TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-30-2010, 07:39 AM   #1
b&pcamping

Default door jam spring clip

Hello all,
The spring clip that the door pin presses into on my lower door was spread open to the point where the fit was very loose. I unscrewed the spring clip and pressed the clip back to it's original shape which did the trick to secure the door snugly. I thought all was fixed, and closed up the trailer. I opened our trailer a few days later, and the clip was spread apart again. Any thoughts as to what may be going on? Might I need a new clip? Your thoughts and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce
Old 05-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Sounds like something might be catching on it when you fold down. They are not hard or expensive to replace if you go that route, although it is a little awkward to reach the screws.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
b&pcamping

Thank you Bill for the reply. I think replacing the clips on both sides is the way I'll go. Not sure what the clip could be catching on as they seem to be pretty much out of the way of everything. Perhaps it sprung open again simply by pulling the door out of the clip, and I didn't notice. You're right about the screws being awkward getting to.
Thanks again,
Bruce
Old 05-31-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Bluegrass

I had the same problem. Haven't gotten around to replacing it yet but maybe first I'll take it off and squeeze it back into shape and see how that works.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:31 AM   #5
Shandysplace

Default Our Door Clip Story

Our door clip spread apart as well (left side only-right always ok) and we replaced it; but exercise care screwing it back in. Not being handy we didn't know how to use toothpicks/glue to fill the holes prior to replacing the screws.

Eventually they all worked loose and we had Custom RV, Anaheim rebuild that area of the door where the screws hold the clip. They inserted a metal plate to hold the screws and now the clip is very solid.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
b&pcamping

Smile spring clips

Thank you Shandysplace,
I spoke with Matt at Cutome RV this afternoon and he's going to send me a set of clips. I'm going to replace both sides. As for Custome RV, they're GREAT! They're going to send the clips and enclose the bill. Yes the cost is small, but the gesture is HUGE!

Thanks,
Bruce
Old 06-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #7
Shandysplace

Default Custom RV

Yes, Custom RV is unique. Unlike most dealers (RV or otherwise), Custom RV is "customer service" driven and not "sales" driven. Because of their outstanding level of customer service, they're #2 in the country in TM sales. Is was our pleasure recently to spend a day with them at the Pleasanton, CA RV show. We were there together w/two other couples who own TMs. Watching first hand Custom RV's 'customer service' approach was an education. Unfortunate that so many in the business just can't seem to grasp the concept.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
Bluegrass

I ordered a set yesterday from Joe at the TM factory. Any secrets to getting the old ones off? There's not enough room for a standard screwdriver, even a short one.

I have a small "S" shaped screwdriver that I'm going to try to get into the small space between the front shell and the trailer wall. Hope it fits!

Keith
Old 06-04-2010, 04:37 AM   #9
ib4classics

Default Handy screwdriver

There is a ratchet style sideways screwdriver that has straight blade on one side and phillips on the other with a small lever to direct the ratchet turn.
The whole thing is about as long as your index finger and nearly flat.
They are fairly common, big box or Sears should have them.
I've had mine for over 20 years, only need it on occasion but invaluable when I do.
John