TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-16-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
Gromitsldy

Default Air Conditioner NOISE

We just completed our FIRST long stay in our TM 3023 (2004) that we bought last fall (10 whole days with 2 kids and 2 dogs!). I think I have figured out where to put everything and it is truly a treat after camping in a traditional popup.
One "surprise" was the noise level of the AC, even on low. We have a small TV and had to have it turned up almost all the way just to hear it.
Is this noise level a common complaint, or do we possibly need to have ours looked at?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated - we are hoping to get a lot of use out of this camper!
Old 07-16-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
utahsue

Default Yes, it's loud

Our AC is very noisy, so much so that I can hardly stand to use it. There's probably nothing wrong with yours - it's just how it is.

My solution to the problem is this: when it gets too hot, we move the TM to a higher elevation! Of course, that's not really an option in your part of the world - I used to live in Missouri (Annada) and it sure got hot there.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:01 AM   #3
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Have a TM dealer take a look at your A/C. We had a similar problem with the noise level, especially when the compressor kicked on or off. The TM dealer in our area tightened the hold down bolts and it has made a tremendous difference in the noise level. Gone is the thumping when the compressor kicks on or off. And we no longer need to blast the television.
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:46 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

One of our members - I think Mike Laupp - devised a silencing approach using some foam board, as I recall. Please use the Search function to turn it up for you.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:28 AM   #5
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Here 'tis
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...oise+abatement
Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:29 PM   #6
Brightsu
Site Sponsor

we had to replace ours this past year and went with a different type, its very quite and isn't a low profile but we do not park ours in the garage, lightening hit ours last year while camping.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
jimwilly

Default A/C Replacement

Would you be willing to share what make and model a/c you put in your TM?
jimwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:40 PM   #8
KSBASS

Default Dampening Material

Here's a sound dampening material that would do the trick.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...TOKEN=16897777

I was able to kill the noise on my A/C significantly with some similiar acoustic car audio type dampening material. I then also replaced the chinsy foam inlet filters with some filters from HD that are made for A/C register vents. They are ~1/4'' thick, white and resemble scotchbrite pad material. They restrict the airflow a little, while filtering better, and thus reduce the noise more. The final stage was to use ear plugs at night.

I've still got the compressor in/out ''clunk'' but will look into checking the mounting bolts this weekend.

Troy
Old 08-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #9
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Smile cascasde audio "VB-2MP"

Thanks for the link, Troy! But your link shows a one-inch foam; I think that "speaker construction" stuff blocks too much airflow, and that the right product to use is the more-expensive-per-square-foot but MUCH thinner Cascade Audio "sheet" product, http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=268-260 The VB-2HD stuff, at twice thickness, would do a significantly better job of damping, but it's not available for sale in the "MiniPack" sheet size, so it would cost almost 3x as much to buy.

I'm gonna line both the aluminum output "plate" and the vertical output tubing which blasts onto the plate, there's probably a lot of vibration there too. Like you, I "upgraded" the input filters too. (For filtering more dirt, not just for noise). Here's my post about that: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...0000#post40000

It seems awfully sloppy that the vertical tube blasts down onto a completely horizontal plate, without even the slightest bit of angle to direct the airflow towards the (louvered) front and rear register vents. I might slap on some shim-like stuff, underneath the noise absorption pad, to help direct the flow a bit. I guess that this improvement will more than make-up for the slight decrease in diameter which the noise-absorption sheet material will create.

For the horizontal plate (not the veritical tube), I might use two layers of the VB-2 "thin" stuff, at least for the center area (directly beneath the vertical output tube, more or less). I'll post my results after the "upgrade".
Old 08-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #10
KSBASS

Default Added More Dampening Material

Rick

The 1" thickness worked for me. The actual material I used is 1/4" F-13 felt from Mcmaster-Carr (P/N 8758K312). It's closer to 5/16" thick. I found by layering it up to ~1" thick I got the best sound reduction. See Pic. (I didn't realize it would still be available as the piece I used I've had for over 10 years. I've had good luck with Parts Express materials lately with speaker building and saw the adhesive backed product as a quick, readily available solution. Turns out Mcmaster.com still has the F-13 felt and it's only $15.90 for a 1' x 6' piece. I would recommend it instead.) I see restricting the airflow somewhat as a good thing and part of the solution as my unit had the compressor growling noise as well as significant air flow noise. We had the same idea with adding more material along the output "plenum". Here's what I did. See pic. This is the same 1/4" F-13 felt. I cut a paper pattern to fit along the top of fan outlet area. Then cut the felt and glued in with 3-M super 77 spray adhesive (applied glue to back of felt outside the TM). This gave me another dB or so of sound reduction. So now I'm measuring (with a Radio Shack SPL meter, C-weighted, slow response) 73dB at the table, 66dB on my pillow in back bed and 77dB at ear height at the sink in low cool mode. These are all 4-5 dB less than before modding. Definitely an improvement. Let us know what you end up with.

P.S. Don't try the Carbo-stat (P/N AC-337) air conditioner filter cloth/media from Home Depot. It's claim to fame is the thin layer of carbon impregnated cloth laminated to the electrostatic media. It's thin! 1/16", filtered extremely well but reduced the air flow too much and caused a very annoying whistle.

Troy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Outlet.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	2186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Added Damping Material.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	2187