TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-24-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
fourteener

Default Lighting Norcold Refrigerator

Hey Refrigerator Experts!

Here's a bit of background - Since the attempt for a quick clean of the burner area (See Post #12) http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...t=15313&page=2
I thought I had it fixed, but I continue to have problems lighting my Norcold Refrigerator (yes, on propane). There is no consistency to my problem. Sometimes it lights in the first 2-3 minutes (not the norm), and most of the time it takes me over an hour to get it to light.

After reading Bill's past post (SEE Post #8) http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...t=refrigerator
and latest post that included a trouble shooting guide (SEE link to pdf) http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=17615
I thought I would attempt to fix it yet again. First - I pulled out the fridge and tightened every wire connector by slightly pinching them with needle-nose pliers and re-connecting each one. Secondly - I totally disassembled the burner box (thermocouple, burner & orifice assembly, & piezo ignitor) to give them all a good cleaning with alcohol and compressed air. This all took over 1/2 a day, when I should have been camping,,,,ARG!

Bad News - I haven't gained any ease of lighting the refrig.

I've tried the gas dial on every setting, and I've even tried manually lighting it. I can get it to ignite, but it usually abruptly goes 'whewwp' and blows itself out. To me it seems like it is not getting enough gas to the burner.

Other Important Background - I've checked the piezo lighter and it is sparking, and is set 3/16" from the burner. I can see it arcing even in daylight. Once I am able to get it to light, the needle moves into the green and stays lit, in fact, once it is lit I haven't had any trouble keeping it lit. Thus, I'm a believer that I have a completely different issue here than most. I've also noticed that once it is lit, the flame is very small (at setting 5 maybe 3/8" at best, and at setting 1 it is very limited and almost hard to see). Other weird aspect, I haven't taken any scientific readings of the cold box, but it works really well. Again different than what I'm usually hearing on the forum from others with refrigerator problems. At setting 3, we can make ice in the ice box in less than 24-hrs even at high altitude (Leadville, CO over 10,000 ft.).

My thoughts, even though I may not be right, is burner possibly not getting enough gas?

I'm dissatisfied wasting 45-70 min of every camping trip attempting to light my refrigerator, and will take any advice that any of you may have.

Thanks Again Oh Wise Ones
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Upgrades - Lift Kit with 15" Tires/Rims/Spare & Rack,
Mud Flaps, Blue Tote Caddy, WDH Bar Holders,
Custom Outside/Chassis-mounted Tool Box,
Stove Cover, Bathroom Tension Self,
Outside Speakers, Fresh H2O Deck Plate,
100 Watt Portable Solar Panel, Shower Mod,
Over-wall TV mount - - (The fun never ends :-)
fourteener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:25 PM   #2
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

It does sound like it's a gas suppy issue. Not sure this is the issue, but I would check the furance supply propane pressure?

Maybe have an RV shop look at it?
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default frig blowing itself out

I too have had the frig blow itself out when trying to light it manually. I think that too much propane accumulates in the box during unsuccessful attempts at lighting, and that results in a small explosion. I have trouble lighting it through the small door hole because I cannot see the burner. I take out the one screw that secures the box, slide the box back, light my lighter and put it near the burner, then ask my wife to hold in the red button with the dial on 5. This seems to preclude the small explosion. After the red line moves into the green, I slide the box back and put in the screw. This works for me and is easier than pushing the igniter button countless times.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:43 PM   #4
Gapopper

I had a lighting problem on a furnace. I cleaned it out very good and still had problems. My stove would light with no problems. I replaced the propane regulator and this cured my lighting problem. The regulator is a good easy cheap place to start when you have problems lighting a pilot light.
Gapopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:27 PM   #5
BradS7535

How firm should the safety valve button be? Our fridge wouldn't light on propane on our most recent trip. I just checked the wires on the back of the selector switch and they were all tight. I can grab the red button and pull it out a bit and then when I push it in it kind of slips in a bit and then I can actually push it where it springs back. The"spring back" of the button is only about 1/4". How can i verify that the button is working and allowing propane to flow?
Old 10-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #6
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS7535 View Post
How can i verify that the button is working and allowing propane to flow?
You could try lighting it manually as described in post #3 above. If you can light the burner, then the button is allowing propane to flow.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:04 PM   #7
Logman

Default Norcold issues

I struggled w my Norcold, similar to your struggles. I eventually replaced the burner and orifice and have not had a problem since.
2007 Chevy Silverado/w cap
Logman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:44 PM   #8
Matt and Kerry
Site Sponsor

Default Norcold issures

I had a similar problem 2 summers ago. Replaced the burner and orifice and the fridge has worked perfect since.

2009 Trailmanor 2720
2004 Nissan Titan
Matt and Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:09 PM   #9
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Had the camper out this weekend. Paying attention how I light the fridge.

After holding the gas button for a few minutes, I double click the sparker about 1 second between clicks. The first click if there is gas at the burner will puff out the flame because there is to much gas. The second will light the burner. If it does not light, I hold the gas button in for a while longer and try again.

This is how I have been lighting camper fridges for many years.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:30 AM   #10
fourteener

Logman or Matt,
Can one of you post where you got the replacement burner/orifice?
Thanks,
Mitch
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Upgrades - Lift Kit with 15" Tires/Rims/Spare & Rack,
Mud Flaps, Blue Tote Caddy, WDH Bar Holders,
Custom Outside/Chassis-mounted Tool Box,
Stove Cover, Bathroom Tension Self,
Outside Speakers, Fresh H2O Deck Plate,
100 Watt Portable Solar Panel, Shower Mod,
Over-wall TV mount - - (The fun never ends :-)
fourteener is offline   Reply With Quote