TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-11-2007, 03:08 PM   #1
fishpondwest

Default Pacific to Atlantic and back - Part 4

Hi again. Here we go with part 4 of ? parts.
We left Charleston, SC and have vowed to come back to follow up on things we didn't see the first time around. We are now off down the coast to Savannah, GA. The best place we found to stay in the Savannah area is the Rivers End Campground and RV park on Tybee Island, about 15 miles East of Savannah. On thel way you will pass Fort Pulaski on Cockspur Island. Fort Pulaski is the site of the battle in 1862 that was a turning point in the Civil War as it featured the use of rifled cannon in combat. The Fort and monument are open for tours and the whole area around it is beautiful coastal marsh with an abundance of natural wildlife. Definately worth stopping to see. Just beyond that is Tybee Island, site of the famous Tybee Island Light Station. This is one of the oldest and best preserved lighthouses in the US. Built in 1732 it has been guiding mariners safely to the Savannah River for over 270 years and has all of its buildings in tact and offers selfguided tours to up to the top of the light house. Definately worthwhile stop.
We had one disappointment in Savannah and that was that dogs are not allowed on any of the beaches which meant that eventhough we could take long walks with Izzie we couldn't take her to the beach.
We arrived in Savannah on the weekend and therefore didn't have a kennel lined up for Izzie so we took her with us on our tour of the city. We decided on the Old Savannah Trolley Tours because they were the only one that would take Izzie. She settled in on dthe floor and seemed oblivious to the tour. The city is beautiful to walk and is layed out in a grid with some 20+ parks occupying full city blocks. The parks have fountains, statues and Live Oaks covered in Spanish Moss and are worth strolling through and lingering. Tour pointed out historic homes and events and gave us a good idea of things we would like to spend more time with. We took the Trolley across the city to the water front which is famous for the cotton inspection warehouses that used to be teeming with activity. We then walked back across the city revisiting parks and strolling down quaint streets lined with beautiful old homes and huge Oak trees. If you are a food network junkie you have to stop at Paula Deans restaurant, A lady and Sons. Word has it that it is so popular during the season that people start lining up early in the morning in order to get into the front door for lunch. No reservations. The restaurant was closed while we were there and would not re-open until after we left Savannah because Paula was shooting new episodes for the Food Network.
Anyone who saw the movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil has to have a special interest in Savannah as the story is non-fiction and takes place in this wonderful city. The movie was directed by Clint Eastwood from the book by John Berendt. Another must is to visit the Bonaventure Cemetery. It is huge and set amongst huge Live Oaks draped with Spanish Moss. The cemetery is visited by the auther in the beginning and end of the Book and is the object of the title of the book, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Also buried in the cemetery are composer Johnny Mercer, Poet and writer, Conrad Aiken and Josiah Tattnall, Civil War Confederate Naval Captain. Reading the headstones makes one wonder about life in this part of the world in the 18th and 19th century.
Since we couldn't eat at Paula's we had dinner instead at Uncle Bubba's Oyster House. Bubba is Paula's brother and the restaurant is situated in the outskirts of Savannah with views in every direction of the river and the Marshes. While there we asked the waitress about the X's taped on the floor and the big lighting arrays and counters that were set up in the dining room and learned that Paula Dean lives nearby and uses her brother's restaurant to tape her food network shows with a live audience. We discovered that one of the reasons that her restaurant downtown was closed was that she was taping that whole week at Bubba's and had we known we could have gone to the internet and applied for free tickets to her noon time show taping. As we left Tybee Island the next day we passed Bubba's and sure enough it's parking lot was crowded with cars and TV sound and lighting trucks all there as part of her show taping. We will miss Savannah, GA, our most enjoyable stop yet but we've saved some things to do and see the next time we pass this way. Now it's onward South to the Golden Isles of Georgia, a series of small islands off the coast and adjacent to the Inland Waterway. When I return I'll pick up our travel log as we arrive on beautiful Jekyll Island.
Now I've got work to do so I'm off.
Dan
Old 02-11-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Yowsa....

.....sounds like a travelog from DW and my travels. Charleston twice, Savannah twice (including Fort Pulaski and Tybee Isle), and Jekyll Island onest.

My virtual eyes could see everything you mentioned (I'll have to wait for Jekyll; great beaches). Savannah is still my all-time favorite. Spent a lot of time in the endlessly fascinating Bonaventure Cemetary...once we found it. Fascinating city, fascinating history. Also, Savannites have a thing about their "Waving Girl".

Really enjoy reading your travelog.

Denny_A
Old 02-11-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

The more I hear about this area the more I'd like to visit. Thanks for posting about your adventures and the things to see! It sounds like that area of the country has so many more historical sites to see than around here (we do have some, but I've been to most of them ).
Old 02-11-2007, 10:58 PM   #4
riverrat

fishpondwest, Keep those cards and letters rolling in sounds like a dream trip to me. I have never gotten to that part of the country yet but certainly hope to. Noticed in an earlier post you traveled to College Station. My Father and step mom live at Lake Somerville nice area but I'm particial since I grew up a little north of there, Marlin Texas. My wife's passion is genelogy and would love the cemetary tour. In fact when we retire in a few years I don't doubt if we get to Savanah we will make the tour. I told her that I was putting a sign on the back of the trailer "Cemetary Tour". Liked the movie also.
I am watching your progress with intrest since we have a Honda Ridgeline and your pulling a 3124ks with a Pilot. We have not purchased a TM yet but it won't be long. We have narrowed it down to TM for sure, but maybe a 2619 for now. Have a happy and safe trip.
riverrat
Jim Davis
kelseyville CA
06 Ridgeline and the rest TBD
Old 02-12-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
fishpondwest

I see you're from Kelseyville. My wife and I and little Izzie live in Hidden Valley Lake. Have been here for about 41/2 years. Have eaten at the Saw Shop many times and love Wildhurst.
Dan
Old 02-18-2007, 12:12 AM   #6
riverrat

It is a small world, amazing. We have lived in kelseyville about 18 years, and work in Lakeport. My wife works at Shari's Secret Garden, you may have been there. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Really busy week at work.

Hope the trip is still going well. We had planned to go to the Sacramento RV show this weekend and possibly make the purchase, but we were not able to. That nichel is just burning a hole in my pocket, as my Mom used to say.

Well we are awaiting the next chapter. Have fun and have a safe trip.
riverat
Jim and Sandie
Old 04-03-2007, 02:32 AM   #7
cali camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpondwest View Post
I see you're from Kelseyville. My wife and I and little Izzie live in Hidden Valley Lake. Have been here for about 41/2 years. Have eaten at the Saw Shop many times and love Wildhurst.
Dan
Dan and Randa,
I was doing some web surfing a few months ago and came across Hidden Valley Lake real estate listings while we were looking at retirement location potential sites. Can you recommend any places near you we could bring the TrailManor up to for the weekend to do some "scouting around"?

2007 2720SD, Dual 80 watt solar panels, flat screen LCD TV mounted on side wall, 210 Ah AGM Battery, Link 10, Dual Honda 2000EUi's
Cadillac Escalade EXT, Prodigy
cali camping is offline   Reply With Quote