TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #1
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

Default Shells (rub marks)

I am getting rub marks (both the kind that I think will rub out with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser and ones that are stripping away parts of the coating -I am seeing small areas of exposed aluminum). I recall seeing a post, from a while ago, where someone's front shell was rubbing their back shell right at the corner where the wall meets the roof. The provided picture there could have been my camper (mine looks the same and I am down to aluminium in that spot (as well as a couple spots on the wall).

I am concerned about longevity and would be curious as to what I need to look for (as far a adjusting / protecting the contact points of the shells).

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:25 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Use the Search tool to find posts on UHMW tape. There are many, and they are helpful. The earlier you catch those rubs, the happier you will be.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:54 AM   #3
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

So, taping it is an option, but is it indicative of excessive play, things being out of adjustment, etc? If it is indicative of these things, should I rather explore getting things setup proper? I want to do right by my TM (working on taking better care of the things I've invested resources (money, time, etc) into).

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:36 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo628 View Post
So, taping it is an option, but is it indicative of excessive play, things being out of adjustment, etc?
No. When you open and close the trailer, the upper shells slide over and past each other, and past the walls of the lower box. To enable those surfaces to pass over each other, there is, of necessity, a gap between those surfaces. TM uses flexible seals called bag seals to close the gaps, and keep wind/rain/bugs out of the trailer. To close the gap, the bag seals need to come in contact with the surfaces, but as the bag seals slide over the surfaces, some wear is inevitable. I can't think of any other way that these gaps could be closed with a simple and inexpensive mechanism.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:17 AM   #5
chay1950

Default UHMW Tape Question: Excessive wear on roof center seal tape

I have a section of rear roof center sealing tape that has been tornup by rubbing the bottom of the AC unit. This apparently just started. I noticed that the AC cover was sagging just a little, but enought to start getting black rub marks on it and it's right over the roof tape.
My solution is to replace this section of roof tape with Seal & Peel brand bonding tape (since that is what I have on hand) and then place 4" wide UHMW tape over it. Does anyone have a better idea and will this work? I have since screwed the AC cover back up to where it should be.
chay1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:46 PM   #6
eddugo

My 2720 seal rubbed through the paint and exposed aluminum on the way to last years TB fall rally. It was caused by the 2, 1/4" bolts that hold the mechanism that locks the shell down, loosening up and I had excessive movement. After tightening, no problem except I need to repair the damage. Mine took the paint off next to the vertical aluminum strip next to the bedroom window. I am probably going to add a piece of the same white aluminum to cover the damage.
Anderson WD hitch
2016 Ford T-150 Transit Van
Ecoboost
eddugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:49 AM   #7
Gwenne & Len

Quote:
Originally Posted by chay1950 View Post
I have a section of rear roof center sealing tape that has been tornup by rubbing the bottom of the AC unit. This apparently just started. I noticed that the AC cover was sagging just a little, but enought to start getting black rub marks on it and it's right over the roof tape.
My solution is to replace this section of roof tape with Seal & Peel brand bonding tape (since that is what I have on hand) and then place 4" wide UHMW tape over it. Does anyone have a better idea and will this work? I have since screwed the AC cover back up to where it should be.
When addressing vent leaks on our 2720 I noticed a roof depression between the vent penetration and the air conditioner penetration where water pools. The two large roof penetrations so close together combined with the styrofoam cored out for wiring leave that section of the roof structurally weak. The weight of the AC may be too much over time. Will try loosening the hold downs and using some abrasion resistant tape over the rub zones. Any thoughts on a tape rugged enough yet compliant enough to not scrub the AC bezel?
2012 Highlander
Leelanau County, Michigan
Gwenne & Len is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adjustment, rubbing, shells