TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2002, 08:23 AM   #1

Default Hard Bed

Just picked up a 2002 2720SL and the bed seems hard. My wife wants to put an "egg carton" cover on it and while the weight would be negligible, I am curious as to how much covering can be on the bed (sheets, pillows, blanket or quilt and egg carton or other cushion) and still close the unit down.

Dave Hill
Greensboro NC
Old 07-28-2002, 09:41 AM   #2
Gene

Default Re: Hard Bed

We have the egg carton foam covering our TM bed. We keep all bedding on except we remove the pillows. The egg carton covering really makes a difference. No problem folding down the trailer.
Old 07-28-2002, 11:17 AM   #3
dennisu

i agree with the above comment.  we also have the egg carton foam. while it makes it a little more difficult to close i have seen no other problems.  the bed now sleeps great.  it really made a great difference.  when the trailer goes in for storage we take it off so as not to keep the tension on during longer periods, but otherwise we leave it and all the other bedding on with the exception of the pillows when folded down.    

dennis
Old 07-28-2002, 12:07 PM   #4
oilspot

I too use an egg crate matress pad on our bed.  

If your worried about how much room you have for matress improvements, you can do what I did....

Close the rear, push in your front slide, and then step under the front half.  From that vantage point, you should be able to determine how much room you have for "extras".  Be sure to allow for lights, and other roof stuff.
Old 07-28-2002, 12:37 PM   #5
Happytrails

Egg carton foam here as well.......picked it up pretty cheap in just the right size at Wallmart. I believe in an old thread here somewhere, someone mentioned that using a comforter made it too difficult to close, but sheets and light bedspread were just fine.......(I've not closed mine with a comforter on it yet, so dunno first hand). But it closes just fine with just the sheets on it.

Happytrails.......
Old 08-01-2002, 02:10 AM   #6

We have the eggshell foam and a comforter on our King Bed, and the TM closes just fine (we only remove the pillows).  It does shut a little harder, but we always store the TM open, so the only time it is shut is during actual travel.  (Just got back from spending a week in the TM in Minnesota - The bed was very comfortable and even the wife "slept like a baby".
Old 08-01-2002, 04:15 PM   #7

I searched the *marts far and wide and none of them in my area carried the eggshell, so I broke down and bought a double-wide extra thick self inflating mattress over the web (ThermaRest brand).  Was expensive, but I could sleep all night without having arms and legs falling asleep.

We put it under the queen bed in our 2720 and deflated it (by lying on top of the mattress) before folding the trailer.  This worked fine.

Since then I realized I should have searched the local fabric stores, too, for the eggshell.   My preference would put it under the mattress.
Old 08-22-2002, 12:30 PM   #8

Since I found the mattress hard and DH didn't, I decided against getting the egg carton foam  pad.  I happened to already have a long "body pillow" that I put under my sleeping bag, and it has worked very well.  Just a little extra softness!

We never leave anything on the beds when we fold up.

Marcia
Old 08-27-2002, 02:16 AM   #9
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Can you get the "egg carton" pads at any Sporting goods store or are they available at discount houses?

Happy Campin' <><
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 08:58 AM   #10
DancinCampers

Got our egg carton pad at WallyWorld (Wal-Mart) for less than $15.00. I think K-Mart has them too.
Hope this helps.