TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-02-2019, 03:34 PM   #1
bitrootvz

Default mold?

We have had our 2001 3023 TM for 3 years now and Yesterday when I opened it up we had condensation and mold on the woodwork and the bunks. We spent 3 hours spraying with bleach and cleaner and to day have a professional cleaning service doing all the cloth and carpet. The issue I have is that some of the black spots seemed to have stained and the veneer is peeling from trying to clean it. Any one have any success getting rid of the spot? any advice it wasn't terribly all over just the front cabinet and around the bathroom where it was folded down. We stored it the same way last year and had no issues at all.
bitrootvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:25 PM   #2
Larryjb
TrailManor Master

I had this happen last year. The wood veneer is probably permanently damaged, unfortunately.

I discovered that, even though it did not seem to "leak", water was actually getting inside the trailer. It would enter from the vent, but travel between the aluminum skin and Styrofoam layer. Then it would drain down the side, again between the aluminum and Styrofoam. This is why you never see the leak. In my case, it was bad enough to soak and rot the wood panel by the kitchen, so I was forced to replace that. (see my thread on that).

To prevent this in the future, you have to remove the inside vent cover and check for moisture during the rain. If you do find moisture, I firmly believe the best way to reseal the vent is to actually remove the vent, clean the caulk, and place a new continuous bead of sealant all around the opening. If you have screws from the top, remove every screw, squeeze a blob of sealant into each hole, then reinsert the screw. Don't trust just placing sealant over top of the screws and joints. One missed spot and it will leak like crazy.

Also, please avoid silicone sealants. Get the RV stuff. It's easier to clean off for next time. Nothing else will stick to silicone which can make resealing in the future tough.

That has been my experience anyway.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote