TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Boondocking and Dry Camping
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #11
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottieMom View Post
Tentcamper, how do you disconnect the propane detector? I'd just like to know in case I ever need to do so.
On my TM I have the wire and two wires nuts in the bathroom cabinet behind the propane detector. I just un-screw the plus wire and put the cap back on the supply wire. Keep think I need to put a switch there, but its so simple and we dont dry camp that much, etc....
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:31 AM   #12
KrauseFamily

Default Thanks for all the comments so far

I appreciate everyone's willingness to share ideas. I realize my initial post was light on details, so I will fill some of those in here. Later I will ask some follow up questions.

The camping trip will be in Maine (I live in Michigan), we expect to spend the night outbound around Montreal. We will have electrical on the outbound night. I expect to be able to live without AC in Maine.

I have a 24 series deep cycle marine battery that is about four years old. I was thinking about getting a second of the same. It seems that some think I should replace the first battery. On my 2720 the battery is up front and the tray seems plenty big for a second 24 series, but what is possible? Can it fit two 27s or more? I have read suggestions in other places that if I start with all new batteries that I should do 2 six volts in series instead. Any thoughts?

Again, thanks for all the input.

Kevin Krause
2008 2720
2005 Ford Expedition
Old 07-14-2016, 03:48 PM   #13
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

We camped for 9 nights with one 105 aH battery and one 100w solar panel. I have since gone to two batteries (Series 27), and 200w of solar.

With one panel/one battery, we didn't run low. We camped in mostly-shade, but out west, where trees are not as dense. But we did it 3 different weeks, in different campgrounds, and had no problems. When we did it during a rainy week, we never got back to full-charge. We also didn't run out of power.

But, I got the second battery and second panel so I don't have to worry about it. Only used the electrical items in the TM - no supplemental appliances. I envision we could go indefinitely with two 12v 105 aH batteries and two 100w attached panels. (Fridge on propane.) Don't own a generator.

Just my experience. As some say, your mileage may vary (YMMV).
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:16 PM   #14
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrauseFamily View Post
I appreciate everyone's willingness to share ideas. I realize my initial post was light on details, so I will fill some of those in here. Later I will ask some follow up questions.

The camping trip will be in Maine (I live in Michigan), we expect to spend the night outbound around Montreal. We will have electrical on the outbound night. I expect to be able to live without AC in Maine.

I have a 24 series deep cycle marine battery that is about four years old. I was thinking about getting a second of the same. It seems that some think I should replace the first battery. On my 2720 the battery is up front and the tray seems plenty big for a second 24 series, but what is possible? Can it fit two 27s or more? I have read suggestions in other places that if I start with all new batteries that I should do 2 six volts in series instead. Any thoughts?

Again, thanks for all the input.

Kevin Krause
2008 2720
2005 Ford Expedition
I don't think you will need AC in main. The nights cool down nicely. I camper in early September several times and needed heat at night.

A G-24 battery does not have much Reserve capacity, plus 4 year old. I would get a G-29 or 31 and just switch over the cables when you need the other battery. To me it makes no sense to spend good money for another G-24, when a G-29 or 31 is maybe $30 more. But you will need another battery box.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:48 PM   #15
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Sams has a nice AGM grp 31. Friend and I drove a 455 GMC motor home to northern Arkansas on one when the alternator failed (drove all day, charged in motel room all night, repeat).

This is probably the best single 12v battery you can buy. 105 minutes 20A rate. A pair of conventional GC2s costs about the same but you need to watch the electrolyte level 210 minutes @20a.

Trying a pair of GC2s with 200W of solar in Florida sun. NP even with a few cups of coffee (64A for three minutes through inverter). Did have a gen but mainly for the AC.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:47 AM   #16
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Default evidently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Tom, I'm sorry but a big generator won't charge the batteries any faster than a small one.

Why? Most generators have a separate output for a "battery charge" cable. Every generator I've seen will charge at a max rate of 8 amps through this connection. Too small to be useful.

The alternative is to plug the TM into the generator's AC output, which powers up the charger in the TM's converter. Then, if the converter puts 40 amps into the battery (and most won't, despite their claims), then the converter is putting out 40 amps X 14 volts = 560 watts. Even considering converter efficiency, a 1000 watt generator such as I suggested is way more than you need.

So unless you need the air conditioning - and KrauseFamily said they don't - I would still advise them to save the weight and save the money.

Bill
Bill...they don't do much camping in Texas...or Arizona (other than Flagstaff), or Florida during the summer...heck anywhere on the gulf coast...if the heat doesn't get you then the humidity will! So down here if you can't run the A/C, you probably don't sleep!...unlike in Maine....
Tom
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:07 PM   #17
flipflop

LED's are a good idea for the interior. I was testing the 1156 incandescents on solar power, they would barely glow much less light. The LED's lit right up https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...tributes/10832 same with the factory 12" and 18" flourescents.

I looked at gettiing LED's to replace the flourescents, but didn't seem like good bang for the buck.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #18
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflop View Post
I looked at gettiing LED's to replace the flourescents, but didn't seem like good bang for the buck.
The Dream Lighting Warm White for $20 on Amazon does a pretty good job and the price is right. Don't buy the cold-white one, it goes on when you turn on the battery cut-off switch. The warm white one stays off until you push its button.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:47 PM   #19
Sterman
Site Sponsor

I wonder if these would work well to replace the fluorescent ceiling fixtures:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZZVI7U...I2LC406XDEUHTL
Old 10-07-2016, 04:13 PM   #20
hoverlover

Don't know about those but these, a bit expensive, work quite well:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...tor/1490/3465/
hoverlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, solar