TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
chanticleer

Red face Rear-view mirrors for Ford Explorer

Just took delivery of 2010 Elkmont and noticed that traffic visibility to the rear is insufficient for high level of safety when hooked up with my TV: 2006 Ford Explorer. By being observant and planning well ahead of time I had no issues getting it the 50 miles or so home...but that was on familiar territory. And backing up was a bit of a challenge as well. I know there's at least one other member with an Explorer here. Perhaps they or others could chime in with what they might reccomend. I certainly could use a solution, because there are times when I would be traveling and might REALLY need to see what is behind/alongside of me!

chanticleer
Old 12-28-2009, 06:23 AM   #2
Nature Recorder

I use something like this when towing my Elkmont. They can extend out pretty far. Are fairly quick to mount. easy to adjust and very flexible in setup. And I can use the regular mirrors to watch things like the trailer wheels and such.

http://www.cipamirrors.com/Deluxe-Do...ror_p_760.html
Old 12-28-2009, 07:06 AM   #3
mkayers

I use the McKesh mirrors on my Equinox & they worked great. Not the greatest looking things in the world but who cares. Actually after looking at his link I think those are the same as McKesh but I got mine from Hensley.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

In my opinion (and it's only mine), the CIPA-type mirrors are not a good solution, primarily because they don't spread wide enough. It is important (and a legal requirement) that the sight lines converge behind the TM. I laid out my thinking here, and I still believe in it.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3658

Having said that, though, several of our members use the CIPA mirrors - they are a bit less expensive than McKesh (about $100 a pair - do NOT pay more than $125 for them). If you use the search tool on the term "mckesh", you will find LOTS of other information, opinion, and experience.

By the way, Camping World offers a set of McKesh knock-offs. I haven't tried them, but others have done so.

Bill (2007 Explorer)
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
Larry Gault

Cipamirrors is the same one I have but I got them at JC Whitney for cheaper price & free shipping.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/TEMPORARY_D...;0;2008380;0;0
Old 12-28-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
chanticleer

Smile

Thanks to ALL for your replies! Having driven an 18-wheeler for a couple of years, my "situational awareness" is acute FWIW. I ordered a set of the "tow and go" mirror extenders from JC Whitney...(I'll admit to being thrifty at least on occasion). We'll see how it goes when I use them, but for now I feel somewhat comforted that at least a temporary solution is in play.

Good tip on your other thread, Bill re: taking the extenders off when not hooked up...it's common sense but a helpful reminder all the same.

chanticleer
Old 12-28-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
PopBeavers

fwiw, the only complaint that I had with the McKesh mirrors was when switching drivers. I found them to be difficult to adjust. If the tension screws are too loose, then they shift out of location in the wind. If too tight, then the mirrors break when trying to adjust them.

My solution was to replace the 1997 Dakota with a 2008 GMC Sierra. The 2002 Chevy Silverado now tows the ATV trailer and the GMC tows the TM. Towing the ATV trailer does not require extra mirrors on the Silverado.

And some people think an upgrade to McKesh is pricey. Shoulda seen the bill for the new GMC,
Old 12-29-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Bill posted
Quote:
In my opinion (and it's only mine), the CIPA-type mirrors are not a good solution, primarily because they don't spread wide enough.
and Larry Gault replied
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Gault View Post
Cipamirrors is the same one I have but I got them at JC Whitney for cheaper price & free shipping.
Larry -

I didn't realize that the CIPA company makes those McKesh-style mirrors. Usually the term CIPA refers to a mirror that straps directly onto the OEM mirror. These extension mirrors help to improve the sightline a bit, but usually not enough to make the sightlines converge. They generally look something like this.

http://www.cipamirrors.com/Clip-On_c_37.html or this
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...w-mirror/25855

So in saying "CIPA-type mirrors", my terminology was not proper. Thanks for bringing me up to speed.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Bill posted
and Larry Gault replied
Larry -

I didn't realize that the CIPA company makes those McKesh-style mirrors. Usually the term CIPA refers to a mirror that straps directly onto the OEM mirror. These extension mirrors help to improve the sightline a bit, but usually not enough to make the sightlines converge. They generally look something like this.

http://www.cipamirrors.com/Clip-On_c_37.html or this
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...w-mirror/25855

So in saying "CIPA-type mirrors", my terminology was not proper. Thanks for bringing me up to speed.

Bill
Wow!!!! Someone should sue that company for false advertising.......I have a pair of those clip on mirrors. They are OK for backing but all but useless on the highway. No way in heck this image portrays to capabilities of those mirrors. I don't care what they are mounted on....this image is a gross distortion of the truth. The mirror would have to be 2-3' out from the side of the TV to get a view like that:

Old 12-30-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
mtnguy

We use the custom slip on mirrors, similar to: http://www.truckspecialties.com/mirror_extensions.htm

Easy to install and adjust, they don't vibrate, and gives me a good view even with my 8' wide trailer. But just like the mirrors on those big trucks, you still cannot see a vehicle close behind the trailer.

I gotta fold at least 1 mirror in before going into my 9' garage door.