TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #11
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Bottom line, like everything else you trade time for money. Best assume with any trailer old or new that you will spend a week "fettling".

Condition is everything.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:21 AM   #12
Robert's TM

[QUOTE=kevin425;126050]I have been been looking for a used trailmanor for t
I had never looked at a trailmanor with the level of detail I put into this one. I spent about an hour going over every inch of the rig. I was severerly disappointed in the overall quaility of the unit. Now, this was a 2013 model it out of the garage for me to look at, and it was pouring. (I live in the Seattle area.) A 2013, barely used trailer shouldn't be leaking already. I inspected the outside and there wasn't any damage to the vent. It was a poor caulking job that let to the leak.

Love my TM mine it is 12 yrs old.. Have had it for 3 yrs now.
Few things to fix here and there... But nothing major.
Love pulling this thing, after pulling a trailerable houseboat. This thing is a brease....

I too have a full size pickup and store it/use it on a campsite year round. Most of the time it is up... Do put it down if expecting heavy snow. Love the beds on each end.... lots of floorspace between.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:23 PM   #13
lmariko

Default Newer vs. Older when buying Used

As a potential buyer, (possibly, though not confirmed, of this particular 2013 2922KB), I'm conflicted about this post.
Based on some comments it seems that a little re-caulking, screw reinforcement and carefully placed materials to block drafts would fix most of the issues that were of concern. It has also been noted that no matter what RV you purchase, you will have issues. However, I'm also seeing encouragement to look at older TM models. As Kevin425 alluded, one would hope for fewer issues at only two years of light use. Are these smaller problems a sign of things to come for 2011 and newer models? Will a 2013 TM continue to "fall apart" and need to be fixed at a higher rate than older models? Being a newbie to TM and RVs in general we are concerned about the potential "money pit" we could be getting ourselves into. This is obviously going to be a sizable purchase for us. We can handle a loose screw here and there. A draft is going to be, I'm certain, no concern, coming from tent camping. :-) Leaks would be a pain, and potentially very damaging, but can be fixed if we're keeping an eye out for them and they are identified early enough. However, is quality a concern with the larger systems (fridge, furnace, water heater, etc.), overall construction and architectural integrity?

We have been looking at this one, which *could* be the same one that Kevin425 looked at - although this family's story is a little different: http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/rvs/5435769290.html

I welcome all feedback on your thoughts, in general, and about this particular TM.
Are there any TM experts in the Seattle area that any of you would recommend to hire to take a look at it with us?
Thank you!
Old 02-17-2016, 12:54 PM   #14
aslag54

I believe Auburn Kent Valley RV Center at one time was a Trailmanor dealer. Although I have no experience with them besides looking at a used TM they had in stock several years ago. I assume they still provide service and parts. They are located not too far from the 2922KB you linked. Their website states they provide pre-purchase inspections, perhaps they could help.
Custom RV (2400 mile round trip) where it sat 5 months waiting for parts
and repairs before I gave up and traded it in for a loss of close to $8K.
9,600 miles we traveled during the 11 months of ownership dealing exclusively
with repairs of this POS Trailmanor.
aslag54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #15
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Don't assume problems. Like anything else in your house, or car, etc. problems can arise over time, but don't always arise.

I have a 2009.5 2720SL. No leaks, although the condensation will come from the AC inside if I don't keep the filters clean. So, when I see a drip, I pull/clean the filters (30 seconds each!) and no more drip. No other leaks to date. Fridge works fine, as does pump, hot water heater, stove. I've had, I think 3 screws that needed tightening, and one trim strip that I've glued and hasn't been an issue since. Certainly, I've had far more issues with my house and TV than the TM.

It's always a roll of the dice as to whether you get a good unit or a potential lemon, but that's true of absolutely everything you purchase. I think some people have 'encouraged' looking at older units because they are, in general, well built, so the older unit will potentially be a better buy. That doesn't mean the new units are bad, it's just natural economics. Ultimately, you need to decide where your value is, and what you want to do--but I wouldn't read more into the discussion than what is really there.

There are some nice features of the newer models that I wouldn't mind on mine -- the raised kitchen sink, for one, is something I'd love, but can't have. On the other hand, I don't think they're using as low a profile AC on the newer models, so there's a tradeoff. Mine came stock with the front window and rock guard, not all the new ones do. Etc, etc, etc.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:20 PM   #16
lmariko

Thanks for the contact aslag54! They sound promising.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #17
lmariko

Sorry for two replies in a row. I hope my newbie status will give me a pass! :-)
ThePair - Thank you for your perspective. Good info to hear! And I agree about the sink!!! :-)
Old 02-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #18
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

I have only had this 2008 TM 2720SD since Dec. and only taken it out about 4 times, out of state twice with it. The things that seem to have been bad or needed repair was just maintenance issues or lack there of. Caulking roof vent, rubber bumper stops worn. Dirt and debri ...leaves etc.. in a/c unit blocking fan.
Loose water connection at bath faucet. Now I have downsized from a 1994 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE we bought NEW, and let me tell ya We went to Indiana a few times for repairs. Then went to a 2004 Fleetwood popup and it too had issues, and now to the Trailmanor. I dont think there is any RV out there that does not need work, new or used there will always be something.

I would buy another TM in a heartbeat when the need arises.

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:20 PM   #19
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Ours is a 2011 and gets used 6 to 8 months per year, usually leave Mar/Apr and get home Oct/Nov, so it gets well used. When we first bought it new in Texas there were a few quality issues like bad crimps or the wrong size lug for the wire. Those as I mentioned earlier are to be expected with any RV or TT. After 5 years of use I'm doing some hinge repair/replacement. A little cabinet molding repair and things along that line. Cabinets and appliances are out sourced by TM. Things like the Bag seal I have to replace are TM specific and no telling wither they make it or get it from some one else. The only two real disappointments were the tires, been sitting in a warehouse for two years before the TM was built, and the A/C which was a discontinued model.
The tires we got two years out of, they failed at 4 years 1 week old. The A/C failed right at the edge of warranty run out. We were traveling at the time and couldn't find an RV dealer who would touch it. As I mentioned earlier the TM has been good to us and some people will buy only used because the bugs have already been worked out.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:50 PM   #20
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

I bought my 2013 TM new and (knock on wood) I haven't had any real issues. I do have to be honest though and say that I've been kind of surprised at the quality of some things in the TM. This is my first travel trailer and my expectations were apparently too high regarding quality of materials and workmanship. There are obviously folks on this forum with a lot of experience in TTs and I would listen to them on what you should reasonably expect. I'm still learning a lot and have 4 camping trips already planned for this year that I'm looking forward to.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote