountain driving without problem.

Keith
Old 05-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Shadowcats

Default Lots of Colorado Traveling

We travel the Colorado Rockies quite a lot...just got back from a trip to NV - I-70 to Denver. We have a 3023 and tow with a Nissan Armada. One of the keys is to keep up your speed going up and even it out going down (use a low gear and little brake) Keeping the speed up helps keep the engine cool and also promotes steady climb. The major passes are usually not a problem, but you have to watch for large trucks. We had some real issues with the snow and slush coming back a few days ago...lots of trucks throwing stuff, and often taking a part of our lane. The altitude is sometimes a problem for folks too, especially the high passes (some vehicles don't breath too well). The smaller passes do indeed have some tight turns, but the TM with just one axle really handles nicely. A few years back with our old 3023 and a Jeep Liberty, we did have quite a pull up Wolf Creek Pass - made it doing 30 mph! Just be careful - enjoy the ride.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

I will second Shadowcats post. We had a 2003 Envoy rated to tow 6300lbs. We pulled a Coleman Bayside, which is 1000lbs lighter than our new Trailmanor. It would need to be in a lower gear, high rpms to go up long steep inclines. Revved pretty high but could keep 45 or 50mph. Very important to let lower gears slow you down going downhill. You can burn up brakes pretty darned fast. We just bought a new Ford F-150 EcoBoost primarily for that reason. Being turbocharged, it should do better at high altitudes (with a milage penalty) than our old Envoy. I would think you will do fine with your truck, but remember, gearing down is your friend! There are not too many hairpin curves that should be a problem, just carefully stay in your lane. I have been driving the high country in Colorado for nearly 40 years, but well remember it scared the "bejabbers" out of me at first, now DW and I both feel quite comfortable up there. Off road--4WD trails, now there is another matter..still can get quite tense!
Mark
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #6
TravlinOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoPolo View Post
I will second Shadowcats post. We had a 2003 Envoy rated to tow 6300lbs. We pulled a Coleman Bayside, which is 1000lbs lighter than our new Trailmanor. It would need to be in a lower gear, high rpms to go up long steep inclines. Revved pretty high but could keep 45 or 50mph. Very important to let lower gears slow you down going downhill. You can burn up brakes pretty darned fast. We just bought a new Ford F-150 EcoBoost primarily for that reason. Being turbocharged, it should do better at high altitudes (with a milage penalty) than our old Envoy. I would think you will do fine with your truck, but remember, gearing down is your friend! There are not too many hairpin curves that should be a problem, just carefully stay in your lane. I have been driving the high country in Colorado for nearly 40 years, but well remember it scared the "bejabbers" out of me at first, now DW and I both feel quite comfortable up there. Off road--4WD trails, now there is another matter..still can get quite tense!
Mark
Wow! Taking your TM off road in mountains with 4WD, please take a video and share! Nice idea for selling to a new reality show series too.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

I did mean to imply I pulled a trailer on those roads! Just a general tense mountain driving example. But, still want to emphasize, take your transmission out of drive and gear down when needed--going up or down hill. Makes all the difference when pulling a trailer.
Mark
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
rumbleweed

Check the Scan Gauge web site and determine if the Scan Gauge will read trans temp on your TV. If so I would definitely order one. It provides valuable info as to what is going on with your TV before it's too late.

http://www.scangauge.com
Old 05-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Amen on the temperature gauge. Easy to install, peace of mind, and very cheap insurance.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
TravlinOn

Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely use my gears for slowing down and will watch my temperature gauges.

I checked the link from above and it seems that only diesels, cars, and light pick-up are covered. In any case, my towing package has extra cooling for the transmission - but maybe not enough?

I am a lot more confident of forthcoming success after reading the comments here. Thanks all!