TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
joe&Nance

Default It's official, new 2720SL

Well everyone, thanks for all the help previously. Got home from getting TM in East Texas and bringinging it back to San Jose, CA this morning. Hit blizzard, hail, sleet, rain and fog all in the same trip! Wow what a trip. Turned out that previous owner got Temp license 4 TM in my name b4 I got there and were willing 2 leave insurance on till we got home (I already had all the paperwork with mine and we covered it b4 I left anyway). They were so wonderful, they had it ready for us 2 sleep in since we were getting in early morning, then fed us, let us shower, then they helped us put on WDH b4 sending us off late afternoon on Tue. We found KOA's on the way and used it instead of hotels, we were able to set it up in under 15 minutes by the 3rd nite! It is in wonderful condition, not a single leak the whole trip, and with how much rain we hit on the way home we know there aren't any leaks. Well, will write more later. I need 2 get stuff ready 4 DH. Haven't seen him 4 almost a week and missed his birthday, but what a present this was!

Old 10-31-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
P and B

Wow! What an adventure. Glad you had a pleasant experience despite the weather. That's a long trip for the first time out.

Remember, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger! Welcome to the club.

Phil

Old 10-31-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
joe&Nance

Quote:
Originally Posted by P and B View Post
Wow! What an adventure. Glad you had a pleasant experience despite the weather. That's a long trip for the first time out.

Remember, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger! Welcome to the club.

Phil
Phil, Thanks for writing.--Glad 2 b part of the club. This is sure a great group!

Yea, I know the "shake down" trip should only be about 100 miles. I only made it 20x as long! Now I KNOW how it handles.

DH just got home, gotta go and show him!

Nance

Old 10-31-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

That sounds similar to my trip back from buying our TM. We drove cross country over 3 days to some relatives and picked up the TM nearby with the help of the relative, who drove it home. A few days later, I drove by myself 10 hours from there to a place we camped for a week.....that drive was awful. I was sick, my dog was panting in my ear the whole time (which gets pretty old after about an hour), and I was fighting Washington DC freeway traffic at night and in the rain. Ugh. I was NOT happy.

After spending a week there, we drove back home, taking the long route over about 9 days. Much more relaxing.

Dave
Old 10-31-2009, 10:35 PM   #5
robertkennel

Happy days! I bought mine on my birthday. Glad to hear you made it home safely. See you in Petaluma in April. Good luck fellow trailerite.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:17 AM   #6
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

So happy that you got home safely and that it was what you were hoping for. How wonderful that the previous owners were so kind. I'm sure it's all good from here on out!

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-24-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
joe&Nance

Just got it registered and got the CA Permanent Trailer License! YEA. I was very concerned that as some mentioned they don't get the Permanent license and have to pay property tax every year, but guess I found the right DMV and employees. I did have major issue, as had to be “verified” and the lanes were too small to cut the corner! Finally someone helped direct traffic in other lane to stop for me and finally got it around corner, then, of course, once he started process found that exterior VIN was not able to be read, fortunately, you all had posted where to find it under the sink, but that meant waiting for another person to verify as first guy was unwilling to wait to open enough to access. Was there over two hours even with an appointment. Glad I found all paperwork online and had it all filled out before going as DH had to leave to get ready for work.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #8
rumbleweed

Congrats. I am sure you will enjoy it. Sure glad I don't live in Ca.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #9
joe&Nance

Bob, yea, but all is well that ended well! I was dreading the DMV thing--somehow I knew it would be a royal pain in the (you know what). I was waiting for them to tell me it had to be done within 10 days and that I missed that deadline, but fortunately I made my appt the day I returned home from TX and the earliest was 21 days out- so they couldn't say I didn't try-- (I also called DMV and got an agent's name and id just in case..)
Nance

Old 11-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

The TM is NOT (legally) eligible for PTI tags. The law reads a "Camp Trailer" must not exceed 16' from the end of the tongue to the rear bumper (except tent trailers). There is nothing in the law about "Living" in the trailer. The trick is understanding what a "Camp Trailer" is (description below)

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc242.htm
A "camp trailer" is a vehicle designed to be used on a highway, capable of human habitation for camping or recreational purposes, that does not exceed 16 feet in overall length from the foremost point of the trailer hitch to the rear extremity of the trailer body

NOTE: A camp trailer or fifth-wheel trailer (depending upon maximum length, width, or size) can be registered as a trailer coach, or camp trailer. Camp trailers are subject to PTI, but trailer coaches are subject to annual registration and excluded from PTI.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/commercial/cvra.htm
Scroll down to "Trailers"

The law is very confusing and not many DMV employees or managers are familiar with PTI tags understand the rules. Some get lucky and the DMV clerk makes an error and hands out the PTI sticker. Once you have it, chances of getting it taken away are very slim.
Closed Thread