TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #1
Cynical

Default Adjustments, adjustments, adjustments, oh my

So, I have been following Lars guidlines for making needed adjustments to my 2001 3124KS. I was able to raise the front curbside shell the 1/4" it needed to be level...Yay!

Took me all morning in the oppressive heat and zapped alot of my energy, but, I also managed to cut up scrap tire tread to make new shell bumpers (had 1 completely missing and 2 of the remaining were pretty crushed).

I then tried adjusting the torsion bar bolts for both shells as they were a bear to open when I brought her home. Was able to get some movement on the bolts underneath (center bars), but only 1 of the corner bolts will budge and it is free as can be. The others are extremely rusted and even with 2 shots of penetrating oil won't budge! The fron shell opens great now, albeit goes WAY past the locking bars. The back shell is still very heavy (has AC on top) and the excessive pulling on the back wall of the shell is pulling it away from the side panels at the very back. I will try to get pics of this tomorrow. It too was overshooting the locking bars, but I have now over adjusted, so I know that seems to be working. Hare are my 2 questions for today:

For those who have removed the lag bolt holding the locking bar in place, was it excessivly long? Mine are a good 6" long! My front shell had 3 fender washers on each side and I am removing them and going to try to get it to line up without. I have trouble getting the flap between the front shell and the slide out to hook in place because the front shell goes back too far. Should I put a vinyl washer between the bar and the frame?

Pocket stops...what is the adjustment bolt supposed to make contact with, aluminum or rubber? The curbside pockets appear to have that dark material Larry showed in his pics, however the street side is just aluminum bar stock. Does it matter? I see talk stacking washers under rubberm is that just for the older models? I am still having a hard time understanding how this function works.

If anyone has any words of wisdom about the pocket stops, adjustments, and the pin locking bars; I am all ears. Thanks.
Cynical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

This post shows as Closed, and I don't know why. I didn't do it, and I can't imagine that Chris did. I will try to re-open it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adjustments, pin locking bars, pocket stops