TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
Beach Boy

Default Camping World Prices -- Too High

I enjoy receiving Camping World catalogs and emails. Whenever I find something that I like; I google it. I can always a price cheaper than CW.

I recently bought a Prodigy P3 from AdventureRV.com for $112.99. Camping World has the P3 for $169.99 with the President's Club member receiving a 10% discount after paying $14.99 a year for the discount. What is wrong with this picture? Does anyone else do this?

Also the CW search engine is terrible.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Yes, it pays to shop around! and you are right not all CW prices are the best bargain.

I found using Google to search for an item on Camping World is actually better than the Camping World Search.

Tim
Old 01-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Boy View Post
I enjoy receiving Camping World catalogs and emails. Whenever I find something that I like; I google it. I can always a price cheaper than CW.

I recently bought a Prodigy P3 from AdventureRV.com for $112.99. Camping World has the P3 for $169.99 with the President's Club member receiving a 10% discount after paying $14.99 a year for the discount. What is wrong with this picture? Does anyone else do this?

Also the CW search engine is terrible.
The answer is really quite simple. Brick & mortar stores cost a LOT more to run than .com stores. CW.com is just an attempt to expand on their main business (people walking into the store and getting personal attention). CW.com is not their main business.

If you don't need the personal experience of walking in, touching the item, asking questions, paying at the cashier and having the ability to walk back in and return the item or get the item installed or serviced........shop online. It's just that simple. Some people hate shopping online......don't ask me why.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

They can be higher than some other places, but on the other hand, I can go into their retail outlet about 30 miles away, actually look at the products and hold them in my hands, use my measuring tape to judge whether or not that it will work out for me, and bring it home that day and install it when I need to find something quickly. If I get it home and it doesn't work, I can drive back and return it. Plus, you can camp out in some of their parking lots when you need a place to stay for the night. It's nice to have them so close by.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:50 AM   #5
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

I just love it when you want some $4 or $5 item and the shipping is twice that. I usually check Amazon because of the free shipping on $25 or more.

Now, to see if I can say that . . .

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #6
ng2951

Yeah, CW does not always have the best prices or products. They do zoom in on things RVers like so that makes them convenient.

For many of the consumables they are nice to have in the GPS as you will spend less time hunting...
Old 01-05-2011, 07:45 AM   #7
bfezel

IMHO this forum is not intended as a vehicle to degrade suppliers unless there is some valid reason...bad quality; poor services, etc. Finding something at a better price is something we all can do with a computer. I've done this often myself and at other times I've gone to our local CW and bought other things. It's a matter of personal preference and finding something a couple of dollars cheaper doesn't mean that something is wrong with CW.

Now...my opinion and $3 will get you a cup of coffee at one of our favorite coffee shops.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfezel View Post
IMHO this forum is not intended as a vehicle to degrade suppliers unless there is some valid reason... .
Old 01-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
Beach Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfezel View Post
IMHO this forum is not intended as a vehicle to degrade suppliers unless there is some valid reason...bad quality; poor services, etc. Finding something at a better price is something we all can do with a computer. I've done this often myself and at other times I've gone to our local CW and bought other things. It's a matter of personal preference and finding something a couple of dollars cheaper doesn't mean that something is wrong with CW.

Now...my opinion and $3 will get you a cup of coffee at one of our favorite coffee shops.
Is this not the off topic section? I intended the topic to be informative to those that are truly new to camping. IMHO, hot tea is superior to coffee.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

?? degrading ??

Actually i have found some items at CW that were cheaper there -- but only if i picked them up at the store -- shipping tends to eat you alive from any mail-order these days.

For me i have to schedule my visits to CW when i am traveling -- none of them are really close by.

So, it's all about choices -- sure glad the internet make comparison shopping easy now.

Tim