TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-09-2001, 12:35 PM   #1

Default Anode Rod

I recently winterized my TM 2619.  When I drained the Suburban brand water heater I found that the alumimum anode rod had deteriorated significantly.  It needs to be replaced before charging the heater next spring.  Does anyone know where I can obtain a replacement part?  My manual states that the rod should be replaced annually.  If you have replaced the rod in your TM and know of a general supplier, I would appreciate a response.  Thanks.  
Old 12-10-2001, 12:05 AM   #2

Default Re: Anode Rod

Try www.campingworld.com or your local RV supply store.  It's not an unusual item, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding one.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:14 AM   #3
hal

I am curious, just how many people had changed this rod?  Did they need to or was it merely a maintenance matter.  Do you get at it from outside or inside the trailer?

Hal
Old 12-10-2001, 01:07 AM   #4

Trainguy, thanks for the response.  I found the replacement aluminum anode rod for $7.99 at Camping World.  I just ordered two, so I will have a replacement.  The anode rod protects the water heater from corrosion by attracting corrosive elements in the water.  Apparently, they attack the anode rod rather than the interior of the heater.  According to the manufacturer of my heater (Suburban) they are to be checked every three months and replaced annually.  Thanks for the information.  I appreciate it.

Ed
Old 12-10-2001, 01:13 AM   #5

Hal

The anode rod is removed from the outside of the TM.  You remove the cover to the water heater and the rod is unscrewed from the bottom of the tank.  It primarily serves as the drain plug for the Suburban water heater.  An aluminum anode rod is built into the plug.  It is easy to get to for checking and replacement.  I think it took a regular 1 1/16 inch socket to remove.  You may want to check it if you have this type of water heater.

Ed
Old 12-11-2001, 02:27 AM   #6
arknoah

Our problem this year was that the rod wouldn't come out, and I didn't want to force it.  When I took the trailer to get it winterized, they had the right tool and socket to take it out easily.  We decided to get a new rod even though it wasn't completely done because of the low cost and to offer maximum protection next season in case we encounter really bad water in our travels that eats away at the rod.  It seems like a really small investment for that purpose.  

Thanks for the maintenance suggestion about every three months -- its good to have a standard to use.

F. J. & Ellen
Old 02-13-2002, 02:55 AM   #7

My Suburban Water Heater Instruction manual states: `Under normal use, the anode rod will deteriorate and because of this, we recommend it be replaced yearly.' For sake of discussion, I wonder what they mean by `normal use'?
After our first year, used a total of 20 days or so, I pulled the anode and showed it to our TM dealer. They said the rod can be used until there is little sacrificial metal remaining leaving only the `core' of the rod. Since ours has plenty of sacrificial metal I plan to keep using it even though I also bought a new one from Camping World.
Therefore, I suggest that changing the anode every year is one of the cheapest things you can do and it won't hurt anything but it may not be necessary if you only use the TM `periodically' like we do.

Dick_B
Old 04-14-2002, 11:04 PM   #8

Where can I see a picture of a 'good' and 'spent' rod?

When I tried to decipher my Suburban manual, I thought it was on the inside, under the sink.  Didn't realize the drain plug was also the rod.

Mine looked like just a drain plug.  (1995 3023).
Old 04-16-2002, 01:00 AM   #9
arknoah

Can't answer your question about a picture, Dan.  When I got my trailer winterized last year, the guy told me that I could choose to purchase either a new rod, or just get a drain plug -- my choice.  Since my rod had deteriorated quite a bit in only one year, I decided to opt for the new rod.  

I see the rod lots of times, since I tend to use the hot water heater on electric power rather than propane, and the only way to tuen that on is to open the outside door by the heater and flip the switch, which puts me inches away from the anode rod.
Old 04-21-2002, 03:44 AM   #10
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

I replaced my Anode three weeks ago after three seasons. There was a signicant amount of corrosion. Fortunately, I hadn't thrown it away yet. Tomorrow, I will get a friend with a digital camera to take a picture of it and post it here.

After looking at the extent of the corrosion, I'm going to replace it after two seasons.

Also, I stuck my finger in the drain hole after removing the anode and I could feel a lot of sandy grit on the bottom of the tank.  So, I hooked a garden hose to the city water input and turn on the water with the anode removed. This flushed a lot of the sediment from the tank.

I'm not sure if the sediment came from the campground water supplies or the corrosion of the anode or both. My hunch is both. ???
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote