TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-19-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
jumpstreet
Site Sponsor

Default fridge on propane

OK. I turn on gas, push in safty button, click ignitor and flame indicator shows flame light off. I let go of safty button and flame goes out. Do I have a bad safty button or should I look at something else?
Old 02-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
PopBeavers

It might be a know problem. See the Norcold service bulletin at http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...hlight=norcold
Old 02-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

We have the same model/year TM and I had the same issue. This kit is a silly wire that sits behind the selector switch. Takes 10 minutes to pull the fridge, change the wire, push the fridge back in. If i'm not mistaken, it's a blue wire, with a cost of cents or maybe a dollar.

N300 Interrupter-Selector Switch Wire Kit
Norcold Service Kit
Kit Part Number 628119
Publication Part Number 629120 rev A (3/05)

Get the kit from Norcold. Maybe you can get it for free. It's definetly a manufacturers defect. Also, remember that once the flame catches you need to hold down the gas safetly valve button for about 30-45 seconds to allow the thermocouple to get hot. If you're holding down for a minutes and it dies, you need the kit.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
jumpstreet
Site Sponsor

Thanks guys. I've had this for about three years with no problem, now I have one. I think you have me pointed the right direction.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
commodor47
Site Sponsor

You might want to try one more fix. I have the same year/model and had the same problem. Pull the radio (or carefully remove the radio cover plate) and look around for the two wires connected to the back of the safety switch. Wiggling the connectors (gently) will normally allow the refrigerator to work on propane. If that solves the problem, carefully disconnect the two wires and place a light coating of dielectric grease on each blade. That solved my propane issue. The refrigerator continues to operate normally on propane.

You might find this thread helpful:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...?t=4206&page=4

I did check the numbers on my refrigerator and it was not subject to the recall. I suspect oxidation is the root cause of the safety switch malfunction and the dielectric grease acts as a good barrier to oxidation.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:01 PM   #6
jumpstreet
Site Sponsor

Again, thanks. TM is now in storage, but I will check these things out when I bring it back to the house.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
PopBeavers

If your problem turns out to be resolved by the Norcold Service Kit, be aware that this is not a recall. You may not be able to get it fixed for free.

Mine was free, because the TM was only 6 months old when it failed.

I had it in the shop for several weeks because Norcold would not ship the kit to the dealer until after they received the bad one from the dealer. Dealers do not stock these kits.

At least not in the fall of 2005.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:25 AM   #8
Shandysplace

Default Our Situation

Don't know if this will shed light on this issue, but here's what happened to us.

We have an '08 3326 and other than testing the propane operation on delivery which was fine, we always operated the fridge with 115V and the thermostat at the 6pm position. This provided frozen items in the freezer and about 35/38 degrees on the bottom shelf.

After reading all these posts, we decided to try it on propane. Try as we might it would not light. Checking the directions, it says to turn the thermostat to position 5 and then light. That worked. We held the button in until the needle was pegged at the end of the green which took at least a minute. On release it remained on. Then reset the thermostat to the 6pm position. Tried to light it again without the thermostat on 5. It would not light.

No doubt this N300 has the kit everyone is referring to. Didn't see the thermostat instruction in any of the posts, so thought it might be of some interest.