TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
brulaz

Default Winterize water plumbing

Why doesn't Trailmanor require anti-freeze in its water system during freezing?

It seems like every other manufacturer recommends it.

I guess we have more drains, but is that all there is to it?

It certainly is way more convenient, especially when camping off and on in the spring and fall with the threat of freezing temperatures.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

I don't know about anti-freeze; I just open the drains and then blow out the lines with air. You can get plastic fitting at any hardware store to fit the water hose inlet.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Why doesn't Trailmanor require anti-freeze in its water system during freezing?
Because there is no water in the water system to freeze. The system is easy to drain by gravity. Just open the four drain valves under the camper, and turn on the faucets inside the camper. These steps drain all the water out of the system, including the water heater and the fresh water tank, with four easy exceptions. The exceptions are:

1. The water pump. After draining the system, run it for 5 seconds or so clear the pump chamber.
2. The kitchen faucet sprayer. After draining, unscrew the spray head and shake it out.
3. The bathroom shower head. After draining, unscrew the spray head and shake it out.
4. The outside shower head. After draining, turn on both outside shower valves, and remove the shower head and shake it out.

Having done this, there is no water left in the system to freeze.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
brulaz

So I guess it is just Trailmanor's careful placement of drains in the pipes.

Just surprising to me that other manufacturers aren't doing the same thing as it makes it so simple.

Instead they have water heater by-passes so as not to waste anti-freeze by filling the water heater.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Yes, the engineers at TM didn't just luck into this. It was an early design goal, and was well met. And it is documented in the Owner's Manual.

Having said all that, I have no idea whether the same idea works in the Elkmont. Your Owner's Manual will tell you, of course.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:22 AM   #6
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Having said all that, I have no idea whether the same idea works in the Elkmont. Your Owner's Manual will tell you, of course.
It seems to. I follow the instructions you gave above (and tap the toilet's flush valve a few times once most of the water has drained).

Only problem we've had was when I once forgot to remove the kitchen sink sprayer (an easy replacement).
Old 11-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
rumbleweed

Couple of comments .
If you use a compressor to blow the lines as just remember to reduce the pressure, I usually use 20 PSI. I also pour about 1/2 cup of RV antifreeze in the sink and tub drains just to fill the trap. There are washers in all the spray nozzles you are removing, be careful not to lose them. This is also a good time to check/replace the WH anode rod. Also check ( open) the two dump valves to insure that water has not filled the drain pipes next to the dump valves as a result of moving the TM after the Toilet and grey water tank have been drained.
I also take put 2-3 cotton balls soaked with peppermint oil in a small glass jar on the floor. It keeps out mice, crickets and other unwanted critters and makes the TM small fresh when you open it. Be careful not to get it on the the floor or any surfaces as it can damage them.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
There are washers in all the spray nozzles you are removing, be careful not to lose them.
X2

Been there, done that (lost one). I now wire the washer to the spray nozzle.

Have never put antifreeze in the traps though. But haven't had a problem as most of the Winter we're in Florida. So far it's just been the occasional over-night, spring and fall freezes. Definitely a good idea for more lengthy cold spells though.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
Redhawk

I noticed that I could see water in the shower drain, I assume because the trap is right there, so i put antifreeze in all the drains.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
rumbleweed

All the drains have traps and therefore will have some water. You could blow it out but then you would have odors from the grey tank. We get below zero nights here so I don't want to take the chance. The drain plumbing is fairly small diameter so 1/2 to 3/4 cup will work fine. One gallon last several years.