TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
flag614

Default Need help - Wiring colors for Tail lights

2007 3124 KB,

When replacing the tail light assembly on the right side (not the side with the license plate), there are only 3 wires exiting the trailer...gray, green, and yellow. I need to know which colors match up correctly with the light assembly. I am not getting any right tail light power at all no matter what combination. The other side works properly. Even tried removing the small wire connecters and wired each 2 wires together directly, still nothing.

Any help appreciated!

Carl
Old 08-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Default Bargman Diagram

http://tmphotos.org/modules/xoopsgal...?g2_itemId=187

Does this help?

If not I can go out & look at the tail lights.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
flag614

Thanks for the link! Interesting and the diagram does shed more insight. I still dont know what colors match with what though.

There is no power at all from that side light, makes me wonder if it could be my tow vehicles connection or something I'm doing wrong with the color wires. All other lights do work though.

Thanks in advance for any additional help.

Carl
Old 08-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Carl -

You started randomly connecting pairs of wires together? That is never a good thing to do to investigate an electrical problem. It is possible that a hot lead was connected to a grounded lead, which blew a fuse in the tow vehicle. This is not a big problem, but it complicates the repair operation since you have to find out if you have a new problem (and fix it) before you can begin to address the original problem. So let's avoid doing that again.

Do you have a copy of the Owner's Manual for the TM? It is in the blue binder that comes with each TM from the factory, if you have that. Or, there are copies in the TM Technical Reference Library on this forum - a.k.a. TrailManor Information You Won't Find Anywhere Else. There is a wiring diagram, with colors, in the manual.

The diagram shows that the three wires are BackUp Light (yellow), Right Turn Signal & Brake (brown), and Running Lights (green). The ground wire is not called out separately, which means it is directly connected to the trailer skin. This may mean that there is no separate ground wire, and if not, the fuse-blowing scenario is much less likely to have happened. On the other hand, none of the lights will work without a ground, so you will need to either provide a temporary ground wire, or make a connection, cross your fingers, and remount the light to see if it works.

The best approach, rather than making random connections, is to get a test light or a multimeter, to see if turn/brake light power, backup light power, and running light power are making it to the three wires on the back of the TM. Let us know what you find, and we'll go from there.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote