TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2002, 11:31 AM   #1

Default 2720 Questions

First of all I would like to thank everyone who has made this site possible and all who have contributed to it. My wife and I were considering buying a tent trailer in the next year, during my research on the web we came across the TM site, WOW. What a fantastic unit. The best of both worlds, pop-up towability/storage, and the benefits of a hard side. Exactly what we want. But I gather from reading most (if not all) of the posts on this site most of you know this already I have a couple of questions....
1: Does the OAL include spare tire and carrier?

2: Does the OA height include the factory 2 1/2" lift?

3: Do the slide out versions have smaller water tanks?
(11gal instead of 20gal.)

4: Does any one have tinted windows and do you think its a good idea to do so.

I have a maximum of 19' of lenght and 78" height available in my garage I understand that a roof air is out of the question for now and that a swing away hitch would be needed. I just want to make sure before I get that baby home.

Thanks again
Old 08-03-2002, 11:42 PM   #2
Happytrails

Default Re: 2720 Questions

Well, going by my old TM, an M25 which I've been told by TM is the equivelent of a 3023....

1.) Not sure, but don't think so....I'll have to measure it and get back with ya.

2.) No, not at all, that is an "option" you add, which will add 2.5"

3.) Far as I know, no, they all have 20 gal tanks...even says it in their brochure.

4.) A few people do, and those that camp in hot sunny places consider it to be an invaluable investment. I'd guess it'd be a matter of preference. Though I don't plan on doing any desert camping, once I get my plate cleared a little, I plan on tinting my windows. It does keep it cooler and with side air, every little bit helps.

Happytrails.......
Old 08-04-2002, 02:27 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Assuming that OAL means OverAll Length ...
1. I don't believe that the catalog-specified length included the spare tire on the rear bumper, since the spare is (believe it or not) an option. However, the spare is now carried on a rack under the trailer, and not on the rear bumper.
2. I don't believe so. As Happy says, the lift kit is an option, so the standard description would not include it.
3. I believe that my unit has an 11-gallon tank. When we dry-camp, we carry 10 more in 2-1/2 gal plastic jugs in the tow vehicle.
4. No idea ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 03:44 PM   #4
KB7OUR

J+S_Shaw,

Answers for a 2002 2720SL:

1) 19' of garage is enough to clear as long as you get the swing away hitch option.

2) You need 7' of height to clear with roof air and 2.5" lift.
If it were me I would keep the lift for clearance and ask the factory to add a side air instead - maybe they can still do this. You will be glad you have the air when you really need it. Side air is better than no air.

3) Water tank is 20 gal.

4) No tinted windows, but I would like them tinted. Appears you need to remove all the screws to get to the screened portion as the screens are not easily removable. Might be too much trouble.

Hope this helps.

Wade
Old 08-06-2002, 06:49 AM   #5

Thanks for the info, it has been very helpful so far. Assuming the factory will still do side air, do you give up anything in the trailer for it? i.e. cabinet space or change in floorplan layout?  ;D    
Old 08-06-2002, 02:24 PM   #6
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Quote:
Thanks for the info, it has been very helpful so far. Assuming the factory will still do side air, do you give up anything in the trailer for it? i.e. cabinet space or change in floorplan layout?  ;D    
Just to correct a previous post: 2720SL water tank is 11 Gal.

Here's a paste from the 2nd post on page 9 of the General Disc section:

>  OUCH--on this 2720SL we are in process of buying(you may remember recent tire thread) we were telling our dealer that some of you guys had put in a secong fresh water tank under the sink, i believe. well, the dealer called jimmy davis about it, and was told that he would have to remove the water heater and one of the other  appliances to take out the old tank and replace it with a new 20 GAL. tank!! tell me again that this is unnecessary--that a separate 11 gal tank can be added. or do we need to pay so much and have a completely new tank (one 20 gal tank) installed at 330.00 plus cost of tank and shipping. meanwhile, i'm going to try to find the threads on this board that talked about adding a tank to this model. thanks so much again!  <

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 02:39 AM   #7
KB7OUR

The fresh water tank on our 2002 2720SL is 20 gal. It resides under the sink. This is also posted on the weight sticker inside the trailer. Did some TMs similar to ours come with an 11 gal tank at one time?

Wade
Old 08-07-2002, 02:48 AM   #8
KB7OUR

J+S_Shaw,

You will lose some cabinet space if you have the side air installed. Nothing comes without paying some kind of price.
This would be a minor compromise for me if I had to go this route. It may not be the case for you if you need the extra space. Also, there seems to be some debate about the fresh water tank size. Mine is posted at 20 gal but I am now beginning to wonder if it is really 11. To know for sure I may need to measure it. I suppose it would be easy enough to fill with a hose then see how many 5 gal containers it fills when draining out.

Wade
Old 08-07-2002, 07:53 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re: 2720 Questions - 20 gallons!

Nope, Wade, you are correct. I just went out and measured the tank - it is about 22 x 17 x 12-1/2 inches, which is 20 gallons. Interesting that the owners manual says on page 17 "A 20 gallon fresh water tank is located under the sofa, dinette seat, or in a cabinet. The 2720 Slideout model is equipped with an 11 gallon fresh water tank." I could swear that I also saw it on the TrailManor web site, and that my dealer said the same thing. And although I remember the thread Denny mentioned, apparently there has been a change recently.

That reminds me. In addition to the 20 (!) gallons in the water tank, there is another 6 gallons in the water heater IF you remember to fill it before you leave home. On my first dry-camping trip, I carefully filled the water tank before leaving home. Then, when we arrived at the camp site and turned on the demand pump, it moved 6 of those precious gallons into the water heater, and three more into the toilet charge. Boy did I feel dumb.

So, if you do it right, the real answer is 26 usable gallons of fresh water.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 12:03 PM   #10
KB7OUR

Bill, I can relate to your last paragraph about the 6 gal in the water heater. I did exactly the same thing about a week ago during our awesome trip to Yellowstone. Now I know to fill the heater tank next time so as not to lose 6 gals from the fresh water. Also had a chance to use it on the elec setting instead of LP when we had full hookups in West Yellowstone, MT. We all had nice hot showers with Hal's "hands free shower" setup.

Wade