TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
Philip

Default Gas Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
A great story.

I am curious why you ran premium gas assuming it is not specified for your vehicle.
The Toyota Manual recommends Mid grade fuel but it is not all that clear since the manual also states octaine requirements as 91. The previous owner I purchased it from told me he always got better MPG with high test. I have also noticed it appears to get better MPG with high test.

In any event I decided to put high test in when traveling in the Rockies with steep grades for extended periods. I purchased the SUV from a one owner in immaculate condition and am trying to keep it that way.

Take care,

Phil Friess
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
PopBeavers

I have always recommended that when carrying bikes on the back of the TM that you secure them to the TM with a security cable for two reasons:

1. If you stop for a meal, the bikes are secured from casual theft.
2. In the event the bike rack fails, then the cable will just drag the bikes along with you, This will ruin the bikes, but it will also prevent complete separation, avoiding the damage caused by the guy behind you while driving over the bikes you have dropped.

Some people have posted to my suggestion that I was overly worrying about something that almost never will happen.

Thanks for admitting that it can happen.

My son had the same problem when he tried carrying 3 mountain bikes (50 pounds each) on the back of his Subaru WRX. He was using the adapter from a small sized hitch receiver to the larger sized bike rack, compounding the problem even further.

Great trip report.