TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-29-2007, 08:00 AM   #1
all4camping

Default Anyone close to Jasper, GA?

I'm purchasing a 2619 in Jasper, GA but I'm coming from Chattanooga,TN. Neither the seller nor myself know what we need to do to set up, break down or attach to my vehicle. . . is there anyone nearby that might be able to walk us through whatever it is we need to be able to do in order for me to tow the trailer back to Chattanooga? The dealership where the trailer was purchased in Conyers, GA is no longer in business so that is not an option. I have found a dealer about 100 miles away in McDounough but that doesn't seem feasible. I haven't been able to find a closer dealer. The seller is recently divorced; she and her husband purchased the TM and NEVER even opened it up. The warranty just expired. I'd like to have the trailer checked out and have a set up from a dealer but it seems that will have to wait. Of course, I would be willing to pay someone for their time to help us. We're both single and teachers so we're not afraid to try it ourselves - but we both realize we need help! I'm looking at going down sometime over the next couple of weeks. Over a weekend preferably.

Dona Jo
TM '06 2619
TV '03 Explorer Sport,v6,2wd,:corkysm60
all4camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Well, for the basic task of getting it from Jasper to Chattanooga (about 80 miles), let's start with the basic requirements.

You need a Class III/IV hitch receiver on your Explorer Sport. That is the one with the 2" square opening. If you have a Class II hitch (1" square opening) then you must have it replaced.

You must have a hitch with a 2" ball. The hitch should be rated for AT LEAST 500 pounds tongue weight / 5000 pounds towing capacity. More would be better.

Eventually, you will need a weight-distributing hitch (WDH) - you might as well buy one now. A rating in the range of 6000-10,000 pounds is good. When you buy it, have the installer show you how to use it.

You will need a 7-way (7-pin) electrical connector on the rear of your Sport. Not a 6-way, not a 4-way, but a 7-way. It must be properly wired into the Sport; there is no adapter that will convert a 6-way to a 7-way.

You will need an electric brake controller, properly mounted and wired. Since you say you are newbies, I will suggest that a Tekonsha Prodigy is the right choice.

Before you leave, make sure that both TM tires plus the spare are properly inflated - they should carry 50 psi. Make sure you know how to get the spare off the rack - it isn't difficult, but you don't want to be investigating it for the first time beside the road.

You will need extension mirrors - the Sport isn't wide enough to let you see the road properly. Many people on this board use McKesh mirrors. Most (but not all) like them.

OK, that should get you through the first 80 miles. Once you get home and start outfitting it for real camping, there is plenty more. And by the way, you are going to love it!

By the way, the seller may have a lot of these things (weight-distributing hitch, mirrors, brake controller), and I would presume that it would be part of the purchase. Your issues may be more logistical than anything else - how to get these things from the seller beforehand, and then get them installed so you can go down and pick up your trailer.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
Freedom

One of the first things I would suggest is that you download Mike and Kelly's TM manual here: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2472
It's for a 2720, but it will give you an excellent overview of what to expect. mentioned the plug for the electrical connection - make sure it's a Bargeman type (commonly called an RV plug in the industry)- not necessarily that brand Pollack makes them, too, AND that it's the type with flat connectors - not round. It's the first type shown on this page: http://www.championtrailers.com/TRAILER_RECEPTACLES.htm NOT the fourth type which also has 7 pins but they're round. The one with round pins is what the truckers use.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
Joseph

Default Congratulations on the purchase of your TM!

ALL4CAMPING.

Congratulations on the purchase of your TM!

In your post you do not state what, if any, type of towing experience you have. Have you towed anything before?

I live in Griffin GA, just about 10 miles from McDonough RV. They have a driver and TV to move RV’s around if you choose to have them pick it up and check it out for you. I do not know what they would charge but they seem to be professional. Most of the TM people that were at Southern One (used to be in Conyers ) are at McDonough RV now.

I have had my 2006 2720SL since January and have taken 4 camping trips in it. While I am not an expert by any means I might be able to help. On the condition that you accept what ever help I may be able to render for free. Depending on where ( Jasper GA north of the end of interstate 575 ? ) and when ( that’s the hard one! ) I and the DW may be able to meet up with you in Jasper. I have not asked her yet that is the when problem! You can get to my email address via this forum.

Happy camping!
Old 04-29-2007, 03:24 PM   #5
all4camping

Thank you all so much for responding to my post!
I was hoping I would hear from Bill! I knew I would get the right advice here on the forum. I do have Mike & Kelly's manual downloaded and printed, and have been browsing through off and on. I plan to have the elec brakes installed here before I leave, I have the class III hitch receiver and a 2" ball already - I'm moving up from a viking 1906 pop up. The seller has a weight dist hitch and all her original paperwork and manuals. Perhaps what I SHOULD do is have someone from the dealership in McDounough pick it up and check it out before I actually have anything done to my vehicle here. That way I could have the work done at the dealership and maybe get the new owner orientation at the same time. Please advise.

Dona Jo
TM '06 2619
TV '03 Explorer Sport,v6,2wd,:corkysm60
all4camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:38 PM   #6
Joseph

Default Call em!..:)

Perhaps what I SHOULD do is have someone from the dealership in McDounough pick it up and check it out before I actually have anything done to my vehicle here. That way I could have the work done at the dealership and maybe get the new owner orientation at the same time. Please advise.

Give them a call on Monday to see what they can do and for how much