TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

Default Best way to access Ocracoke, OBX NC

We are planning to spend a week in Ocracoke at the end of April and could use some advice on getting there. We are in South Florida.

Right now I'm planning to go North on I-95 and then go East to the Swan Quarter Ferry which goes out to Ocracoke. I'd like to cross over early in the day (9:30 AM ferry).

Because I'm a lot slow about getting going in the morning, and don't know where I'm going, I would like to spend the night as close as possible to the ferry so all I have to do is wake up.

Can anyone suggest a place to spend the night? Hotel, campground, parking lot, empty lot, not so empty lot, etc.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:32 AM   #2
jumpstreet
Site Sponsor

Default ocracoke

I am from Fl too. Also been to Ocracoke. I went the Cedar Island route. At the ferry entrance there was a hotel/restraunt. I guess its still there. One important thing you need to know is that you need a ferry reservation. Go to ncdot.org/transit/ferry for all ferry info. Lots to do on obx. I like it there. Check out insiders.com/outerbanks. Enjoy your trip.
jumpstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #3
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

Thanks for your comment. From what I've been finding out Cedar Island is a better option. There is a Motel/Campground called the Driftwood right at the ferry landing (so I've been told) which makes the Cedar Island route a better choice when coming in from the South.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
Old 04-21-2007, 05:31 AM   #4
live2shopnc

Default ocracoke

I agree the Ceder Island way would be better. Once you get there, if you decide to come to the "Big Island" (Hatteras) let me know. I woud like to meet you. I will send you my phone # if you would like.
Ed
Old 05-07-2007, 01:07 PM   #5
live2shopnc

Default Obx

I hope your trip went well and you got away before yesterday's storm. If you didn't I guess you will be here until the water goes down and the road re-opens. Our Island (Hatteras) has water across its road in several places and I know OC has the same problem.
Just heard the are going to try and let some 18 wheelers get off and then re-close the road totaly until tomorrow
Ed
Old 05-07-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

Ed,

We got back last night. While we were there, our cell phones did not work, except all the way out on the beach by the ferry to Hatteras, and I couldn't find any free wifi anywhere. Considering I not retired it was great not hearing from anyone (work related). We made strategically timed drives (low tide) out to the beach so the kids would know that we still had a pulse.

For the most part it was great weather, except one day was so windy it took some creativity to keep the hot water flame going.

We did make it to Hatteras on Thursday and headed home by way of Charleston on Friday.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4