TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #1
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

Default 8/21/2017 - The Great American Eclipse

http://www.greatamericaneclipse.com

I'm planning on a vacation that culminates with a viewing of the eclipse. The time to plan is now. Anyone else planning a trip and want to compare notes?

2720SL The "Inator"
Tanium 600lb WDH, Atwood power Jack, 2 inch lift kit, 15 inch tires, 200W Solar, T105 Pair, Yamaha EF1000i w/ propane conversion, Tuson TSC electronic sway control, Trojan Hydrolink battery watering system

2005 Ford Expedition
Factory tow Package, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Grand Aero Tow mirrors

TRailer Valet XL
Mr_funnypuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:56 PM   #2
klpauba

I've already told my family that we're taking our TM out for the eclipse (it's on my bucket list). I was thinking of traveling the 40 miles to Lincoln but the time of totality is a minute and a half. I can travel two hours to falls city (maybe stay at Big Lake State Park in Missouri) and have a whole minute more!!!
TM: 2005 2720SL -- lift kit, 15" Maxxis, LEDs, Husky ejack, GenPro soft start, 2300W gen, "H-Bridge", 1.44 cf Edgestar frig/freezer, 2xGC2, 1KW Inverter w/auto xfer switch, Trimetric Batt Monitor, 300W Solar (1 glass & 2 flex panels), EP Solar MPPT, Thetford Curve
TV: 2021 F-150 PowerBoost XLT Hybrid -- 7.2 kW Onboard Generator Option
Previous TV: 2012 Traverse -- "Stockton" 24V Boost Device

Map of where we've camped in our TM:
http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/IAMNMONEsm.jpg
klpauba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #3
Shane826
TrailManor Master

That would be an AMAZING trip. But did I miss on that link where the path of totality lies? I'm in Rochester, NY so I figure I have to go quite a ways to see this...
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:50 AM   #4
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Good idea. I would be in the Oregon part of the path, probably in high desert.

I am going to try to see the SpaceX launch at Vandenberg next month. September 19, 9 PM. SpaceX often slips dates and scrubs launches, so it's chancy.

I have a 1 in 4 record of seeing launches so far. The last, daytime one at Vandenberg was so foggy I only heard it, 4.1 miles from the pad. One at Vandenberg and one at Canaveral scrubbed. I saw the one at Canaveral launch the next day. And I got a 1 second peek of a Vandenberg launch from LA once.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:30 AM   #5
klpauba

A Space-X launch is worthy of adding to my bucket list. Watching the "heavy" reaching for the sky would be especially gratifying.

I had the chance to scratch off a shuttle launch from my list in the early '90s. My brother in law was a col. in the air force and was one of the guys to say "go" for launch since he was in charge of the weather for launch. He was able to get me and my wonderful father-in-law (rest his soul) into the press area for the launch of STS-76. Couldn't believe how much the earth rumbled and the crackling sound of those boosters!
TM: 2005 2720SL -- lift kit, 15" Maxxis, LEDs, Husky ejack, GenPro soft start, 2300W gen, "H-Bridge", 1.44 cf Edgestar frig/freezer, 2xGC2, 1KW Inverter w/auto xfer switch, Trimetric Batt Monitor, 300W Solar (1 glass & 2 flex panels), EP Solar MPPT, Thetford Curve
TV: 2021 F-150 PowerBoost XLT Hybrid -- 7.2 kW Onboard Generator Option
Previous TV: 2012 Traverse -- "Stockton" 24V Boost Device

Map of where we've camped in our TM:
http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/IAMNMONEsm.jpg
klpauba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:53 AM   #6
Shane826
TrailManor Master

My father and I always talked about getting to Cape Canaveral for a shuttle launch. We never got to see one before he passed in 2003. When they announced the shuttle program was ending I made it a priority to see a shuttle launch. I was in FL for 4 of the 7 final scheduled launches, and all were scrubbed until after we left. Never did get to see one.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:58 AM   #7
Mr_funnypuns
Site Sponsor

I say a shuttle launch once about 30-something years ago. My parents took us on vacation to Orlando, to Disney. I happened to notice the news about a shuttle launch. I begged and pleaded and bargained and got my dad to drive us there. We saw the launch from a distance, but the sight of a 30-story flame behind the shuttle remains a favorite memory.

I need to take my family to s space X launch!

2720SL The "Inator"
Tanium 600lb WDH, Atwood power Jack, 2 inch lift kit, 15 inch tires, 200W Solar, T105 Pair, Yamaha EF1000i w/ propane conversion, Tuson TSC electronic sway control, Trojan Hydrolink battery watering system

2005 Ford Expedition
Factory tow Package, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Grand Aero Tow mirrors

TRailer Valet XL
Mr_funnypuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #8
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Great info, I hadn't heard about the 2017 eclipse until now. Appears we live right in the ~95% magnitude zone in GA, or I can go up to NC or TN to catch the totality.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:52 AM   #9
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Witnessed a shuttle launch in the late 80s and like others said the power and the sound just left me speechless with my jaw dragging the ground.

I also witnessed the Challenger explosion from 40 some odd miles away on the east side of Orlando. Was visiting the Martin-Marietta (Lockheed-Martin nowadays, I think) company that day and, needless to say, not much work got accomplished by anyone the rest of the afternoon.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:17 AM   #10
Skyjim73

Default Reserved a campsite in Alliance, NE last month for Eclipse Day!

Been looking forward to this for some time. Have some good friends who live in Colorado; she is my best astronomy buddy and he became a dear friend as well to my wife and I after they got together. Going to meet them there and have some other family coming as well. Will be out there with multiple solar telescopes.

The choice of Alliance was partly due to decent weather prospects, partly convenience for the Colorado contingent. Also good regional roads running roughly along the path of totality to facilitate rapid moves to avoid bad weather.

Had originally planned to go to the Jackson, WY, area (the eclipse centerline runs right over the north end of the Jackson Airport) thinking the combination of eclipse and the Tetons behind us would be spectacular - it may well be, but moderate chance of cloud buildup by late AM and roads running mostly the wrong way finally changed my mind. Eclipse chasing is always a crap shoot on the weather - if you really want to see the corona, you have to keep an eye on weather and be ready to MOVE if necessary.

Would be kind of cool if Alliance is clear that day, though - our spot is less than a mile from the centerline and we could observe from next to our Trail Manor!
3124KB delivered 5/2015 - early unit from Nebraska. TM installed Dometic compressor fridge, lower battery rails, 4AWG batt cable, and PD converter during build. Custom RV installed cassette toilet, two 260 AH 6V batts, 2 UniSolar 64 solar panels, Morningstar MPPT controller/meter.

Tow vehicle: 2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman CC 4x4 3.0 diesel.
Skyjim73 is offline   Reply With Quote