TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2016, 11:25 AM   #1
drverinpa

Default Recirculating toilet in 2417

Hi everyone, I am new to TM, but was scanning some posts for awhile. My question is which I don't know if it has been answered somewhere before or not, if so sorry. I am thinking of a 2417 sometime in the future, not sure how soon or distant. That will depend on $$ situation. But, as in my id I am a disabled local rver in pa and I was wondering if they can put the recirculating toilet in the 2417?, as I do not have the strength to handle the cassette. Also next question is my tv is a 96 plymouth voyager, will that handle the 2417 for 3 or 4 weekend trips? The trips would just be maybe 2 hours at most each way. I know someone will chime in and ask what size engine etc. I am not sure yet as I was supposed to get it a month or so ago, but the garage is dragging their feet with it. I am by no means a rookie to camping. I camped as a child with my dad in an Apache tent trailer.
I tented on my own many years.
I had a 25ft Prowler in the mid 90's that I lived in for 2 yrs. on the river.
Before that I had a teardrop, what an experience that was, first time I empited the black water tank I had a major mess the hose popped off, would remind you of the movie Rv in a way lol. Thanks for the help in advanced. Happy Trails
Old 04-21-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
BradS7535

Quote:
Originally Posted by drverinpa View Post
But, as in my id I am a disabled local rver in pa and I was wondering if they can put the recirculating toilet in the 2417?, as I do not have the strength to handle the cassette.
According to the TM website (http://trailmanor.com/wordpress/2417-series/) the 2417 comes with the recirculating toilet. Unless of course you were looking at the 2417 Sport Series, which has a wet bath/cassette toilet as an option.

Not sure if they could swap out the cassette in the wet bath, might have something to do with getting water all over it. Doesn't hurt to ask a dealer or call the factory.
BradS7535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #3
drverinpa

thanks Brad. I was looking at the 2417 kb floor plan and it showed wet bath with cassette should of looked at standard equipment.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:07 PM   #4
BradS7535

It could still be a typo on the standard options page, I would check with the factory. I looked on rvtrader as there are a couple of 2417s available and all the toilets look the same, but some posts list it as a recirculating while others say cassette.
BradS7535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:47 PM   #5
drverinpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS7535 View Post
It could still be a typo on the standard options page, I would check with the factory. I looked on rvtrader as there are a couple of 2417s available and all the toilets look the same, but some posts list it as a recirculating while others say cassette.
Thanks, I looked at the link you posted and it said wet bath there also. I will have to just check with the dealer and factory when i am ready to buy.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:50 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There is a delicate question that comes up every couple years. And perhaps I have missed something in your post.

If you don't feel that you have the strength to handle a cassette (meaning pull the cassette out, carry it to the dump, and dump it), are you sure you have the strength to open and close a TM? I don't mean to be a bummer, but I wouldn't think so. Will you be camping with someone else who can handle it? Can you count on someone at the campground to do it for or with you?

From your past experience, you are already acquainted with the effort require to hitch and unhitch the trailer.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
drverinpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
There is a delicate question that comes up every couple years. And perhaps I have missed something in your post.

If you don't feel that you have the strength to handle a cassette (meaning pull the cassette out, carry it to the dump, and dump it), are you sure you have the strength to open and close a TM? I don't mean to be a bummer, but I wouldn't think so. Will you be camping with someone else who can handle it? Can you count on someone at the campground to do it for or with you?

From your past experience, you are already acquainted with the effort require to hitch and unhitch the trailer.

Bill
hi Bill, hitching and unhitching would not be a problem as if possible i would get the electric tongue jack and rig an adapter for the stabilizer jacks to my cordless drill. opening and closing should not be a problem as I can lift on the side or give the shell a little bounce to open, or tilt down the front to raise up the front half then raise the tongue past level a bit to open the back.

as far as if I am stuck with the cassette i would have my son with that could assist or maybe brace a ramp against the opening for the cassette and roll it down the ramp.

Happy rving.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #8
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I believe all 2417s come with the cassette. Both I purchased new had the cassette. It was never discussed as an option. I spent lots of time with the dealer, and talking with Bob Eickoff about the entire trailer. BUT, there is nothing that says you have to wait until it is full (6 gals x 8 lbs = 48 lbs). I have never filled ours, even on week-long trips. Of course, DW prefers to go in the woods when we are camping, for some reason, so it doesn't get all the use it could. Still, if you empty every couple of days, there would be less than 2 gallons in the cassette each time. Very manageable.

Also not sure about your shell-opening plans. Yes, if you drop the tongue as far as it will go, the front shell will open easier, then tongue-high to raise the rear. But, you must pull from the ends, not the sides, as the torsion gets all out of wack if lifting from the sides. Binding shells don't open well, at all.

Finally, closing could be an issue. If you have the torsion bars tweaked to make opening easier, closing is more difficult. You need lots of weight in the stirrups to get the latches to catch.

I would try it on a live TM before getting too far down the road towards a decision. Would hate for you to take delivery, then find it just won't work.

A cursory search on Caravan tow capacity says "2000 lbs without tow package". Does not give a weight with tow package. But, we weigh 3,500 lbs loaded for camping, with full water (40 gal tank, plus 6 gal in water heater), food, and everything else we take. Could cut weight by not filling with water, and taking less stuff, but we use almost everything every trip.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #9
drverinpa

Thanks love to camp. I was kinda pondering that too as far as trying it before actually buying, tho I would have my 9-1/2 yr old son with. I can open car trunks and hoods ok, so I would figure that the shells would not be much more especially by TM's page and vid I have seen where they can open it with one hand.

I was considering that also with the cassette but we would be going through more chems that way wouldn't we?

The info I seen searching the voyager is 3500 with tow package, but since we would only be going maybe 2 hrs at most one way 3-4 times during the summer I figure trailer brakes and WD hitch should suffice as I am not a speed demon. My motto is 55 saves lives [ and gas ], plus where we go the average speed is 45 mph.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:41 AM   #10
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I used one box of chemicals in 4 years. Each dry package could treat 30 gallons, so I didn't use an entire package for each "charge".

Closing the TM would be more of a challenge than opening it, I think. It takes some weight (over 100 lbs, it seems), to latch the shells. It is not always a smooth, single-movement process.

Towing for only two hours is not really a justification for a tow vehicle not up to the task. (Not saying yours is not up to the task, as I don't know all the specs.) It needs to be able to control the trailer (TMs don't sway if properly loaded) and stop the trailer in an emergency maneuver. I could tow a TM with a VW Beetle, but it would not be safe. I could tow a 15,000 lb trailer with my Jeep (tow rating 7,200 lbs), but it would not be safe on any public road, even if I only towed for 15 minutes.

If your new van is rated for 3,500 lbs, you will be at the limit, without water. you also need to allow for cargo capacity. The tongue wt on a 2417 could be over 400 lbs, which is considered part of your cargo capacity.

Just saying, check all factors and functions, before buying a TM. I love mine, but would be very cautious about suggesting it may be viable for someone in your situation, and with your anticipated tow vehicle. Even though I want the income of an NBA player, I can't play in the NBA.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2417, minivan, recirculating toilet