TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
gcubed

Default Debating switch from tm 2619 to elkmont 24

We just got back from a week trip to Zion national park and Bryce Canyon. They were gorgeous and I suggest visiting them if you get a chance. I think I am getting tired of setting up and tearing down the TM, it seems that our latest adventures take us to multiple places in one week and I spend most of my time leveling, setting up and moving items in and out of my Tow vehicle. So I am wondering what the pro's and cons of switching to an Elkmont from my 2619 would be.

Thanks.

-Gregg
Old 04-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
brulaz

Well, you still have to level and stabilize your trailer. Unhitch it and so on.

And inside, you still have to pack away gear so it doesn't rattle around.

What you don't have to do is raise and lower cabinets, washroom walls and the whole upper half of your trailer.

There are other advantages and disadvantages. The Elkmont is only 24', not your 26' open and it probably weighs similarly. But as an upright you might need a more heavy-duty tow vehicle 'cause of wind resistance, sway and a >600# tongue weight. Your gas mileage will definitely be worse. We get 12mpg typically.

On the other hand, the Elkmont has a large (propane only) frig that's NOT under the counter, and usually comes with a regular rv toilet (and 15gal capacity tank), but you can get the recirculating toilet if you want.

Also, it is nice to pull over and have lunch or take a nap or use the toilet whenever the need arises.

But I would insist on one made recently. Many of the early models (2008-2010?) had issues.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
Shandysplace

Default Excellent Advice

Brulaz pretty much laid it out for you. We traded in our '08 3326 for a new Elkmont 26 from Custom RV because we too, got tired of the up and down. Now our Elkmont sits in our driveway where it's very convenient to work on and maintain. Compared to our 3326, the Elkmont has more storage space--just in different places. But we did lose a lot of counter space for meal preparation--something we're adjusting to. There will always be tradeoffs.

We didn't want to deal with the hassle of trying to sell it ourselves. Custom RV took care of everything--handled all the paperwork, gave us a fair value for our 3326 and we drove home to Petaluma with our new Elkmont.

The warranty issues we had were promptly handled by the factory and Custom RV. We were fortunate to find an RV service outlet just a few miles from home to handle the minor warranty issues.

Camping now with the Elkmont is more enjoyable, less stressful. Now we can arrive on a Friday evening, and leave late Sunday morning having had a good time for a day w/o without that up and down labor making a weekend trip in the 3326 impractical because of that work.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
PopBeavers

Anyone with an Ekmont instead of a TM can not go with me because they are too tall.

If you don't want to go where I go, then this does not matter.

If you do not tow with a high ground clearance 4wd vehicle, then you won't go where I go.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

We owned 3 different new TrailManors from 1992 to 2010. We had the 2720 & two 3326 King models. We really enoyed all 3 trailers. Due to Ron's Parkinsons Diease, we had to opt for a trailer that had a traditional bed to get in & out of. We liked the TrailManor product so we opted for a new 2011 Elkmont 26 last April. The Elkmont is just a couple inches longer than the 3326 King closed. We were hesitant about the loss of the extra length when opened, but that disappeared after owning and using the new Elkmont.

Having the huge freezer & refrig is just great. We don't have to worry about a big cooler anymore. Also, it's nice to stop at a rest area and have a snack in the unit and use the bathroom without walking a mile to the restrooms. You know where they always park the RV's!!!!. It's so much more convenient if you want to just sit on the couch and rest a little. All of the extra overhead storage is just great.

The other nice thing is that you can get to your outside storage compartments without having to open up the trailer. I always had to carry a lot of the things in the truck that I used to level out the trailer before opening it up. Now I don't have to worry about this.

It's also easier to heat since you don't have those drafty areas that are mentioned so often on the forum. Also, we love the larger bathroom in the Elkmont 26.

I don't notice any difference towing our old 3326King and the new Elkmont 26. They both weigh about the same. Also, my gas mileage is reduced only by 1-2 miles. I don't think this is too bad considering the extra wind resistance. The one good thing is the front of the Elkmont is quite aerodynamic which I believe helps out.

We are very happy now that we bought the Elkmont. When you get older, you try to keep things simple. Not having to open & close the trailer has helped out a lot. It's nice to open the door and be able to walk in and get things. Please don't get me wrong, I am not knocking the traditional TrailManor. If we didn't like them so much we would have never owned 3 of them over the years. It served us well over the years, and it is now time to start another chapter.