TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
Mccooleys

Default New owners of a 2004 2720SD

After months of research, mostly on this wonderful site, we have purchased a 2004 2720SD. I am getting close to retirement and wanted something nicer than the p/u that we now have. I think that we received a pretty good deal. We paid $10,500 for it, NADA says it's worth about $13,000 for one in average condition, which it is. I saw no glaring defects after inspecting it.

I would like some advice on getting it home. It's about 300 miles away. It has the original tires and brakes. The tires looked good, lots of tread, didn't see any weathering or cracks in them. I've asked the dealer to pull the unit and make sure that the brakes work, adjust them if necessary, lubricate the wheel bearings, and properly inflate the tires before I pick it up.

I have a 2008 Sivlerado 5.3L with a trailering package to pull it with. I plan on getting a Prodigy brake controller, although the instructions look intimidating. Maybe this should be a dealer installation?

Thank you for this wonderful site and for any advice that you choose to give.

Bob & Sarah
2004 2720SD
2008 Silverado 5.3L
Old 10-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
larsdennert

The prodigy gives good feedback on whether it is connected properly. There are only four wires and they should be easy to match if you have the truck's output at the dash. However, you do want it done correctly. Towing 300 miles without trailer brakes will be nerve wracking at best even with your big tow vehicle.
Congrats on the good buy. We have a 2003 2720 and love it.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccooleys View Post
I have a 2008 Sivlerado 5.3L with a trailering package to pull it with. I plan on getting a Prodigy brake controller, although the instructions look intimidating. Maybe this should be a dealer installation?
Quoting from the Prodigy installation guide:
"If your vehicle came with a factory tow package that included a 7-way connector, you can purchase a Tekonsha OEM wiring harness with the Prodigy connector on one end and your specific vehicle's connector on the other."
If you have a Chevrolet with a factory trailering package, the Prodigy installation is simply mounting the unit and plugging in 2 connectors.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Alrhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccooleys View Post
It has the original tires and brakes. The tires looked good, lots of tread, didn't see any weathering or cracks in them.
Depending on storage conditions your tires could be due for replacement. For sure check the valve stems for cracks. Bend them back and try to break them. Also check the spare. If any stem is questionable change all three. I only changed the one on the spare of my 2004 TM. Then I had 2 blowouts. Bad stems? From now on I will use Steel stems.

Good Luck
Old 10-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
PopBeavers

When my Goodyear Marathons were 4 eyars old, but only 3 years of use, one tire blew.

If the tires are mote than 3 years old, I would probably replace them. Tires are not that expensive. The date of tire manufacture is coded on the sidewall.

A few years ago my truck died , and I used my father in laws 1989 Suburban to tow the TM home, about 50 miles of freeway. I left lots of room because I had no trailer brakes. I was fine. I would do it again for a modest distance. If the 300 miles is relatively flat and light traffic I would not be concerned with driving with no trailer brakes with a BIG truck or SUV.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
Mccooleys

Default New Owners of a 2004 2720SD

Thank you all for your suggestions. We pick our TM tomorrow. I did in fact install the Prodigy brake controller with the help of Jon Johnston, a member of this forum. We purchased three Kumho 857 tires and steel valve stems. I plan on having the tires and valve stems changed out before I head for home. We bought McKesh mirrors which we installed and removed. The dealer is checking and adjusting the brakes. They are also repacking the wheel bearings and replacing the grease seals.

I have some angst about towing something that large....wish me luck.

Bob & Sarah new_newbi
2004 2720SD
2008 Silverado 5.3L
Prodigy brake controller
McKesh mirrors
Old 11-02-2008, 06:06 PM   #7
MariaG

Make sure you get those new tires balanced! I had a lot of trepidation about towing, too, had never towed anything before, but the TM tows so smoothly, it's like there's nothing back there. My sister, who has clocked many miles towing several different campers over the years including a 23 foot travel trailer and a 25 foot 5th wheel, was amazed at how easy my TM is to tow.
See my TrailManor Repair blog at:
http://trailmanorrepair.blogspot.com/
MariaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #8
Rodlin

Default Where did you find your Kuhmo 857s

I have been looking for replacement 14 inch Kuhmo tires, and find very few dealers. Can I ask where you purchased your tires (size, phone number etc)? My hope is there is a dealer somewhere who has 205 sizes available.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
Mccooleys

Default Kumho 857 Tires

I found them at Tirerack.com. I bought the 195/R14 size. It appears that the 205/R14 are on back order. Just search for them by brand. Hope this helps.

Bob & Sarah
2004 2720SD
2008 Siverado 5.3L
Prodigy Brake Controller
McKesh Mirrors: