TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2008, 08:59 AM   #1
13dano

Default Key Ch751 - common?

I'm not sure if this has been discussed or is even widely known. The key that opens the outside storage compartments and shower door locks on our TM is more than likely an industry-wide common key that can open the same compartment locks on many RV's. It is usually marked 'CH751'. Just curious how many owners have changed out the compartment locks with a less 'common' key.
DanO
Old 05-27-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
Dixielou

Our front door key is number 41146; our storage compartment key is Y11. You raised a good question. Lets hope all keys are very different.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
mtnguy

OK, you made me look. My key is labeled 751CH. But wouldn't that just be the type of key, and the keys be cut differently for the the individual locks??? Maybe some people from the upcoming west coast rally can see if their keys will work other TMs......with the other owners permission, of course.

Chap
Old 05-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
Joseph

Default 751

The 751 keys that I used on my old pop-up work just fine on the camper shell on the truck and the TM too! Guess mine are some sort of standard.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

When we went to pick up our TM from the dealer, they had lost all the keys. They gave us one of those generic keys for the rear hatch (I guess they kept a few on hand) but we had to get a new lockset for the door.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
BrigCA61

Default All Trailmanor door locks use the same key.

TM dealer told us all the door locks on the TM's are the same... one key opens them all. We had brought it in for service and asked if they wanted the key and they said "No, all the doors use the same key and we have it." Thankfully there aren't too many of them around. If you're concerned, I would change the locks. I don't know if that holds true for the storage compartment though.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #7
13dano

Yikes! It's worse than expected if all TM door keys are the same too. I'm not sure if any of this matters because truthfully my wife was able to get in the front of the TM between the sofa and front shell by lifting up the flap and crawling inside when I locked the door without checking to see if I had the key.
I will probably change the compartment and door locks though...I just wanted to make sure that everyone was aware about the commonality of the 751 keys.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
arniland

Default Common locks

A while ago I went to buy a new lock/latch for the storage box on the tongue of my car hauling trailer. The previous owner had lost the key and it was too expensive to have a locksmith make a new one from the lock. The owner of the RV Supply store I went to asked if I wanted to try keys from some of his replacement locks first. He claimed that there were only about 6 variations on the keys for these. I decided that I would just leave it open and not put anything of real value in it.

My point is that simply buying another set of lock assemblies for your storage compartments may not get you too much better security.

Arn

Arnold in Maryland
TVs - 2003 GMC Yukon XL 6L
TM - 2007 2720SL
arniland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:10 AM   #9
LittleRhodey

Default The same keys

Over ten years ago, I went on a cruise in Russia from Moscow to St. Petersburg on a riverboat. There were a couple of hundred passengers, the majority of them retired older ladies. They were buying lots of gifts and locking them in their cabins. When we boarded the purser had said that we could trust the workers on the ship; they wouldn't risk losing their jobs over a problem.

Anyway, about a week into the trip, I got sick. I attended a lecture in the morning with my mother and then returned to my cabin to sleep. I didn't leave again till the afternoon. And that is when we discovered that I had my parent's key, and they had mine. And they worked! So everyone on the ship had the same key to their cabin. They just didn't know it, and we left it that way. It would have ruined their trip to know that their rooms weren't really locked!

So now we all know and can deal with it as we please. My DH will probably want to have unique keys. We'll check with a locksmith.