TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
coralcrazed
BannedUsers

Default where can you park and camp in NY on a road trip?

I was just wondering... does anyone know if you are allowed to pull off the side of the road and camp for the night? perhaps at a highway rest stop??? perhaps in a kmart parking lot??? I have seen RV's parked in variouse parking lots but was wondering if it was ok to do this or not??? much appreciated.
coralcrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Beak12

It sounds like you are moving through NY. However if your thinking about doing NY City proper you can't beat Liberty Harbor. It's in NJ -Water & Elec no sewer however there is a dump station on site. Vary clean RR. This is a City RV Park so no "Camping" stuff. But you can see the Statue of Liberty from the site and within 3 blocks take the underground to the City. ALso there is a boat that picks up commuters and takes them to withina few blocks of where the Twin Towers was. We had a great time there.

http://www.libertyharborrv.com/
Old 05-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
coralcrazed
BannedUsers

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wahlsten View Post
It sounds like you are moving through NY. However if your thinking about doing NY City proper you can't beat Liberty Harbor. It's in NJ -Water & Elec no sewer however there is a dump station on site. Vary clean RR. This is a City RV Park so no "Camping" stuff. But you can see the Statue of Liberty from the site and within 3 blocks take the underground to the City. ALso there is a boat that picks up commuters and takes them to withina few blocks of where the Twin Towers was. We had a great time there.

http://www.libertyharborrv.com/
thanks for that info... my question was more about weather or not you can just pull off te side of the road into a k-mart or other supercenter parking lot and camp out for the night. is this allowed?

say you are traveling across country and can't get reservations for whatever reason. can you pull into a highway rest area and camp for the night. not talking about getting a camp fire going or anything of that sort but rather a place to sleep. is this against the law?

I remember reading somewhere that some retailers allow it in thier lots. I hope I made my question more clear. sorry if I have confused the situation in any way.
coralcrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:33 PM   #4
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

You can join this yahoo group and download their walmart list that shows which ones allow overnight parking as not all of them do.

Link was posted here:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...7&postcount=10

Tim
Old 05-11-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcrazed View Post
I was just wondering... does anyone know if you are allowed to pull off the side of the road and camp for the night? perhaps at a highway rest stop??? perhaps in a kmart parking lot??? I have seen RV's parked in variouse parking lots but was wondering if it was ok to do this or not??? much appreciated.
Walmart, yes (see previous post).

Roadside, no. Can't recall any roadside rest stops that allow over-night camping.

On the other hand, you do see trucks pulled over, but they usually have their engines running ...