TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
The West Virginians

Default Considering purchasing a TrailManor

Good evening, all.

DW and I are considering a possible move from our current Fleetwood Westlake pop up to a TrailManor. I have been looking online at different models both new and used. I have found a pair of used that have caught my interest. The first is a 2007 2720 and the second is a 2006 2619. I have Googled all I can think of but am unable to find specifications regarding either model. What size wheels would these units have? Will the axles be of the easy lube variety? On the new side I have found a 2011 leftover 2720. Are there significant differences between the model years of the used and new?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
moaboy

Try the TrailManor website for specifications.
Go for the newer one if you can afford it and especially if you plan to travel extensively.
While the basic infrastructure is very similar, more recent models have a number of improvements that are worthwhile. More importantly, the newer one has had less time to "not be taken care of" if previous owners were not inclined to do so.
No doubt others on this forum will have a different opinion.
Good luck. Either way I think you will pleased with a good TM.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
MisterP

Single axle trailers benefit from having 15 inch wheels and a lift kit for tire clearance, but you can do it after you buy it.

I consider air conditioning and an awning necessary options, others feel differently. Some come with built in ovens, others a microwave convection oven. We rarely used the gas oven on our 3124.

You will need to decide what options or accessories are critical vs nice to have.

There is a LOT of depreciation in newer RVs of any type. Both of my TMs were purchased used, but be prepared to travel to get good ones. I went from Baltimore to Norfolk VA for my 3124, and south FL to eastern TN for our current 3326. If sellers aren't willing to send you lots of pictures, walk away, there is probably something wrong with it. That's been my experience, anyway.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Trailmanor company Website. Specs are there, in the Showroom>Specifications area.

Look at all the listings in the For Sale section of this Website. Although many listings don't have photos, some do, and you can compare the inside of the various models. Most have queen beds on one end, and if they have a bed on the other end, it is a double. Some have a dinette on the other end, in a slide (SD) and others have a couch (SL). Depending on your needs, pick your model.

We got ours for ourselves (2 of us), and the occasional grandkid. So, we got the 2417 Sport, which is narrower, but good for our use of off-road camping. It came with a second bed, as there is no slide option in the 2417. My point is, if it will just be two of you, I would encourage the SL model, as it is much roomier than the model with two beds. My next TM will be an SL model, when we are done camping off-road.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

I own a 2011 model 2720SD and would consider the newer features and "lessons learned" that were incorporated into the newer units worthwhile. Sounds like you might get a good price on a leftover 2011 year unit. However the leftover unit sounds like it may not be a SD or SL model so you will be getting the extra beds that you might not need.

I too came from a Coleman GrandviewSP tent camper and loved that unit. But no regrets at all for going with a new TrailManor product. I love the AC unit and for me, I love the gas oven.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Exclamation A VERY IMPORTANT difference might be present.

Many, perhaps a majority, of small 2006 models (2619 and 2720) were built with 14" wheels. Late in 2006, TM made the following changes:
Lift kit is always present; 15" wheels and tires; and (perhaps?) a somewhat stronger axle. The early 2006 axle had a weight capacity of 3500 lbs.

It is quite easy to upgrade the wheels and tires; somewhat harder to install the lift kits (if needed); and "major work" to replace the TorFex axle. I don't know of anyone who has replaced the Torflex on their own. That would require a factory visit or an extremely capable maintenance facility.
- - - - -
In short, the 2011 definitely has the running gear which you want. A used 2006 may or may not have upgraded wheels/tires and the lift kit already added, or it may have been built late in the year - but if it's an "early" one, even with owner-upgraded wheels and tires, it still has somewhat less cargo capacity. And two of the 3 beds in the 2619 are always "up and out", whereas two of the 2720 models have more room for people who don't need 3 beds.

As you see from my Sig, my own 2006 (one of the very first for that "model year") was built "custom", with much stronger suspension and 15" wheels/tires. TM decided to make most of my Running Gear changes standard equipment on all 2619 and 2720 models, and they've kept that change in place ever since.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
The West Virginians

Good afternoon, all. Thank you so much for the replies. We greatly appreciate the thoughts and information.

I just reread my initial post and found that it is quite vague. I apologize for that. Let me expound a bit.

There will be four of us: DW, DS, DD, and me. The children are 12 and 8. As we have the wee ones we really want a model with two bunks. The 2619 is actually the lowest on the list of considerations simply because both bunks are doubles and we would prefer at least a queen be one of the beds. The 2720 is my current favorite followed by the new 2417 Sport and Standard. I would prefer new since with the 2720 I get the 15 inch wheels that I prefer, and in all models I mentioned I assume they would have the all composite build with no wood. If I am wrong please let me know.

We are pulling with a Honda Ridgeline. While it has a 5000 pound limit I would like to go no larger than the 2720 so that I can keep the weight of the trailer and tongue weight relatively low.

Given all I have said I look forward to any additional thoughts, opinions, information, etc.

Thank you all so much.

Take care.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
webfoot

You have the same family of four and Ridgeline tow vehicle that I do. My family has a Fleetwood Sante Fe popup that we've used for the last 7 years. I've been thinking about moving to a hard-sided trailer and so have been lurking on this forum recently to learn about TrailManors.

I also targeted the 2720 and 2417 for reasons you mentioned. Honda does not recommend using a WDH, so tongue weight may be an issue with these trailers. I'm curious how many inches a fully loaded 2720 will drop the rear of the Ridgeline.

I love my Ridgeline. In 2016 Honda is supposed to come out with a new version. Maybe Honda will add to the towing capacity and change their position on using WDH.

I'll return to lurker mode and learn what you find out.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
rlawton

I have a 2008 2720 that I tow with a 2010 Honda Ridgeline without a WDH and it pulls well with no issues. I just upgraded to 15 inch tires and will need to change the hitch receiver to level the trailer better.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
The West Virginians

Ah, it's good that I am not alone in the family size and tow vehicle departments. What's even more of a coincidence is you have the exact pup I wanted when we bought the Westlake. DW overrode me, however. Nice to meet you, webfoot. Honda's recommendation against the use of a WDH is exactly why I want to watch the tongue weight. I, too, am wondering how much sag the Ridgeline will have in the rear when the TrailManor is lowered onto it. Hopefully, I'll be able to tell you before too long.

Take care.