TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-28-2002, 02:52 PM   #1

Default Rub / Trim strip below front window

I pulled my trailer out of the garage last weekend to clean up for a trip to Vegas.    The rubber trim strip below the front window of our 2720 was half fallen.   I lifted the front window cover and the strip fell completely off within an hour.

The strip appears to be attached with a very thin double sided tape, about 3/4" wide.   After some hot water and some pushing with our thumbs to remove the old tape from the fallen rub strip, we removed all the old tape.

Our local Home Depot doesn't sell anything like this.   I've considered using a sealing caulk but given the mess and the 8 foot long strip to handle, I'm not too keen on this approach unless that's the only choice.

Has anyone had to reattach this strip?   How did you do it and how is your work holding up to the weather and wind (this is on the front end of the trailer when towing)?

Jon
Old 01-28-2002, 11:57 PM   #2
arknoah

Default Re: Rub / Trim strip below front window

I don't have any answers for you Jon, thought I am a bit concerned that such a new model as yours would have this kind of problem so soon.  This is probably a good reminder to all of us to take out our trailers a couple of weeks before our first spring trips to make sure everything is A-OK.

Please keep us informed if you find the right product to do the job.

F. J. & Ellen
Old 01-29-2002, 04:53 AM   #3

Jon,

I have a 1998 2720sl and there is no 8ft rub strip on the front of the trailer.  It does have two rub strips approximately 2.5 ft long on either side of the recessed opening for the propane tanks to fit into when the trailer is setup.  I don't know what adhesive is used to affix the them, but each one has three phillips wood screws equally spaced along it's length about 1/2 inch below the upper edge of the rubber rub strip.  

Also, last year, I noticed that newer TM models than mine had rub strips along the lower portion of the intermost articulating shell.  I had some paint wear in that area, so I called TM and ordered some rub strip material.  I asked Jimmy what to use to affix the rub strips to the trailer and he suggested silicone caulking.  It has worked well for me, but there isn't as much air resistance to the rub strips on the side of the trailer as on the front.  Perhaps a call to the factory is in order, but I would be tempted to use silicone adhesive with several wood screws along the rub strip for added protection.

Happy Trails...........George
Old 01-29-2002, 02:21 PM   #4

Hmmm... Let me try describing this part again -- it seems like a general design element of the TM, I would think most of these trailers have this strip, on the outside of the roof shell right below the front (tongue) window.

At the front of the trailer, on the raised shell, is a trim strip, probably metal, about 4"-5" wide, which I suspect is placed to protect the trailer shell material underneath from debris thrown from your tow vehicle when the trailer is collapsed.  With the rub strip gone, I can see the metal trim is applied on top of the shell, so there is a very slight (say .1&quot lip.

The rub strip is about 1" wide, and it covers this seam at the top of the metal panel.  On my 2720, the strip is one piece extending from one side of the trailer to the other.

My guess is the TM factory adds this metal strip, then applies a similarly thick piece of double sided foam tape on the shell material at the top edge of the metal strip.   The 1" rub strip goes on the foam tape.

I think I'll try the silicone caulk on Friday morning before I finish loading the camper for the trip.

BTW, everything else seems just fine after the few months stored!

Jon
Old 01-29-2002, 11:48 PM   #5
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

Jon,

You may want to call Michael Hulsey at the factory. He is responsible for QA. I'm sure he can provide you with a recommended fix or affirm your fix. Also, if you make TM aware of the problem, they can determine if a design change is required. I have spoken with Michael in the past and he is very helpful.

Keep us posted on how you make out.
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 02:46 PM   #6

Thanks, Rick, for your suggestion.   I've decided to leave the strip off for this trip since the weather is rather cold and the strip is somewhat stiff at the moment.

I'll call the TM factory when I return, and let you know what they say.

Jon
Old 04-03-2002, 03:07 PM   #7

Just posting a follow up to this topic.   I still haven't called the TM factory about the rub strip.   I'm making a list of a few of the things I can't fix on my own before I call.

But as for the trim strip.  I put it on top of the trailer in the garage so it would flatten out, expecting this would make the installation look neater.   I'm embarrased to say I forgot to take it [i]off[i/] the trailer roof before heading out on a trip!   -- !!

There hasn't been any harm to the trailer since then, but I'll have to buy a new rub strip.