TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2002, 07:54 AM   #1
oilspot

Default TMs and Tornado

Well my wife and I survived THE severe weather this past weekend.  

We spent the weekend in Taylorsville Lake State Park in Central Kentucky {a very nice campground for only $10/night}.

Saturday night was a bit tense, with extremely strong winds and lots of heavy rain.  I didn't sleep well, listening to all the wind; but we came through it okay.  We found out the next day there was a tornado watch.  Wow, what a relief we didn't get hit by one.... ???

Sunday night, my parents called my cell phone to alert me about severe storms and tornadoes headed our way.    We quickly finished dinner and made emergency shelter plans (the bathhouse - laundry room).  I also warned a fellow camper a few campsites away (there were only three or four of us in the whole campground).

Then all hell broke loose and we began trying to decide when to make a run for the bathhouse, 200-yds away.  The storm was reported to be more to the north of us moving at about 45 mph.   :-/  So we decided to stay with the trailer.  I quietly wished I had a big heavy, smooth profiled, airstream trailer.... and said my prayers.  The rain came down in buckets with amazing force and it hailed for a minute or two (hail often accompanies tornado weather).

We were truly blessed.  Reports of devistation were reported well into the night, but our campground was spared.  Most of the bad storms went either north or south of our section.

I don't know exactly how much wind we endured; I estimate at least 50mph gusts.  The TM survived the whole ordeal without any problems (as far as I can tell).  I don't know how much more wind the TM could have handled, but it fell solid throughout the storm.  While I wouldn't consider TMs a storm shelter by any stretch, I'm impressed with their weather-ability.  
Old 11-13-2002, 02:22 AM   #2
arknoah

Default Re: TMs and Tornado

Glad to hear you're okay.  We live in Northwest Ohio, and a lot of people lost their homes within an hour of us, so many of our students (Defiance College Service Leaders) are going to help in the affected areas over the next week or so.
Old 11-13-2002, 05:56 AM   #3
2619PDX

Speaking of the Tornado's ...
Anyone know how Trail Manor made out???
Old 11-13-2002, 07:08 AM   #4
KB7OUR

2619PDX asked: Speaking of the Tornado's ...
Anyone know how Trail Manor made out?

I asked Bill on Mon, since he answered when I called about a warranty part, and he said they were ok miles around the factory. Having lived in OK for several years, I know what it's like to have tornado warning signals going off all around you. Fortunate enough to have never see one though.

Wade
Old 11-13-2002, 04:06 PM   #5
Larry_Loo

Oilspot,

I'm glad to hear that you and your wife are okay.

How did the Nashville area where you live fare during this storm?  ??? ???

Weren't there any forecasts of storms or storm warnings available before you left home?
Old 11-14-2002, 05:04 AM   #6
oilspot

Larry Wrote:

How did the Nashville area where you live fare during this storm?    

Weren't there any forecasts of storms or storm warnings available before you left home?

Nashville did okay.  We live on a wooded lot and expected to have trees down all over the place... but everything was fine.

The weather forcast was for rain and possible thunderstorms.  I think what really put things over the top was the near 80F temperatures on Sunday (it was also very warm on Saturday).  This added much more energy to the front that came through.

I was out participating in my annual duties as a landowner: attempting to reduce the deer population to a healthy level on the family farm.  So the daily weather forecasts were important...  We always check before we go out to the farm.

I have been searching for just the right weather radio, and really regretted not having one in the trailer with us.  I will definitely have one before the next trip.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:40 AM   #7

Get a radio with a removable antenna.  We have a combo FRS/Weather radio and when I plug the coax cable from the TV antenna into the radio (with the antenna amp on) I can get reception in a campground in a deep gourge in N.C. where nothing ever works.  I guess if the radio had a non removable antenna, you could use a lead from Radio Shack with two small clips and hook from the coax center conducter to the radios antenna.