TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-16-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
daveinfl

Default Thetford Model 80 Newbie Question

This is our second time out. Arrived at site late because of traffic and rain. Setup went well. No problems. But here is my question. Do you recharge the Toilet after each time you dump? My toilet still shows to be slightly above the recharge mark. We actually have a full hookup where we are. Is there a difference when you use the Thetford connected to the sewer directly.

We traveled from Lake Mary, Fl. to Sunrise, FL yesterday. We are staying at the Markham Park owned by Broward County. It is very nice. In fact Broward County has 5 camping parks that look really nice. Only problem is it is a bit expensive. $40.00 a night.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
daveinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I'm not sure I understand your question, because when you dump the Thetford, it empties out completely. You have to refill it with water before you use it again.

If you have sewer connections, that will save you a trip to the dump station, but otherwise you use the Thetford the same way as if you didn't have these connections. Do not leave the dump valves open and the system connected to the sewer, it will not work.

To sum up, on arrival at a campsite with sewer hookups, fill the Thetford to the charge line and add chemicals. Use it just as if you didn't have hookups. When it fills up, then connect it to the sewer hookup and dump it. Refill, add chemicals, etc.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
davlin
TrailManor Master

If you're doing everything Bill mentioned (above), and the gauge is still showing "slightly above the recharge mark," it's probably because the float is stuck. It may unstick itself the next time you fill the toilet, but if not, you can remove the whole float assembly and clean it.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
dr carver
Site Sponsor

I noticed on my new Trailmanor that the gauge would also read above the recharge mark when empty. When I pulled the gauge out (I wanted to move it to the left side) I found there was a piece of soft plastic tubing over the end of the float frame. This kept the float from dropping to the bottom.

I don't know if the tubing was for shipping or what. I removed it and the gauge goes to below 'E' when I empty the toilet an goes to the recharge area when it is recharged.
TV - 2011 Ford Expedition w/towing package

dr carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
daveinfl

Ok everyone. I figured it out. I feel silly now. Turns out I really didn't empty the toilet the first time. Newbie mistake. I didn't see one of the valves. I don't know how I missed it. I only emptied the gray water. Now I know. First empty the toilet .... then empty the gray water. Duh! Thanks for everyones help.
daveinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

So you know that there is also a valve at the bottom front of the Thetford? The older models have two valves outside, one for gray, one for black. You need to pull the inside toilet valve first, then pull the outside black water valve. Then close the black water valve and pull the gray water valve.