TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2015, 05:54 AM   #1
ArkyDoodle

Default Pacific NorthWest

We're planning a trip at the end of June - early July to the Pacific NW. (Northern Calif, Oregon primarily maaaaybe Wash).

I'm trying to determine the best route, camping along the way but the software that I've seen on the internet do no do very good with multi-day journeys, i'll tell me that AR to OR is 2200 miles here's the interstates that'll get you there.....Not really what I'm looking for. Do any of you use the Delorme (or other software) to plan your trips......Usually we just head out and see what we see (we have some idea what's out there and the route we're taking) but the DW is getting a little nervous about that approach, so the "complete" plan would be nice to have in hand (even if the driver strays a bit)

Any recommendations for must see campsites?? What software package do you use to route your trip??

TM - 2014 2417KS SilverTrail --- SOLD
Purple Line Enduro Caravan Movers
ArkyDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:46 AM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

We are headed out that way some time in the nest couple of weeks.
I use Garmin's Mapsource program with a Nuvi 2497LMT and 550.
If you have a Garmin product, Mapsource is free from the Garmin website and will require downloading another mapping program and installing first if you don't already have a Garmin map on your computer. The second is called Base Camp; it does ok but is really geared more towards the fitness crowd.

To use either load up your camping waypoints, select the route tool and click on the first CG and scroll to the second CG and click on it. Press escape click on the selector tool and click once on the just completed route. You can now edit the route to the roads you want to use. Base CAmp and Mapsource are similar but not exactly the same with this so practice first and upload a route you are already familiar with to the GPS then drive it!

I prefer Mapsource because it does a better job when you view the route in Google Earth.

The second lets me load geocaches in addition to the route(s).

MapQuest and Google maps aren't talking very well to the Garmin products at present.

The POIfactory a web site for point of interest files(POI) has a lot of free files for various automotive GPS devices.

The current CG file there for Garmin is 20k+ waypoints.

Moved our route to here:http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=16099

We no longer use Street Atlas got ver 10 but the last decent one was ver 6.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:45 AM   #3
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I've been using Delorme since SA6 (last century). In fact I still use SA6 for quick lookups since the later versions are much more complex and slower to load.

Even back then I could find places quickly and create stops and vias.

That said, on the road I generally use Google Maps on my cell phone since it can access real time traffic information and generate alternate routes.

Not saying it has not ordered a turn into a concrete barrier or fence before but seems very good for long haul driving.

For a long time I thought that Windows on tablets was the future. Not so sure now. Many missed opportunities particularly with Windows to Go.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:02 AM   #4
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

We did a 13,000 mile trip last year and I signed up for Good Sam Club. I found there trip planner to be extremely useful. You can plan your route and it will show you campgrounds along the way. I would say it shows 95 % of the campgrounds. Provides additional information about the campground and a rating. Once I have the name of a campground I think I might use I than Google it to check it out further. It was $25 but I felt it was worth the money for planning a long trip. I am using it again now to plan our trip to the Canadian Rockies this summer.

Scrubjaynest posted a good list of resources for finding campgrounds. See the link below. We originally bought our Galaxy Tab so we would have a hot spot for the computer when traveling. Have found the GPS on it to be excellent for getting to destinations. Also can get free app for finding campgrounds and dump stations.

The route you want to take depends on what kinds of things you enjoy but I will say, for us, every national park we visited has been a pleasure. Our favorites are Yellowstone, Bryce, Zion and Capitol Reef. I have lots of pictures on my Flickr site. There is a link to it in my signature.

Additional resources for finding campgrounds.
http://trailmanorowners.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=11073

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:12 AM   #5
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Need to try and get back into our Flicker acct so we can post photos; don't remember the pass word and the e-mail address for it is an acct that no longer exists.

Two other things we do on mapping is transfer our routes from the computer to a paper road atlas. When we get a NF or NP we also pick up their maps. Really like the National Geographic ones. They show the roads, trails, trail usage and CG's

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-12-2015, 11:22 AM   #6
ArkyDoodle

One of the overnight stops on the way to Oregon was in Wells, Nevada (right on I80), a Mom & Pop campground called Welcome Station RV Park.....It's basically the owners backyard --- very lush, HUGE cottonwood trees, green grass (no "real" sites, just a large grassy area where the owner instructs you where to park).....Quiet.......and only $15/night w/water and electric

My wife refers to it as our oasis in the Nevada desert.....will definitely stop there again if we need an over nighter...

TM - 2014 2417KS SilverTrail --- SOLD
Purple Line Enduro Caravan Movers
ArkyDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #7
stormpeakco

Default Dos OR destinations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkyDoodle View Post
One of the overnight stops on the way to Oregon was in Wells, Nevada (right on I80), a Mom & Pop campground called Welcome Station RV Park.....It's basically the owners backyard --- very lush, HUGE cottonwood trees, green grass (no "real" sites, just a large grassy area where the owner instructs you where to park).....Quiet.......and only $15/night w/water and electric

My wife refers to it as our oasis in the Nevada desert.....will definitely stop there again if we need an over nighter...
Kinda depends on what you wish to do during the day??
Earlier chapter in our lives, we resided/worked in northern OR for 15+ years.
Here are two.
1) Crater Lake vs. Diamond Lake
road bike ride around (or part) Crater Lake is epic.

and ~ 3hrs north
2) Metolius River/Camp Sherman (vs. places along the Deschutes, near Bend)
terrific fishing, hiking, mtb'g and some of the best microbrews on the planet.
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Isn't Wells the close to the Bonneville Salt Flats ? Good reason for me.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:35 PM   #9
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

We bypassed Wells and went to Thomas Canyon thru Elko, NV. Spent a very nice 3 days there. At our first RV park since 2012 in Winnemmucca NV tonight. From here headed up nv 95 to 140 with an over night at Mud Crk, USFS CG. From there into Farewell CG another USFS CG about 15 west of Crater LK.