TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Boondocking and Dry Camping
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-02-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
SSRLVA

Default Boondocking: How to guide?

Anyone have a how to guide for boondocking?

Boondocking camping is difficult for me to understand. Does this mean you are way out in the woods with no one around and just open the TM and have some fun? My concern would be: How do you know it's private property? How do you know camping is authorized if it isn't private property? What is the fine/punishment if the police/game warden happens across where your position out in the sticks?

I guess what I am asking is: How do you find a "place" to go rough it totally off the grid and away from every other living soul?
Old 05-02-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
SSRLVA

AAH! That makes more sense. I coudn't envision randomly turning down a dirt road and throwing open the TM and starting a fire.... While it SOUNDS like fun, I can't imagine any spots where you could actually do that ...
Old 05-02-2007, 03:58 PM   #3
kempert
Site Sponsor

SSRLVA -

There are such places! I was a campgound host for the USFS in the Bridger-Teton NF last summer and most nights I was the only person in the campground. However, there were probably at least 10 people camped within 1/8 mile just about every night. The B-TNF allows camping just about anywhere off the road along the Greys River. This policy was originally intended for tent campers but has been expanded to include huge Class A motor homes.

Dry camping is a great way to get away from the crowds. I enjoyed it so much last summer that I signed up for the Uinta NF this summer.

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
SSRLVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempert View Post
SSRLVA -

There are such places! I was a campgound host for the USFS in the Bridger-Teton NF last summer and most nights I was the only person in the campground. However, there were probably at least 10 people camped within 1/8 mile just about every night. The B-TNF allows camping just about anywhere off the road along the Greys River. This policy was originally intended for tent campers but has been expanded to include huge Class A motor homes.

Dry camping is a great way to get away from the crowds. I enjoyed it so much last summer that I signed up for the Uinta NF this summer.
Whats a USFS? Sounds intriguing!
Old 05-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #5
MarknMaqhi

USFS = USDA Forest Service, if I am correct. I miss the Upper Peninsula of Michigan... my old home... more miles of USFS forestry roads than state highways it seemed. Ottowa and Hiawatha NF's. I always wondered if it were possible to just camp along them.

Not so much down here. however, looking forward to dry camping/boondocking in a place down here called Alexander Springs in the Ocala NF... just wish we hadn't reserved in the heat of summer...heh... we'll see how it goes.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
rotor_wash
Site Sponsor

United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service
AKA National Forest Service
http://www.fs.fed.us/

2002 3124KS
2007 Tahoe
Solar
rotor_wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:03 PM   #7
Joseph

Default YOUR National Forests...:)

Hello SSRLVA

"I guess what I am asking is: How do you find a "place" to go rough it totally of the grid and away from every other living soul?"

I took the liberty of copying some information from a National Forest Website.

“You Don't Have to Camp in a Campground.
National Forests mean room to roam. You can camp anywhere
in Carson National Forest. Some restrictions apply. Please
check with the local Forest Service Office”

Here is the page that I took it from.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/carson/recre...ng/index.shtml

I took it from the Carson National Forest web page as it is an area that I have boon-docked in on many occasions while I lived in Santa Fe. ( Tent and pop-up camping at the time. )I have as yet taken the TM out to such an area. However there are forum members who do so. This forum contains tons of information regarding boon-docking
( or not to – depending on who you ask… )
But in an effort to assist with your question I have found the National Forests to supply areas to boon-dock in. Most forest specific information can be found in the maps of the National Forest in question. Inquiring at the local rangers office is a good idea and has usually provided me with sites that are private and little used. Not to mention you can catch up on the local fire and wildlife information.

Try this web site for the location of National Forests.

http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/map/finder.shtml

Hope it helps and happy camping to you!
Old 05-02-2007, 05:57 PM   #8
Caver
Site Sponsor

Default Boondocking?

Once year we go camping with a bunch of friends... In this case it's over 1000 in an undisclosed location on property that we own as a group. No hookups so we call it boondocking. It's amazing how many campers you can get in the TM on a rainy day.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boondocking-1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1847  
Caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:55 PM   #9
SSRLVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
Hello SSRLVA

"I guess what I am asking is: How do you find a "place" to go rough it totally of the grid and away from every other living soul?"

I took the liberty of copying some information from a National Forest Website.

“You Don't Have to Camp in a Campground.
National Forests mean room to roam. You can camp anywhere
in Carson National Forest. Some restrictions apply. Please
check with the local Forest Service Office”

Here is the page that I took it from.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/carson/recre...ng/index.shtml

I took it from the Carson National Forest web page as it is an area that I have boon-docked in on many occasions while I lived in Santa Fe. ( Tent and pop-up camping at the time. )I have as yet taken the TM out to such an area. However there are forum members who do so. This forum contains tons of information regarding boon-docking
( or not to – depending on who you ask… )
But in an effort to assist with your question I have found the National Forests to supply areas to boon-dock in. Most forest specific information can be found in the maps of the National Forest in question. Inquiring at the local rangers office is a good idea and has usually provided me with sites that are private and little used. Not to mention you can catch up on the local fire and wildlife information.

Try this web site for the location of National Forests.

http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/map/finder.shtml

Hope it helps and happy camping to you!
**blinks**

Wow! Thanks!

They seem to be specifically referring to tents.. but they have appeared to left it open to RV's. While most of the time my wife would likely prefer to stay at some campgrounds where they have facilities and a pool, and the like... I can see a trip a year like this.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:56 PM   #10
SSRLVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver View Post
Once year we go camping with a bunch of friends... In this case it's over 1000 in an undisclosed location on property that we own as a group. No hookups so we call it boondocking. It's amazing how many campers you can get in the TM on a rainy day.

Ray

a thousand? That isn't boondock camping, thats a festival.