TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
Tampajohn

Default Stumped. Air Conditioner Starting Capacitor Smoking Why?

Have an 04 2720 with Coleman Mach and went to put in hard start capacitor and noticed that the starting capacitor was burnt. I replaced it with new starting capacitor and with 30 seconds the new one started smoking. I put in 3rd 220v-250v capacitor and it started getting hot also. I removed starting capacitor and air conditioner runs fine with no start capacitor and only the run capacitor and hard start capacitor SPP6. What is going on. Should I just leave starting capacitor out and run system with run capacitor and hard start capacitor. Really blows cold air and run and hard start capacitor are not hot at all and unit seems to be working fine.

I really don't know how long this has been going on since I just bought the trailer used a couple weeks ago. Thought I put in a hard start capacitor to see if I could run on my little Champion 2000w Generator. Have not tried generator with hard start capacitor yet. Wanted to see if anyone had any ideas first.

Thanks in advance. John Tampa
Old 10-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
Tampajohn

I think I figured it out. The PTCR on the went bad causing the Starting Capacitor to constantly get electric. When I removed the Starting Cap, the new SPP6 is capable of replacing this and that it why it is running and very efficiently.

Post I found on other site.

"To answer your question the SPP6 will work but you will have to change some wiring to do so. I have been in the electrical and refrigeration/air conditioning business for 35 years so for me it would not be difficult. For those that may not understand how all this works together may not turn out so well. If you have access to the original parts or have a dealer that is to do the repairs; I would recommend this approach."

"To replace the PTCR with the SPP6 it is pretty straight forward. To replace the older starting relay and start capacitor re-wiring will be necessary, eliminating the start relay from the circuitry as the SPP6 has its own capability to isolate the starting capacitor section from the compressor."

Anyway If anyone has any input in this. I would appreciate it. I think the SPP6 is taking up the slack since I removed the Starting Capacitor all together. Now for the next test.

See if the Champion 2000W will run the Coleman.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
Tampajohn

Spent half day messing with it all. I can confirm that the Champion 2000W will not run the A/C even with hard start kit SPP6. Back to the drawing board. John

I find everytime I get a new camper, I have to go from top to bottom to see what I got. Always make a bunch of major mods.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
Joseph

Wink Yes...

Quote:
I find everytime I get a new camper, I have to go from top to bottom to see what I got. Always make a bunch of major mods.

Yes, with many things, not just campers! Good luck!
Old 11-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default ac hard starting

We are currently seeing two symptoms with our AC, compressor attempting to start, maybe a bad starting cap. Also at high air temps after running for a couple of hours the compressor will trip the circuit breaker when the unit cycles. What is this hard starting kit spp6 and where did you get it?

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default ac hard starting

And here is part of the answer to my question.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AC Hardstarts Booklet.pdf (323.7 KB, 47 views)

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
Tampajohn

Default Ebay

Got the hard start cap on ebay. It works great and all is well.