TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-10-2009, 05:48 AM   #1
Ranman68

Default Question about fresh water tank/city water

We're still newbies at the camping with the TM. As I look around the campgrounds, I see most of the RV's/Trailers hooked up to the city water with the hose. Most of the places we camp in GA do not have sewer at the campsite. We also don't have a portable tank yet, so if we fill up our 20 gallon gray water tank, we would have to take everything down and haul it over to the dump station and come back and set up.
What I normally do is just fill up the fresh water tank and remove the hose.
Is there some advantage to using the city connection vs filling the tank when you don't have sewer connection?
Old 08-10-2009, 06:00 AM   #2
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
so if we fill up our 20 gallon gray water tank
Our unit has a 30 gallon gray water tank . . . and I assume your does also. It would be much easier to use a blue tote for transporting gray water to the dump station when you don't have a sewer connection.

Quote:
Is there some advantage to using the city connection vs filling the tank when you don't have sewer connection?
I can think of a few advantages - less wear and tear on the water pump; quieter operation (no pump noise); easier to fill the hot water heater.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
Ranman68

Thanks for the help.
We are going to buy one of those portable totes sooner or later. I definitely see the advantage on that.
I guess I don't know how the hot water heater gets filled. I assumed it got filled when the fresh water tank had water in it, it just filled automatically. If I just use the city connection, does it automatically fill up, or would I need to do this manually somehow?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #4
commodor47
Site Sponsor

When filling using the city water connection, the hot water heater will also fill. The best way to do that is to open kitchen and bathroom faucets (hot and cold) and let the air out as the water enters the system. It is important to bleed the air from the hot water tank when filling. Once water emerges consistently (no more air) from the hot water faucet the hot water tank is full and you can close the hot water faucet(s). Be prepared for some spattering during this process, especially with the bathroom sink.

The same is not true when filling the fresh water tank. That process only fills the fresh water tank and not the hot water heater. Once you activate the on board water pump (by turning on the pump switch and opening a hot water faucet), water will go from the fresh water tank into the hot water tank - about 6 gallons worth. I prefer to fill the hot water tank at home, prior to traveling.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
PopBeavers

I prefer to drink the water I brought with me from home. On the rare trip where we have hookups, I connect the water hose if and when my 40 gallon tank is 3/4 empty.

The noise of the pump is a reminder to the person washing the dishes to be conservative in the use of water.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
Scott O

To follow up and emphasize Dick's comments on filling the water heater...be extremely careful it is full before you turn on either the propane or 110 on the water heater. If it is not completely full you will fry the heating element in less time than it takes you to wonder if it is full! When water flows from a hot water faucet without sputtering it is full. This is one of our first steps in the inside set-up routine.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
rumbleweed

One more caution. Don't forget to turn off the HW heater when you drain the HW tank after camping. If you don't and you connect to shore power to load up your TM for your next trip, you will burn up the element. I added a warning label on the Shore Power connection door to remind me.