TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #11
rcase13

Thanks that means the 2619 would weigh about 200lbs less than that.

3095-200=2895+40 (propane)=2935 I do not plan on towing with water. No boondocking for us. Must have power for AC! I figure the additon of batteries would be offset by me not having the cabinets.

I weigh all our crap (chairs, grill, food, cooler, bedding and cloths) and it's about 300lbs. We tend to pack pretty light. That would put me at 3235. Does this sound about right? Is this what others with 2619s top out at?

Using the 13% tongue weight math from above puts the tongue weight at 420lbs. That is about 20lbs too much according to the Honda's manual with three people and their gear.

Is there such a thing as a WDH that will offset only 20lbs off that number? Or should I just shift stuff towards the back to offset that amount?

Thanks for all the replies this newbie really appreciates it.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #12
cochise

Your trailer is a single axle trailer, which means that there is way more weight on the tongue than the normal 10-15%. But consider this: On the rear left side of the trailer you should find a sticker that list among other things the following: GVWR and GAWR. The GVWR list the max allowable weight of the trailer and the GVWR list the max load on the axle. If GAWR is greater than your axle max capacity you loose.

And if you move stuff to the rear of the trailer you put more weight on the axle. Even with a WDH you'll likely have more weight on the rear of the TV than is allowable, plus it can seriously diminish the steering of the TV. And the dealer will probably tell you that you are ok. Texas RV told me that and the fact was that we were way over capacity, and lucky to make it 1000 miles back without incident. Remember that they make money selling these units. Once you are out the door they don't really care.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #13
rcase13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
Your trailer is a single axle trailer, which means that there is way more weight on the tongue than the normal 10-15%. But consider this: On the rear left side of the trailer you should find a sticker that list among other things the following: GVWR and GAWR. The GVWR list the max allowable weight of the trailer and the GVWR list the max load on the axle. If GAWR is greater than your axle max capacity you loose.

And if you move stuff to the rear of the trailer you put more weight on the axle. Even with a WDH you'll likely have more weight on the rear of the TV than is allowable, plus it can seriously diminish the steering of the TV. And the dealer will probably tell you that you are ok. Texas RV told me that and the fact was that we were way over capacity, and lucky to make it 1000 miles back without incident. Remember that they make money selling these units. Once you are out the door they don't really care.
Is there a thread where people have posted their real world 2619 weight numbers including tongue weights?
Old 05-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #14
Redhawk

I expect to have our 2619 out next week if you can weight that long. LOL..I'm funny.
I'll try and get some numbers then at a local scale. A WDH will be a must I would think.
I would be as concerned with the TV's GCWR too. That said, I understand where you're coming from. THe TM's are a lot of fun and can be addicting.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #15
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

The attached .pdf file is my accumulation of information posted by other TM owners about their real world loaded and unloaded TM weights compared to the factory advertised weights. Unfortunately, there is only one posting for a 2619 but maybe you can extrapolate from the other models listed.

Jerry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TM GTW3a.pdf (48.6 KB, 740 views)
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #16
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Hokie View Post
I weighed a fully loaded (including full hot/fresh water) 2720 and it came in at 3980. I failed to do a tongue weight measurement then. However, if you adjust my weight by the difference in dry weights listed on the TM website between a 2720 and a 2619 and figure I had about 40-50 pounds of stuff in the extra storage that you wouldn't have, it ought to give you a decent first approximation. My config included all optional cabinets, the awning, the air conditioner, 40-gal water tank, dual propane, and two 6V batteries. I also had things like folding lawn chairs and a pop-up shade thing in there. I weighed the extras like the chairs, pop-up, cabinets, etc so I could give you more data if you want it.
Interesting.

According to all the documentation I have read, a TM 2720 has an axle limit of 3,500 pounds. Either TM has upgraded the axle on newer models or you are overweight.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:46 PM   #17
robertkennel

My 2008 2720sl axle states 3500 max excluding rims. I don't understand then why does the sticker on the left side display GAWR 3640. The GVWR is 4217 even if you minus 500 pounds of tongue weight it seems the axle could be overloaded if you go to the GVWR. I hope someone can explain this to me. I'm sure there is an explanation. I'm hoping to weigh the trailer tomorrow.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #18
M&M Hokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
Interesting.

According to all the documentation I have read, a TM 2720 has an axle limit of 3,500 pounds. Either TM has upgraded the axle on newer models or you are overweight.
I was certainly close to it on that particular day back in August but I didn't weigh axle and tongue separately to see how the load was distributed.

The GVWR for my TM is 4166 lbs and the GAWR is 3640 lbs.

Now that I have a new TV, I am going to load both the TV and TM up and go do a nice axle-by-axle science project over at the base scale. I would like to compare things with the WDH at various levels of loading. (It is nice to have access to a free scale) I may opt to eliminate the WDH altogether.

I am thinking that the following weighings would capture a lot of meaningful data.

TV Only: Front Axle, Rear Axle
TV+TM with No Tension on WDH: Front Axle, Rear Axle, TM Axle
TV+TM with 2 loose links on WDH: Front Axle, Rear Axle, TM Axle
TV+TM with 4 loose links on WDH: Front Axle, Rear Axle, TM Axle

For each configuration I will also measure the fender heights on the TV to capture how it sags under the various load configurations.

Any further suggestions on how I could tweak the the experiment to maximize information return?
Old 05-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #19
robertkennel

It will be interesting to see how much weight the WDH adds to the front axle and to the trailer axle and removes from the rear axle, thanks in advance for doing the test. Robert
Old 05-07-2010, 11:57 PM   #20
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

TM (with the blessing of Dexter Axle) has changed the way it calculates the Gross Axle Weight Ratings (GAWR). It is now 3,500# plus the weight of tires, rims & drums (items that are not carried by the axle). The axle is still limited to carry only 3,500#, but when you weigh the TM, the scale sees the TM on top of the axle plus the left and right side tires, rims & drums that carry the axle. This total of both values is 3,640# (3,500# + 70# + 70#).

If you weigh the TM with the axle only on the scale (with the hitch load not on the scale) and you see more than 3,640#, you are overweight on the axle. The scale reading will also include any weight transferred to the TM axle by the WDH if it is active.

In the case of the TM 3326K it is still 3,640# per axle or 7,280# with both axles on the scale. That, however would exceed the TM 3326 GVWR of 5,070#.

Jerry
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote