TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Default Campers (aka Caravans) in Australia

Just back from a month in Australia. For two weeks of this we were driving around camping in a rented small minivan conversion. It was interesting to see the campers (which they call caravans) at the campgrounds (which they call caravan parks).

We were on the relatively settled east coast so I only saw a few caravans designed for the Outback. These were high clearance, very rugged looking popup types.

On the east coast by far the most popular style is what looks like a regular travel trailer here except that it is only about 80% of the height. The roof cranks up and there is a fabric connection to make up the additional roof height. Frankly, I don't see the point of this, but well over half the caravans we saw were of this design. A couple of pictures are attached.

I did not see any tow vehicles as large as even an F-150 so as you can imagine these trailers are not too large. (Gas costs about twice what we pay) Most were in the 20 foot range. We saw only one or two fifth wheeler types, both pretty small.

Van conversions (called campervans) are very popular too. Most are small minivan types, often with raised roofs. There are some class c type motorhomes but I did not see a single large bus style one (there are not many freeway type roads except around the larger cities).

The caravan parks are excellent. Every one has a kitchen that includes fridges, boiling water maker, stoves, sometimes ovens. We only had to use the campervan stove when we camped in the national parks.

I'm ready to go back!

PS Jayco is huge there, making all styles including park models. I saw one old Coleman popup which also had an Aus. manufacturer name on it. Otherwise all I saw was Aus. manufactured models.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8963.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	6724   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8964.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	6725  
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
happybeebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbmiller3 View Post
Just back from a month in Australia. For two weeks of this we were driving around camping in a rented small minivan conversion. It was interesting to see the campers (which they call caravans) at the campgrounds (which they call caravan parks).

We were on the relatively settled east coast so I only saw a few caravans designed for the Outback. These were high clearance, very rugged looking popup types.

On the east coast by far the most popular style is what looks like a regular travel trailer here except that it is only about 80% of the height. The roof cranks up and there is a fabric connection to make up the additional roof height. Frankly, I don't see the point of this, but well over half the caravans we saw were of this design. A couple of pictures are attached.

I did not see any tow vehicles as large as even an F-150 so as you can imagine these trailers are not too large. (Gas costs about twice what we pay) Most were in the 20 foot range. We saw only one or two fifth wheeler types, both pretty small.

Van conversions (called campervans) are very popular too. Most are small minivan types, often with raised roofs. There are some class c type motorhomes but I did not see a single large bus style one (there are not many freeway type roads except around the larger cities).

The caravan parks are excellent. Every one has a kitchen that includes fridges, boiling water maker, stoves, sometimes ovens. We only had to use the campervan stove when we camped in the national parks.

I'm ready to go back!

PS Jayco is huge there, making all styles including park models. I saw one old Coleman popup which also had an Aus. manufacturer name on it. Otherwise all I saw was Aus. manufactured models.
Bill:
Certainly wish I could take a trip like that.Sounds like you had a great time.I was looking at your pictures and was wondering if as that older trailer shows the entry doors are mainly on the opposite side of the trailer than ours in the states.Can't tell if the tow vehicle shown has right or left side drive.Looks like the shore connections are also on that side which to me would be more of a trip hazard at night. Is the layout on the inside reversed from what we Have? Sorry,dumb questions from a local traveler.
Bob
Old 11-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Are they air conditioned?

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

You drive on the left in Australia so things are probably reversed, I honestly didn't notice. I only saw one unit with AC and it was a rental. I did not see any high amperage connections in any caravan park. They were all just set up for household type dropcords, not even as big a cable as the TM has. I did not see any way to plug in any 50 amp cable or equivalent. It's spring there and it was always cool at night where we were except in the extreme tropical north (15 degrees from the equator). No generators either. The caravan parks are incredibly quiet at night.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

About 10 years ago, we did a month-long self-guided trip in Australia. Started in Freemantle (west coast) and worked our way back to the east coast. One of the best parts of the trip was renting a mid-size motor home in Alice Springs, and then spending a week exploring the outback.

Yes, they drive on the left, so the steering wheel is on the right. Yes, I scared several people trying to go around a roundabout in the wrong direction.

As Bill in Houston has commented, campgrounds were rather simple affairs, but very pleasant. The motor home had a generator, and since we were there in the shoulder season, we cranked it up occasionally for cooling in the evening.

If you have a chance to go to Australia, there are an awful lot of "don't miss" places. If you are camping, be sure to stay a couple nights in Simpson's Gap.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbmiller3 View Post
I did not see any tow vehicles as large as even an F-150
On the other hand Australia gets all the small *diesel* pickups like the Ford Ranger, Toyota Hi-Lux, VW Amarok, and so on. These little trucks have lots of low end torque and can easily can tow a 6500# trailer. For some reason they are available just about everywhere but the US and Canada.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I *loved* the small Aussie trucks, particularly the Toyota Hilux (I have seen these before in the Netherlands Antilles). I also like the storage/transportation rigs they build into their truck beds. I, too, wish we could get these small diesels.