TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #1
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

Default Utah Parks

I recently got back from a 2 week camping trip in Utah. The longest camping trip I've taken with the TM and drove 2200 miles round trip. From the Moab area, we visited Arches and Canyonlands NPs and Dead Horse Point SP. Then, the second week, I moved down to SW Utah and camped at Kodachrome SP and visited Bryce and Zion NPs. All of these parks were beautiful and all had something different about them. My favorite is Kodachrome SP. If I ever take another trip to Utah, that park will be on my list again. The park is very well maintained, not very many sites, and the hiking trails were terrific.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kodachrome.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	556.3 KB
ID:	14158  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:35 PM   #2
Gwenne & Len

We will be going to Utah in the spring.....is Kodachrome a State Park? any hook ups? I'll google it, but we plan to spend probably 10 days exploring those parks.......we've been there, but too short a trip. My favorite was Zion.....thanks for this tip!
2012 Highlander
Leelanau County, Michigan
Gwenne & Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:20 PM   #3
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Yes, it is a State Park.

If you are going to also visit Bryce Canyon Nat'l Park, don't overlook going into some of the canyons from the east. Very good scenery along the trails available over there, and likely less people. Most folks will go in the main entrance, and stay on the main park roads, so the east trails should have less traffic.

Also, head north to Capitol Reef, around Fruita. Great scenery! We enjoy the area, and would like to go back sooner, rather than later.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:58 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

LTC -

I'm not sure how you get into Bryce, or any of the canyons, from the east. We've been there three times, I think, and would surely like to find something with fewer people next time. You are right - the main road can get impossibly crowded (the big hint is to drive straight to the end, and then make your stops as you are driving back out). There is some good hiking from the parking lot at the far end, as I recall.

Help me out here.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:11 AM   #5
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

Yep, Kodachrome is a State Park and has full hookups on some sites. I really loved staying at this park since I camp with two dogs and the hiking trails were great to take to dogs on. It's pretty quiet, not many people and very well maintained. There is no cell service or wifi there, so be prepared for that. From Kodachrome, you can drive about 20 miles to Bryce NP and part of that drive is Scenic Byway 12 which is beautiful. Also, there's a little town of Tropic on the way with a nice little coffeshop that has wifi.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:35 AM   #6
Gwenne & Len

I'm appreciating all of these ideas.....copying everything for my travel folder! thanx!!
2012 Highlander
Leelanau County, Michigan
Gwenne & Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:49 AM   #7
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Bill, I go into GoogleEarth, and turn on the Photos layer. I then look for photos, then see how people got to where the photos are shown as being taken.

Heading west out of Tropic, there appears to be a County Road which extends to the east edge of Bryce Canyon NP. There is a trail that heads into the Park from the end of the road.

Also, along the highway headed from Henrieville to BCNP, there is a parking area by a canyon, which is part of BCNP.

Further south, between Kodachrome and Cannonville, there is a dirt road that winds its way southwest. There are slot canyons with photos, and those look very interesting.

I love GoogleEarth, and all of its parts (Photos, Campsites, National Forests, National Parks, etc)!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:01 AM   #8
inghamm
Site Sponsor

Default Utah here we come

We're leaving Sunday for a trip that includes quite a bit of time in Utah, so we are also appreciating your post.

TM: 2007 2720 (QB) TV: 2010 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Hopkins INSIGHT brake controller, Andersen No-Sway WDH
CARCHET Solar Powered TMPS
Dometic CRX-1110 AC/DC Compressor Fridge, 200 W Solar
inghamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:23 AM   #9
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

The first trip with our TM was to Utah. We spent a week in each NP. Fell in love with the area and have been back two more times revisiting parks and exploring. The last trip we were lucky enough to get a permit to The Wave. This is an amazing area like nothing you will find elsewhere…go if you can. All the parks are spectacular. It is difficult to choose a favorite. If you use the link in my signature to my flickr account you can see pretty fair pictures of what you might expect to see. The one you see here is our campsite in Canyonlands south needles

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:03 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
Bill, I go into GoogleEarth, and turn on the Photos layer. I then look for photos, then see how people got to where the photos are shown as being taken....
LTC, many thanks! This is all good info that I hadn't found. Next time, we start by going to Google Earth!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote