TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #31
flipflop

A quick review of Honda EU2000is and Yamaha EF2000iSv2. Both bought new last month.

- Both have an extensive parts and service network which is helpful.
- Decibels are about the same, weight about the same.
- Yamaha has a fuel gauge, Honda no.
- Yamaha has both a fuel cutoff knob and an engine electrical cutoff, Honda combines both in one knob. This is actually not a big deal for storage, because it's very easy to drain the Honda's carburetor of residual fuel, takes about two minutes.
- Both have a carburetor drain tube, good feature.
- Honda's side panel to access the carburetor, air cleaner, internals is much simpler than the Yamaha. Honda has one screw vs two screws and three yankouts on the Yamaha.
- Both have parallel kits so you can carry two 2kw's weighing 45lbs each to get 4kw, instead of a single 4kw weighing 160 lbs.
- Honda has a retention strap on the gas cap, nice feature, Yamaha no.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:49 PM   #32
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflop View Post
A quick review of Honda EU2000is and Yamaha EF2000iSv2. Both bought new last month.

- Both have an extensive parts and service network which is helpful.
- Decibels are about the same, weight about the same.
- Yamaha has a fuel gauge, Honda no.
- Yamaha has both a fuel cutoff knob and an engine electrical cutoff, Honda combines both in one knob. This is actually not a big deal for storage, because it's very easy to drain the Honda's carburetor of residual fuel, takes about two minutes.
- Both have a carburetor drain tube, good feature.
- Honda's side panel to access the carburetor, air cleaner, internals is much simpler than the Yamaha. Honda has one screw vs two screws and three yankouts on the Yamaha.
- Both have parallel kits so you can carry two 2kw's weighing 45lbs each to get 4kw, instead of a single 4kw weighing 160 lbs.
- Honda has a retention strap on the gas cap, nice feature, Yamaha no.

I really appreciate the review...and am still on the fence.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:59 PM   #33
Padgett
TrailManor Master

And the elephant in the room: is either big enough for what you want ? Both have about the same continuous output, 1600W. If you plan to run the roof AC (either will work with a soft start device), its steady state need at LO fan speed is 1440W. This does not leave much for infotainment or 12v lighting.

For my use, a 2400W (max)/2100W (continuous) leaves enough for my needs without running at near maximum for hours.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:59 PM   #34
flipflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
And the elephant in the room: is either big enough for what you want ? Both have about the same continuous output, 1600W. If you plan to run the roof AC (either will work with a soft start device), its steady state need at LO fan speed is 1440W. This does not leave much for infotainment or 12v lighting.

For my use, a 2400W (max)/2100W (continuous) leaves enough for my needs without running at near maximum for hours.
Yah, the AC is a big deal, I'm going with two 2kW's in parallel vs a 2400W. A 2400 weighs about 75lbs vs 45lbs for a 2kW, just easier to maneuver for me even though two of them.

A single 2kW is not big enough, 2400W possibly not big enough also, so two kW's. There's so many variables - needs, wants, cost, weight, fuel consumption, where you're at, versatility.

Also, I have no idea how this enhanced solar setup will do charging the batteries (85W factory, 100W Renogy suitcase w/MPPT). That could reduce the amount of generator power needed to recharge the batteries. Our old setup with a different trailer, two 27F 12v deep cycles in parallel, zero solar, the Champion 2kW needed about six hours at max RPM to charge the batts after running the furnace overnight in 20-30 degree temps.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:49 PM   #35
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflop View Post
... the Champion 2kW needed about six hours at max RPM to charge the batts after running the furnace overnight in 20-30 degree temps.
Ooh, wrong approach, though a common one.

Most generators have a battery charger output. It seems that no matter what size generator you have, the battery charger output will charge at 8 amps max. And sure enough, at 8 amps, it takes a long time to charge a 75 A-H battery that is down to 50% charge. A better idea is to plug the TM's shore power cord into the AC outlet of the generator. This fires up the TM's converter/battery charger, which can charge the battery much faster than 8 amps.

I have no idea why gen manufacturers think an 8-amp charger port is a good idea, but they seem to.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:09 PM   #36
Padgett
TrailManor Master

About as useful as USB charge outlets. Suspect the 8A uses OTS components and cords so why change ?

I tried for a balanced system and the 2400 weighs 50lbs, fits in the rear compartment, and matches the other components.

ps my coffeemaker pulls 770W for three minutes and in Florida the solar panels take about 24 minutes to recharge.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #37
flipflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Ooh, wrong approach, though a common one.

Most generators have a battery charger output. It seems that no matter what size generator you have, the battery charger output will charge at 8 amps max. And sure enough, at 8 amps, it takes a long time to charge a 75 A-H battery that is down to 50% charge. A better idea is to plug the TM's shore power cord into the AC outlet of the generator. This fires up the TM's converter/battery charger, which can charge the battery much faster than 8 amps.

I have no idea why gen manufacturers think an 8-amp charger port is a good idea, but they seem to.

Bill
No, no, I had the shore power cord plugged into the 2kW Champion's 15A AC outlet.

Also, I should have mentioned the furnace was still kicking in stealing power from a recharge. If it's 25 degrees overnight, it's 25 degrees at sunrise. The furnace would cycle for apx three hours to keep the trailer comfortable while breakfasting, washing up.

I figured this time around with a different trailer I won't go cheapo for boondocking, get the proper power capability. We're new to trailering, always before it was tent camping, Coleman stoves and lanterns, sleeping bags, longjohns, chopping wood.

We still want to boondock, but finding out that even a small light trailer has its own set of issues if you want the full comfort available - extra LP tanks, replenishing fresh water, electricity.

This TM is Round Two with an offroad-capable trailer, previous was a Kodiak 172E hybrid. I feel ok with the TM, 40g water tank is a big deal, enclosed underbelly, room for dual batts and LP tanks on the tongue.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #38
flipflop

Quote:
About as useful as USB charge outlets. Suspect the 8A uses OTS components and cords so why change ?

I tried for a balanced system and the 2400 weighs 50lbs, fits in the rear compartment, and matches the other components.

ps my coffeemaker pulls 770W for three minutes and in Florida the solar panels take about 24 minutes to recharge.
Looking at the Westinghouse WH2400i, that's a good deal. I was thinking it would be heavier than 50lbs, you live and learn. I'd still want to put the US Carb LP conversion kit on it. Parallel kit available.

I was locked into Honda or Yamaha for their parts and service network.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:43 PM   #39
Padgett
TrailManor Master

About a year ago I got very deep into the whole generator market and found that the Honda 2000 was a landmark design, that was at the end of the last century. Think is that both small motor and generator/inverter technology has improved a lot in the last 18+ years.

So the Honda EU2000i is uberreliable the same way a Harley Davidson is reliable and for much the same reason. Yamahas date from the same period.

I put together a Q&D web page as an appendix to my testing.

My opinion though is that if Honda was to redesign their line today it would be lighter, quieter, and have about 25% more output. That said when you sell all you can make for a premium price, why change ?

ps I have both a Westro WH2000iXLT (my original) and a WH2400i (bought at the end of last year). They can be paralleled.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:00 PM   #40
flipflop

Quote:
About a year ago I got very deep into the whole generator market and found that the Honda 2000 was a landmark design, that was at the end of the last century. Think is that both small motor and generator/inverter technology has improved a lot in the last 18+ years.

So the Honda EU2000i is uberreliable the same way a Harley Davidson is reliable and for much the same reason. Yamahas date from the same period.

I put together a Q&D web page as an appendix to my testing.

My opinion though is that if Honda was to redesign their line today it would be lighter, quieter, and have about 25% more output. That said when you sell all you can make for a premium price, why change ?

ps I have both a Westro WH2000iXLT (my original) and a WH2400i (bought at the end of last year). They can be paralleled.
Thanks for your web page link, there was a lot of good info there.

I agree weight per generator is the deciding factor.

I did not know until reading your review that the WH2400i had such a great Watts/weight ratio.

I went with the old reliable. The Honda 2000i and 2000i companion I converted to tri-fuel and donated them to an animal rescue organization. Then bought a Yamaha ef2000i already converted to tri-fuel from US Carb.

The Micro-Aire soft start kit seems like a good deal.